UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Clubs, Groups and Societies (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Rusbridge's Auctions: 4 for 2019 (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=149496)

RobRusbridge 4th Sep 2018 5:22 pm

Rusbridge's Auctions: 4 for 2019

Confirmation (at last) of the Down South dates and location, to go with the Up Norths already booked. Dates for 2019 now confirmed as:

13th January (Sunday) Hoghton near Preston. PR5 0SG sat-nav.
7th April (Sunday) Radnage near High Wycombe. HP14 4DJ sat-nav.
9th June (Sunday) Hoghton near Preston. PR5 0SG sat-nav.
20th October (Sunday) Radnage near High Wycombe. HP14 4DJ sat-nav.

Over to you, then. We need buyers and sellers. If you're coming to the auction, why come with the boot of the car completely empty? Surely those sheds and garages could be tidier? We have some of the very best buyers in the kingdom on our Christmas card list. A sprinkle of nice items already entered for the first two auctions of the year, but only just a start. A ham radio rig and a box of valves do not, on their own, make a viable action.

Still time to book a Cornish Weekend Auction for September. B&B and hotels still open in September but much cheaper than the summer holidays. Eden project just up the road. If you're "up for it" let me know, but remember we will really desperately need some items to sell. Projected location quite close to Bodmin, right where the A30 from Exeter meets the A38 from Plymouth.

Gloves off, down to business!!
Rob.

AC/HL 4th Sep 2018 8:14 pm

Re: Rusbridge's Auctions: 4 for 2019

Added to the calendar.

RobRusbridge 4th Sep 2018 9:41 pm

Just got a booking. Thanks, chaps!

bigtony 5th Sep 2018 9:45 am

Do you need to be a member of any club to attend these auctions? Or are they open to all collectors?

Paul Stenning 5th Sep 2018 11:39 am

Rob's auctions are open to all, and have no connection with the BVWS, Radiophile or anything else.

It is great to see another alternative, covering different areas of the country.

Boater Sam 5th Sep 2018 12:11 pm

You need to be able to eat cornish pasties!

Dave Moll 5th Sep 2018 8:51 pm

Believe it or not, they are optional!

bigtony 5th Sep 2018 10:38 pm

Will definitely give the High Wycombe ones a look.

RobRusbridge 6th Sep 2018 5:57 pm

Actually, you don't have to be able to eat Cornish pasties to come to one of our auctions. I know this because I can't eat those particular ones myself. They're finished with an egg-and-milk wash, and I'm allergic to milk!
Rob.

Dave Moll 24th Sep 2018 8:08 am

Apologies for a minor hi-jack of this thread, but those about this year's auction are now closed.

Towards the end of the original thread, Rob said he would publish the results shortly, but I can't find them on the web page. Did these go up, and if so where can I find them please?

RobRusbridge 25th Sep 2018 7:19 pm

Those results are still on my computer, as is the updated web page, but neither are on the internet yet. Will do something concrete about that as soon as possible. Won't be this week. One of my other "lines of business" has finally done something and I'm up to my neck in bits of old Hornby O Gauge toy trains.
Rob.

Boater Sam 25th Sep 2018 7:35 pm

They are not toy trains! Models surely?
I have an ex neighbour who has or had one of every item made, in both left and right hand way, that's a lot of tin plate.
Are you on track then Rob?
Sam.

AC/HL 26th Sep 2018 8:48 pm

Toy, model, or real, railways are OT for the open forum.

Boater Sam 26th Sep 2018 9:41 pm

Ooops, Rob got me smacked.
Despite this, good luck Rob, I'll attend when I can.
Sam.

RobRusbridge 27th Dec 2018 12:24 pm

I hope everyone had a good time while the festivities were underway. Now it's just "that boring bit between Christmas and New Year" and you could do worse than go hunting for some lots for the 13th January auction near Chorley.

If you do something about it now, you can remove "clear out some old stuff" from your list of New Year Resolutions and have one less on your conscience by the end of January when they have all faded away without happening.

I'm doing it here; join in and we'll see if we can all tidy up a bit and earn some gold stars on our behaviour charts!

Ed_Dinning 27th Dec 2018 9:30 pm

Hi Rob, can we have a link to the auction catalogue as you develop it please.

Ed

Hoveradio 27th Dec 2018 11:37 pm

I think this is what you're after Ed.
John.
http://www.steamradios.com/

Trifocaltrev 30th Dec 2018 12:05 am

Many thanks John for that link, it will be most useful.

Trevor. :)

Gridiron 30th Dec 2018 10:45 am

Looking at the results list of the last auction I assume the unsold lots didn't reach a reserve price as some looked too good not to sell.
Mike

Dave Moll 30th Dec 2018 10:48 am

I can confirm that this is true for some lots. I certainly recall one lot on which I bid that had a higher reserve than I was willing to pay.

