UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Components and Circuits (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Silicon Chip Pantry TX & TV modulators (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=144115)

Argus25 20th Feb 2018 2:21 am

Silicon Chip Pantry TX & TV modulators

Just to advise that two articles - construction projects or kits (unrelated to any of my input) have just appeared in the recent edition of Silicon Chip which coincidentally relate to two topics recently discussed on the forum.

1)

A low power pantry TX design, it uses an MC1496 for linear modulation, it has a tunable output frequency over the MW band and used a ferrite rod coil as an output load inductor and it has a wire antenna. The design looks innovative.

2)

A really great looking RF modulator for vintage TV work, with a proper DC axis maintained for the modulator (which avoids the retrace line issues) and on top of that it has blanking circuitry to remove unwanted signals from the vertical interval. It is probably the best RF modulator project I have seen for vintage TV work so far, it appears to be designed for vintage 625 line monochrome TV's.

I have not attached images of this recent publication, but subscribers in the UK probably have these articles by now.

Their website lists the projects:

https://www.siliconchip.com.au/

arjoll 22nd Feb 2018 2:19 am

Re: Silicon Chip Pantry TX & TV modulators

I might have to pop in to Jaycar in the weekend and see if that issue has arrived on this side of the Tasman yet :)

Terry_VK5TM 22nd Feb 2018 3:00 am

And for those not in a hurry, they should show up in EPE in about 18 months.

Boater Sam 22nd Feb 2018 3:09 am

I bought it, looks very good. I've never bought Silicon Chip before. May put it on the list, I have about 6 pantries on the go.

Boater Sam 12th Mar 2018 3:18 pm

Well , I thought it was a good buy, but having explored it further it seem that the Aussies have had me over. I paid for a download copy but have received a preview copy only.
I hate being cheated like this.
I suppose that being on the other side of the world they just reckon they can do this sort of thing.
Never again.

Argus25 12th Mar 2018 3:39 pm

It is easy to think the worst of people, but its not a good approach because it just makes for hostility and anger which are feelings anyone would rather be without.

It is highly unlikely that the error in what you got, vs what you paid for, was intentional. All the folks at Silicon Chip I have communicated with appear to be really good and genuine people of the high integrity variety. I can't even imagine they would intentionally stiff any customer or subscriber. I think you should email them, once they have figured out what went wrong they'd probably mail you a free hard copy too.

Boater Sam 12th Mar 2018 3:56 pm

No reply to the email I sent of course.

Argus25 12th Mar 2018 10:18 pm

I have never used their online download service because I get the magazine mailed. So I'm not aware of any quirks in it.

So what you are saying is that you ordered/paid for the pantry Tx article (or was it the whole magazine that month ?) and you got some sort of limited incomplete version of the article on the Pantry Transmitter ?

Normally the article previews, which are limited (last time I looked on their site) you get see those for free anyway.

I wonder if that preview page address is somehow stuck in your browser history so its only showing you the free preview, not the paid for full article. Maybe try clearing the browser history and loading again might fix it ?

The full article runs from page 64 to 72 and is very detailed.

It takes S/C a day or two to respond to email because they get so many 1000's of them.

Al (astral highway) 13th Mar 2018 12:19 pm

Hey Hugo,

Thanks for the heads-up on SC and the links to these modulators. I will enjoy investigating the designs theoretically!

Boater Sam 14th Mar 2018 11:56 am

You think what you wish Argus25, I'm entitled to be angry when someone chisels $8+ out of my pension, and I am, very.

Finally got an email in reply from SC suggesting that I was not signed in, wrong, I was.

So I signed out and back in and its still only a preview version.
I suppose trying to get anywhere with the Aussies is just a waste of time.
Once bitten, very bitter. Beware of West Islanders.

paulsherwin 14th Mar 2018 1:07 pm

Let's keep things friendly and civil please.

Argus25 14th Mar 2018 1:09 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boater Sam (Post 1025852)

I must say I'm totally bewildered by your attitude. You can't be serious ? It is just a poke at Aussies right , in good jest ?

One reason I chose to move to and live in Australia is that you couldn't find more honest, genuine and down to earth people anywhere in the world. If it wasn't like this here, I would leave.

I would have expected the honorable people at Silicon Chip would have contacted you by now. If you still don't have what you paid for I'm sure S/C would simply email you the the file. If they don't make sure you got what you paid for, I'll eat my hat.

Hugo.

Boater Sam 14th Mar 2018 1:22 pm

We are off topic, no further posts from me in this thread.

HamishBoxer 14th Mar 2018 1:53 pm

Lets hope this sorts itself out and like stated the company has a heck of a lot of emails to answer.

Al (astral highway) 14th Mar 2018 5:51 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boater Sam (Post 1025852)

Hey Sam,

Ouch. I don't know the story, but I don't like to see a whole group of people, whether a nation, a profession or any other group, written off as having certain characteristics, especially undesirable ones. I really don't want to see it on this forum, especially.

I believe that everyone is doing the best they can, and yes, sometimes in small organisations things go wrong. SC is likely to be a small organisation, as it's a niche publication, not an investment bank.

I wonder if we can keep personal comments and pet hates that become personal out of the forum. It leaves a very unpleasant and after all, permanent trace.

I'm not taking sides, just saying that I like things to stay friendly and impersonal.

With that in mind, I hope we can have more evaluation of the circuits that Hugo posted, anyone?

HamishBoxer 14th Mar 2018 6:39 pm

Time to close the thread I think.

Argus25 15th Mar 2018 2:27 am

I don't think its a good idea to close the thread just yet.

Boater Sam's issue is not resolved. Lets give Silicon Chip time to help solve his issue. It would be good to hear from Boater Sam if and when they do.

Otherwise it is a thread that accuses a party like S/C of wrongdoing, without right of reply. That is hardly fair is it. I'm sure Boater Sam would be upfront enough to advise if Silicon Chip do solve his issue in the next few days.

Boater Sam 15th Mar 2018 3:21 am

They did get the webmaster to reply.
His suggestion is that my chrome browser is at fault, which I find unlikely as it is working perfectly as it always does.
I can access any site anywhere with the rider that some sites block use in the Philippines, as does one of the radio forums.
But this cannot be the issue here as I can access the SC site and see past issues, when of course I only get the preview pages as I would expect.

Seeing as some members insist on making character judgements about me I am stepping out completely, maybe for ever. I feel insulted. You made it personal.
Gentlemen, you take things far too seriously. Yes, I am angry at being cheated but some of my friends are Aussies and I am not a racist.

Mods, as this thread is now so far off topic and I see no reason why it should continue as my own private conversation, feel free to close it by all means.

Goodbye.

Sam.

arjoll 15th Mar 2018 5:50 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Argus25 (Post 1025870)
you couldn't find more honest, genuine and down to earth people anywhere in the world.

Well you can - we live just a litte to the east of Australia...

(sorry, just trying to lighten things a bit!)

Silicon Chip have been around for a while, and many of Jaycar's and Dick Smith's kitsets originated as SC articles.

paulsherwin 15th Mar 2018 11:21 am

Can everybody try to stay on topic please.

It seems extremely unlikely that any legitimate company would try to cheat Sam out of a few quid as a deliberate act. This is almost certainly a cockup or misunderstanding.

No more negative comments about national or cultural groups please. We wouldn't allow Pom bashing here, even as some sort of 'joke', so Aussie bashing is unacceptable too.