UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Dual Turntable motor fault. (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=159866)

Welsh Anorak 18th Sep 2019 11:32 am

Dual Turntable motor fault.

3 Attachment(s)
Hi
I thought I'd eventually have a look at my old Dual 505 turntable which stopped working years ago. After replacing the microswitch (O/C) and the RIFA capacitors, the motor trembles but doesn't turn. Both coils measure around 1.8k and it spins freely. Motors aren't my strong point - is there anything I can do?

audiofashion 18th Sep 2019 9:19 pm

Re: Dual Turntable motor fault.

replacing the capacitors usually sorts the motor,

Herald1360 18th Sep 2019 9:52 pm

Does it spin up if you "kickstart" it?

Michael Maurice 18th Sep 2019 11:51 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by wowitsanamstrad (Post 1177366)
replacing the capacitors usually sorts the motor,

He's replaced the capacitors. See post #1

Herald1360 19th Sep 2019 11:08 am

You might have a shorted turn on one of the motor windings which wouldn't show up on a resistance check. Try inductance checks or a "ring" test if you can do them.

Welsh Anorak 19th Sep 2019 12:18 pm

The reason I got it out of its slumber is that another identical turntable has come in for a simple repair. So I think a bit of swapping is in order!
Yo answer your question, it stubbornly sits there trembling.

Diabolical Artificer 19th Sep 2019 12:42 pm

Have you re- checked your connections Glyn? Also did you use the right value caps and they're not actually snubbers, lastly make sure the caps you subbed are ok and not shorted or leaky. Short of that try a different value of cap.

Andy.

Welsh Anorak 19th Sep 2019 1:12 pm

Hmm.
When I put my motor in the good turntable it spins merrily BUT soon there's an unpleasant smell and the feed resistor (5k1, 5W W/W) is unhappy. This runs relatively cool in the customer's machine. Oddly, my board won't spin his motor at all! Confused at this point, but as it seems my motor is duff anyway there's not much point in going further.

Beobloke 19th Sep 2019 1:16 pm

It sounds like you have motor troubles but, as an aside, I always replace all the components on any of these that I service. The resistor runs hot and eventally the coating burns off and it stinks the whole time, plus one of the capacitors has a tendency to explode when it gets old!

A complete kit of compoenents is available on a "well known auction website" for only £9 which makes it a no-brainer in my book.

Norman Raeburn 19th Sep 2019 5:18 pm

Hi Glyn, I have a scrap 505 which I believe the motor is ok. You are welcome to try it foc. Just let me know. Norman

Welsh Anorak 20th Sep 2019 1:31 pm

That's very kind of you, Norman, I'd appreciate that as I'd already invested in the capacitors, a stylus and belt before I realised it was the motor.
I'll send you my details via PM.