RobRusbridge 7th Jan 2019 9:43 pm

Catalogue (first version) now available at web site.
http://www.steamradios.com
There are many lots coming "on the morning" which won't make the catalogue at all, and several which will make the catalogue but are currently still to be confirmed. Still time to enter lots and get them in the catalogue.
I am receiving photos of some lots. I will peg these together into a "notes and pictures" document on Wednesday, which will also be available from the above link when ready.
Van and trailer about 40% loaded. Found the bidding cards and the microphone. Washing grubby table-cloths at the moment!
Rob.

Kentode 9th Jan 2019 8:35 am

Just a quick one, Rob.

What time do the doors open and auction commence?:thumbsup:

RobRusbridge 9th Jan 2019 11:41 pm

Pictures and notes (where available) are now available on the web site.
http://www.steamradios.com
Just under where you download the catalogue.
Doors open for viewing and/or delivery of "on the morning" lots at 9:30 am. The auction will commence at 12:30 pm.
No entry fee to get in. Catalogues free from web site. Tea and coffee 50p and while stocks last, a free chocolate digestive with each cup.
Payment by cash or card welcome, sellers paid out within two weeks of the sale by cheque.
Last pre-sale edition of the catalogue on the web site by the end of Thursday. Many lots expected Sunday morning. I can only guess at the final number of lots.
See you there, everyone!

Kentode 10th Jan 2019 12:01 pm

Thanks Rob, I'll be bringing three others with me on the understanding that if they outbid me it's a long walk back!

Really looking forward to it, good luck.:thumbsup:

RobRusbridge 10th Jan 2019 12:16 pm

Late news.
If all goes according to plan, a decent collection of Bakelite and plastic radios will be arriving on Saturday for inclusion in Sunday's extravaganza. These will easily push us past 200 lots, before anyone arrives with any more late entries (and we do encourage late entries). Only seen the photos but we're not discussing a pile of old tat here. You may have to outbid the auctioneer (me!) on one set in particular.
Rob.

RobRusbridge 12th Jan 2019 5:06 pm

4 Attachment(s)
Look what we did this morning! Thanks to a select band of very able helpers, we are pretty much "where we should be" for tomorrow's auction. Oh, and by the way, those Bakelite and plastic radios did arrive, and they are not disappointing. Going into Sunday, we stand at 225 lots, so we can confidently expect to exceed 250 lots with the on-the-day entries. Doors open 9:30 am. Sale starts 12:30 pm. See you tomorrow! (Pasties and Windy Pies in the fridge)
I love it!
Rob.

HamishBoxer 12th Jan 2019 5:53 pm

Good luck with your back(s) lifting the AR88 off the floor!

Radio Wrangler 12th Jan 2019 7:07 pm

Spiffing display!

AR88 on the floor seems right in view of my experiences of folding table legs!

David

dave walsh 12th Jan 2019 8:45 pm

Looks like a good example of the 88 model though. I mentioned that my "mentor" as a teenager had an excellent example in his shack. I though he was getting on for 80 years himself but he "took the weight" in his stride just being grateful he could afford one I suppose8-\ There was a strikingly different attitude/acceptance re weight and size back then before commercial equipment for Amateur Radio arrived. Sorry I can't make your great looking event Rob. I'm being held captive in the south. Next time hopefully!
Some interesting sets like the white fronted Bakelite one with the horizontal scale bursting out of it's roof, can anyone ID it? and what's in the box next to the 88?.

Dave W
E Sussex

Radio Wrangler 12th Jan 2019 11:02 pm

Put a decent speaker on it and if the alignment is right, that AR88 could easily produce the best sound there.

Everyone ought to try one!

David

music-centre 13th Jan 2019 12:19 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave walsh (Post 1110097)
Some interesting sets like the white fronted Bakelite one with the horizontal scale bursting out of it's roof, can anyone ID it? and what's in the box next to the 88?.

The White fronted one looks like an Ultra T491, I have got one to fix up somewhere! :)
Steve.
https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/ultra_t491t_49.html

dave walsh 13th Jan 2019 1:48 am

Oh yes that's definitely the one Steve. Thanks for posting!

Dave W

Mark James 13th Jan 2019 7:01 pm

Well ... those of you who said that you were coming and did not, missed something. I sold some things and picked up some bargains. A clean AR88 chassis with all the valves for £8 (I need the transformer), six 807 NOS valves for my Cossor oscilloscopes for £10 and a new accumulator for £6 among other items. And, spent an enjoyable day among like minded people. Looking forward to the next one in June.

