UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Telephony and Telecomms (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   Replacing handset cord on 200 series GPO king pyramid bakelite telephone. (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=142944)

angelapantus 11th Jan 2018 10:26 pm

Replacing handset cord on 200 series GPO king pyramid bakelite telephone.

Hi everyone. I have a lovely 1937 GPO king pyramid telephone which has been fully converted. It was working perfectly until my grandson decided to cut the handset cloth cord. I cannot now make a call as there is now no dialling tone. I have purchased a replacement cloth cord, but haven't a clue how to fit it it. I have looked on the internet, YouTube etc. and am unable to find a tutorial. Would be so grateful if anyone can help. Cheers and many thanks.x

russell_w_b 11th Jan 2018 11:15 pm

Re: Replacing handset cord on 200 series GPO king pyramid bakelite telephone.

Has your replacement cloth cord got wire loops or crimps on the end of the three cores? And are there little cotton anchor loops or cords where the cord is whipped at the ends?

angelapantus 12th Jan 2018 12:04 am

Hi Russel and many thanks for your help. Yes it has wire loops at the end of the three wires.
Regds, Angela

Graham G3ZVT 12th Jan 2018 12:39 am

Once you have removed the base-bell-set off the phone, and the mouthpiece off the handset, it's all pretty much self explanatory, or is it one or both of the above that is the difficulty?

ThePillenwerfer 12th Jan 2018 12:48 am

Have a look at this: http://www.samhallas.co.uk/collection/bits_162.htm. The only difference is that your will have the bell sandwiched between the base and the telephone itself.

russell_w_b 12th Jan 2018 10:06 am

Am I correct in thinking the screws securing the bellset to the base of the instrument have heads on them that require a special tool, or was I dreaming this?

Dave Moll 12th Jan 2018 10:15 am

Don't forget that the mouthpiece has a flange inside that may need to be depressed (by pushing a pointed object or small screwdriver into a hole at the side of the cover) before it will turn to release it. I hope I've explained that in an understandable manner!

BigClick 12th Jan 2018 7:31 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by russell_w_b (Post 1007133)
Am I correct in thinking the screws securing the bellset to the base of the instrument have heads on them that require a special tool, or was I dreaming this?

As far as I recall a flat blade screwdriver will turn them. Intrument No2?

Pellseinydd 12th Jan 2018 8:04 pm

1 Attachment(s)
The special tool is a 'Ringdriver No 5' - like a screwdriver but with a 'pin' that sticks out from centre of the blade to locate in the screwhole in the special screw used to hold the bellset into the base of the telephone.

A No 2 is a bit narrow, a No 3 or 6 with a wider blade would be better. But a doubt Angela knows what we are going on about - a wide blade screwdriver should undo the screws no problem

Ian

russell_w_b 12th Jan 2018 8:33 pm

This is what I was on about - and I guess not all instruments are fitted with it; I don't think it would be a problem to get access to the instrument above the bellset anyway. I was only half-dreaming! :D

http://www.britishtelephones.com/pyramidandbell.htm

Oldcodger 15th Jan 2018 11:37 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Moll (Post 1007135)
Don't forget that the mouthpiece has a flange inside that may need to be depressed (by pushing a pointed object or small screwdriver into a hole at the side of the cover) before it will turn to release it. I hope I've explained that in an understandable manner!

To those of us that's worked on 200/300 types, that is enough. To the layman- on the mouthpiece, there is a small hole into which something like a large jewellers screwdriver can be inserted. This will depress the flange inside the mouthpiece to allow mouthpiece to be turned.

PaulR 25th Feb 2018 8:43 pm

Although not an expert I have fitted a new line cord to 200 and 300 series phones. The OP is quite near to me so I have sent a PM offering help.