UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Glue Reviews? (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=160624)

Tractionist 17th Oct 2019 4:09 pm

Glue Reviews?

Has anyone tried Bondic [plastic welding UV catalysed] glue yet? If so I'd appreciate your feed-back. ???

The Philpott 17th Oct 2019 5:12 pm

Re: Glue Reviews?

There's several (independent?) reviews on youtube for Bondic. I have not had cause to use it...yet.
Dave

60 oldjohn 17th Oct 2019 10:00 pm

I was about to ask the question. The advert advises to get extra tubes of glue, which make me wonder just how much glue is in a tube. If the product is as good as they advertise it sounds good but expensive.

John.

Skywave 17th Oct 2019 11:57 pm

"Glue reviews": by far, the most effective ethyl-2-cyanoacrylate adhesive (a.k.a. 'super glue') I have ever used is 151 Hard as Nails Super Glue in a 20 gm. plastic bottle. It's not expensive; it sets quite quickly and Oh my! It really is difficult to 'unstick' it! :o So being really careful with this stuff is essential Do not get it on your fingers! :devil: And as with all 'Super Glues', do not get it hot (when it's set or otherwise) if your face is close to it: the fumes are a very severe irritant to the eyes and possibly to your lungs. :angry:

Al

Tractionist 18th Oct 2019 8:21 am

Hmmm .....

The YouTube reviews [that I've looked at to-date] seem to conclude that differing adhesives are required for different plastics. Recently I repaired the shattered boss on a small sixty odd year old waxy/nylon type thumb wheel. This plastic is always difficult to repair and is perhaps best hot-welded. In the end [after several attempts] I managed to tack it all together with superglue, and then reinforced the outer perimeter of the boss with a fillet of epoxy resin.

One concern with UV catalysed adhesives seems to be that it doesn't seem to be activated on concealed surfaces i.e. where the UV cannot penetrate. They say that it's not a 'glue' but rather a 'weld'. However - plastic solvent weld adhesives have been around for quite a while [primarily used in plastic plumbing applications]. Admittedly, these latter adhesives don't set 'instantly' - but they do rely on melting and re-forming the parent plastic ..... which Bondic doesn't seem to do. :shrug:

Radio Wrangler 18th Oct 2019 12:51 pm

It's being advertised so hard that it puts me off to start with.

David

stevehertz 18th Oct 2019 1:15 pm

Can we make this thread a sticky?

Tractionist 18th Oct 2019 1:22 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevehertz (Post 1184678)
Can we make this thread a sticky?

Only if you have a source [sauce?] of UV handy! :laugh1:

Radio Wrangler 18th Oct 2019 2:04 pm

But different plastics really do need different adhesives to bond and if necessary to flex.

"There's a broken British payphone on the road to Kathmandu,
Where a green-eyed man with a yellow van is searching for his glue."

David