Mark

Big Al... 13th Jan 2019 7:13 pm

Thanks Rob for coming up North and treating us to a super event, The Cornish pasty was certainly the real McCoy. There where many bargains to be had at the auction and I bagged my share. Pity for the sellers that there weren't more buyers present..I look forward to the next "UP NORTH" auction in June.

Radio Wrangler 13th Jan 2019 7:51 pm

I'm intending coming South for the June one.

David

Kentode 14th Jan 2019 12:43 pm

Many thanks Rob for making the effort to undertake a 600 mile round journey in order to sit in front of twenty Stoneyfaced, tightfisted northerners!

This job is never going to make you rich, but if I ever win the Lottery you'll be on the list!

Once again I picked up some great bargains, including that black and ivory Ultra T491.

To anyone who wasn't sure if this auction was worthwhile it broke my heart to see the rows of beautiful radios and boxes of components that Rob was left to take back to Cornwall.

Please support this guy, he's the best thing to happen for us up north.

For those who think this auction is fast and furious, it's not. For those who think it's expensive the Ultra cost me, including commission, just £22. Let me know when, if ever, you see another one in perfect condition come up for sale at that price!

Cheers Rob.:beer:

Mark James 14th Jan 2019 1:50 pm

I could not agree more with Ken. If, in the long term, we want an auction north of the London area then we need to support Rob and make this a viable proposition for him. He has put a lot of time (and money) into this for us. We need to submit the lots and attend the auctions.

Mark

M0FYA Andy 14th Jan 2019 3:27 pm

I was disappointed not to be able to attend, especially as it's less than a mile from where I live! However I had a cataract operation last Thursday and I'm struggling with two completely unbalanced eyes, which I guess I have to live with until my second eye is done.

Andy

RobRusbridge 14th Jan 2019 11:48 pm

Thanks for all the nice comments. Thanks for your support. Thanks for all your help. Thanks for turning a wet Sunday in January into a good day out. I was very happy with the event. Everything went like clockwork. My helpers, my sellers, and my buyers are all taking the whole thing seriously and "dead set" on this becoming a success.
Don't kid yourself that the organiser is anything more than a name under which to file the paperwork. If it's to be a success, it will only be a success because everyone wants it to be, and puts in the effort to make it a success. That is certainly happening, and although we were a rather "select" gathering on auction day, the atmosphere was good, everyone was putting their backs into it, and therefore it was fun.
It needs to be fun. Why drive miles and miles to a windswept hill in Lancashire to be drenched by diagonal rain if you're not going to have any fun while you're there? Certainly more buyers will be needed in future, but the fundamentals are right and in good working order. There's always room to improve but everyone is pulling hard in the same direction and more buyers will materialise when they're more certain that they're missing out by staying at home.
I remain confident that we will get this venture properly "off the ground" because a lot of people really want it to work. Anyway, I've already paid the rent for the hall for the June session, so either I'm confident or deluded.
The only thing that went properly awry was a fuse in the van which shuffled off to Buffalo on Sunday evening, leaving us with a trailer without a single light working when it was time to go. How we enjoyed poking around under the dash trying to find and replace Fuse 19 as the rain blew sideways through the open door of the cab. Well, we dried out in the first twenty miles and got home eventually.
Once I've done the accounts and sent out the cheques to the sellers, it'll be time to think about the delights of April in Radnage. There was a big-band number about that wasn't there? Oh no, that was April in Paris. (One more time...)
Radnage is nowhere near Wigan, the famous pie centre of the universe, so I suppose I won't need so many pasties for that gig. (You tell me!)
Rob.

M0FYA Andy 15th Jan 2019 10:02 am

Some constructive criticism. I have three pals living locally who decided not to attend because the catalogue was only available at the last minute, and wasn't very informative - 'box of valves' isn't very helpful. They also commented that if I hadn't told them about it they wouldn't have been aware of it. Better advertising needed, please, including in the BVWS magazine.
Hopefully we'll be there at the next one!
Andy

dave walsh 15th Jan 2019 11:46 am

As I said on Saturday night, I couldn't make it because of family commitments in the south, unfortunately. I'll also be missing a rare gig in Rammy by one of my favourite bands as well but when you have two locations, you have to be philosophical about this sort of thing in the end! I usually get my "ducks in a row" but on this occasion they got shot.

Ironically, I was in Chorley only a couple of months ago to pick up a RG from a Forum member. What a great "Mission Statement" from Rob there. If anybody can establish a Northern event it's him! I think you may have a point about wider advertising Andy but " a box of valves" is a pretty general description in use at all the auctions. There is only so much you can do in preparation and more detail often leads to more time consuming-often futile enquiries. A chap,once refused my offer on some valves he was selling and then rang back a few weeks later [a bit shame faced] saying "I'll take your price, you were right, I was bombarded with enquiries but sold nothing and I'm exhausted!"

