UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   I hate Steampunk AVOs (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=151803)

Sinewave 25th Mar 2019 6:21 pm

Re: I hate Steampunk AVOs

I've considered doing that, but only to a Mk5 I have which has an open coil, so the unit is useless/spares anyway.

But I see that as a challenge rather than derogatory to the Avo, as it's one which doesn't work anyway.

The General 25th Mar 2019 10:22 pm

I like steampunk as a style if it's done well. I saw a steampunk laptop once which was very good - polished wood & brass keys with a cabinet key for the power switch - but some people think sticking a lamp & some gas fittings on a piece of vintage kit does the job. No it doesn't & it's a particularly egregious act if a vintage item is destroyed in the process.
I don't have so much of an issue if an incomplete or damaged item is 'upcycled' in this way, although it could be argued that this removes a potential source of spares from circulation (discuss). A local antique shop has an Avo 7 with a length of conduit & a bulb sticking out the top - it looks :censored: awful.
Mark

The Philpott 25th Mar 2019 10:45 pm

As regards the Avometer, it's the perfect storm scenario- aesthetically pleasing (even to drill bandits) rather heavy, made of a material that is an extremely good insulator. Add to this that the visage of the Avo barely changed for decades- which means that the ignorant see something that 'must' be archaic and obsolete, and only good for decoration or re-purposing.

Dave

6AL5W-Martin 30th Mar 2019 7:52 pm

if I will get a steampunk AVO I will do a fine restoration to become the original instrument.

I hate people who destroy cute old test instruments.

greetings from germany
Martin

The Philpott 30th Mar 2019 8:53 pm

If money was no object Martin, I would buy many of them and do the same. I did it once and had to ask the steampunker to supply all the bits which he had removed.
We were both polite about it but it was clear that we had opposite views.
Dave

electronicskip 10th Apr 2019 1:05 pm

A couple more examples of steampunk today on Bargain Hunt .
One was a Hanimex 8mm camera on a tripod turned into a lamp and also an older Vacuum cleaner also morphed into a lamp , both with the repro style filament bulbs in you can buy today.

Malcolm G6ANZ 11th Apr 2019 5:46 pm

These 'up cyclers' seem to be lacking in imagination. Almost everything gets morphed into a lamp��

6AL5W-Martin 11th Apr 2019 6:42 pm

bec. they are to stupid to build another thing then a lamp ..

Radio Wrangler 11th Apr 2019 8:42 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ilikevalvesme (Post 1131831)
A local antique shop has an Avo 7 with a length of conduit & a bulb sticking out the top - it looks :censored: awful.
Mark

I'm a complete rotter. I'd go in and have a careful look at it. No doubt the shopkeeper would come over and ask if I wanted a closer look...

"A model 7 Avometer, and it's the one with the (made up special feature like Ohms scale in red or not in red).. Those are really quite valuable... pity it's had the innards taken out and a hole drilled in it.... shame.... I've always wanted one for the collection"

David

Paul_RK 11th Apr 2019 8:43 pm

I've yet to see an upcycled (dread word) Avo at the local flea market, but there was a Spong mincer-turned-lamp t'other week. I suppose there's no particular shortage of those, though perhaps there are Spong mincer enthusiasts who would groan inwardly at such a sight.

Sinewave 11th Apr 2019 11:06 pm

I wonder if I can turn an old lamp into a multimeter?

Radio Wrangler 12th Apr 2019 7:05 am

A bit like the piece of string as a weather station?

If the lamp is dim, the voltage is low
If the lamp is bright, the voltage is high
If the lamp went out with a ping! the voltage is too high
If the lamp is smashed with arcing across the support wires, the voltage is very, very high.

Different voltage bulbs on a range switch?
A battery for the ohms range.

But you need to find a really nice rare and treasured type of lamp to do it to.

David

stuarth 15th Apr 2019 2:01 pm

If the bulb is still there, it hasn't really been modified.

How about a "tone-ohm" type circuit instead of the bulb, and test probes instead on a mains plug?

Stuart.

electronicskip 19th Apr 2019 4:14 pm

A reel to reel tape recorder was Steam punked into a Robot/lamp today on money for nothing.

Guest 20th Apr 2019 11:16 am

8-\ a robot/lamp.... does it cook or clean the house??