Lots of Forum members are miles away from any events at all so I'm surprised that your friends [living locally] were put off from popping over for a look. It's handy to have a catalogue [especially if you're at a distance] but not essential.

Dave W

RobRusbridge 15th Jan 2019 12:31 pm

Advertising. Yes. Quite agree. I'll put some effort into that now.

terry123 15th Jan 2019 12:59 pm

I'd just like to add my thanks to Rob for a very well orginised day. Robs auctionering skills and wee anecdotes also rasied a smile or two along the way. I came away with a number items at very reasonable cost.

I also know, and can well appreciate how much work would have gone into staging this event and it was a shame to see some decent sets going unsold through lack of interest.

I would echo other here as regarding better advertising but this is in no way a criticism - I knew it was happening for a good while. By the way, the BVWS offer very good advertising rates Rob!

I travelled down from Martini-Yates Towers in Rosyth, Scotland a mere 3 hours each way and had a thoroughly enjoyable day and was back in time for my dinner at 7pm that evening.

Look forward in getting to the next one.

Appreciated Rob :thumbsup:

stitch1 15th Jan 2019 1:16 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by M0FYA Andy (Post 1110955)
Some constructive criticism. I have three pals living locally who decided not to attend because the catalogue was only available at the last minute, and wasn't very informative - 'box of valves' isn't very helpful. They also commented that if I hadn't told them about it they wouldn't have been aware of it. Better advertising needed, please, including in the BVWS magazine.
Hopefully we'll be there at the next one!
Andy

I would have thought living locally and having limited description in the catalogue would have attracted your pals not the opposite, they may have missed bargains others weren't alerted too ;)

It's still a bit of a trek for me but the effort made to bring an auction north is much appreciated, I intend to be there for the June one when I can make a weekend of it.

John

Boater Sam 15th Jan 2019 1:19 pm

Would have been there too, but 16,040 miles round trip is too much to ask Rob.

We will support when back in UK, glad you had a good day.
Thanks for your continued efforts.
Sam

RobRusbridge 15th Jan 2019 1:47 pm

Don't worry, folks, you're allowed to be "otherwise engaged" - especially if, like Boater Sam, you're somewhere properly exotic like the Philippines. Let's be honest here, if you're not feeling well, you don't want to be on a Lancashire hill-side in the wild weather, or if you're somewhere far away which gets sunshine, diagonal sheets of rain are as impractical as they are unattractive. My expectation is more on the level of going to the auction being more entertaining than sitting at home watching the raindrops run down the window. I have to admit that I once skipped a local "antiques and fine art" auction (offering a very attractive estimate on a horn-topped gramophone) so I could stay home and unblock the drain under the kitchen sink and change a toilet seat. We know how to live the high life here in Cornwall.

Murphy Maniac 15th Jan 2019 5:45 pm

Really glad all went well for you Rob, got back from Amsterdam this afternoon and feel really miffed that I had to miss what looked, from the pictures, like a really interesting line up of sets/projects. I will certainly not be missing any future events if it can be at all avoided.
Very Best Wishes, and thanks for supporting us here in the North.

RobRusbridge 25th Feb 2019 6:48 pm

The next sale is at Radnage hall (HP14 4DJ) (near High Wycombe) on Sunday 7th April. The countdown has begun. Strike while the unusual weather is hot, and see if you can find something in one of those sheds or garages which can go under the hammer on 7th April.

Entry forms downloadable from http://www.steamradios.com as are the results of the previous sale "up north".

If you have time, please spread the word to those who don't use this forum because we don't really have the money for fancy advertising at this stage!

I'll be needing a couple of volunteers to help set up on Saturday 6th April too. No need for huge levels of previous experience. Also most important, we'll need a "kitchen helper" for Sunday 7th; those pasties don't warm themselves. Here again no need for huge experience. Sandwiches pre-packed, pasties oven ready so it's just the teas and coffees to brew. I have the Food Hygiene for Retail certificate so you don't need one!

Lot one is already entered. It's a 1947 Peto Scott H52 with the original bill of sale; it's a local-interest piece having started life in High Wycombe.

RobRusbridge 1st Mar 2019 6:33 pm

It's gone very quiet. Can you hear me, mother?

No entries for the auction on 7th April at Radnage, except the very first lot.

And one lot doesn't make an auction.

Anyone intending to come? Anyone got any old gear for sale?

Dave Moll 2nd Mar 2019 12:38 pm

I'm sorry I can't help with regard to Radnage, as it is the wrong end of the country for me, but I will try to put together some lots for Hoghton in June.

I hope things pick up for Radnage in the next few weeks though.