UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Computers (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   ICE Speedmaster 1000 Eprom programmer (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=146677)

jay_oldstuff 18th May 2018 9:47 pm

ICE Speedmaster 1000 Eprom programmer

Hi all I've just acquired one of the above EPROM programmers but I'm struggling to find much information on it. Apparently ICE pulled out of the UK in 2004 and their US website has no information on this programmer which is marked made in the UK. What I'm most after is a copy of the software used to run it on the PC either for DOS or windows.

I believe this is quite a high end programmer and I'd love to have it up and running.

Jay

SiriusHardware 19th May 2018 8:32 am

Re: ICE Speedmaster 1000 Eprom programmer

I have one of the ICE TECH programmers but I can't remember which model - I'm away from base at the moment but I'll have a look at what it is at the start of next week.

Mine certainly is a high end model, and includes features like the ability to be used as an EPROM emulator.

The DOS software discs may not even be readable now but I'm certain I have multiple backups on HDD.

SiriusHardware 20th May 2018 9:55 am

I have a feeling my programmer is a Micromaster but the first paragraph on the second page of this old Farnell datasheet

http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/11810.pdf

...suggests that a common suite of PC software was used for both the Speedmaster 1000(+) and the Micromaster 1000(+). You could therefore broaden your search to the software for the Micromaster as well.

I'm assuming yours is LPT (parallel) port connected, as mine is.

I'm still a day away from home - will check and see exactly what I have when I get there.

jay_oldstuff 20th May 2018 8:34 pm

thanks for the info, and yes the speedmaster uses the LPT port.

Jay

RF Burn 21st May 2018 5:54 pm

Jay,

I have an ICE Technology Micromaster 1000+ Device Programmer with software currently installed on an old Windows XP machine. I will be reassembling the XP computer tomorrow in order to do some (unrelated) programming of old electonic modules, so I will try and get the files off it for the Micromaster.

I also have the original installation disks which were for Windows 95! so are definately out of date in terms of device support. I also have another disk marked Micromaster 1000 V3.25 which is probably a lot more recent in terms of support, unfortunately these disks are 3.5" floppies which I can only read once I have my XP machine running again (I finally dropped the floppy drive when building my latest Win 10 machine as it has no IDE interface!).

Tomorrow, I will try and get all the software from my XP computer and the disks together in a zip file and burn a CD or send you a zip file, whichever you prefer and assuming someone else does not beat me to it!

Adrian.

RF Burn 21st May 2018 6:05 pm

Jay,

My memory seems to have kicked in and I remember that the software for this is called WinLV, I have had a quick google and it does come up but I have not the time to have a serious look at the moment.

In any case I do know that the version I have here is the latest as we got regular updates when this programmer was in use by my old business.

Adrian

SiriusHardware 21st May 2018 6:27 pm

I'll be having a look later tonight but I think my software dates from the DOS / Early Windows era as I remember there are .ICO files in amongst the support files. Sound like RF Burn has a newer version, one that even I might like to have a look at (but let me see what I have first).

I'm almost certain my software will not run on anything newer than Win '98 - up to that point Windows was still quite tolerant about direct access to hardware ports and a lot of EPROM software originally written to run in DOS still worked on '95-'98 if you went to it through the 'MS-DOS Prompt' icon on the Windows desktop or program list.

SiriusHardware 21st May 2018 11:44 pm

Apologies, I couldn't go on the planned Safari into the loft tonight, something came up. Will do my best to get in there later in the week.

In the meantime, RF Burn's software sounds like it has potential.

Vicboduk 22nd May 2018 11:44 am

I use the ICE Tech EP MICROMASTER LV48 which uses WinLV on a XP machine as mentioned by RF Burn.
I have a copy of WinLV 2.0.0009 14 September 2004 which I downloaded in 2009 but the file is dated 04/11/2004.
Interesting if you start the software without the programmer connected it asks which programmer do you wish to emulate, unfortunately the Speedmaster 1000 is not an option in the drop down menu. So, this version of the software may not be compatible with your programmer.
You are welcome to a copy if you wish to try it anyway.

Vic

RF Burn 22nd May 2018 1:15 pm

Unfortunately you are correct Vic, the WinLV version 2 software is not compatible with the programmers that use a 40 pin socket such as the Speedmaster 1000 & Micromaster 1000+, it was written for the 48 pin socket machines such as the LV48, which I believe have a micro inside the programmer whereas the 40 pin machine is stuffed with 74 series logic and buffer chips.

I should have my software extracted from my old XP computer in a couple of hours time.

Adrian

RF Burn 22nd May 2018 4:46 pm

Jay,

I have the software for the programmer, it is contained in a zip file of ~12 Megabytes. Please let me know if you would like it sent, it should work as an email attachment.

Adrian

SiriusHardware 22nd May 2018 7:26 pm

I have also made progress - what I have here is an ICE-TECH Micromaster MM1000E.

The 'E' signifies that it has the 'emulator' feature - a wide ribbon cable plugs into a socket on the side and goes to a DIP header plug at the other end. This feature (combined with one of the support programs) allows the programmer to pretend to be an EPROM, which obviously made development work a lot faster.

The first page of the manual states that the manual is for the following models:

Speedmaster 1000
Speedmaster 1000E
Speedmaster 8000 (Gang programmer)
Micromaster 1000
Micromaster 1000E

Certain sections of the manual apply only to the models which have the features being discussed, so the emulator section only applies to the 'E' models, obviously.

I have two floppy discs, one is the original Micromaster 1000E software disc with content largely dating from 1992-1993, and I have another plain disc on which there are updated (1995) versions of the software. These I obviously must have downloaded from ICE-TECH's BBS.

Miraculously, both of these discs are still readable and I have successfully installed the original and updated software onto a Windows 98 machine on which it was not previously installed.

In both cases the discs have an install.bat file on them and its just a case of CDing to where the files are and then typing INSTALL C:\<Directoryname> and all the the files will self extract to that target directory.

The software itself does not specifically reference the MM1000/E as the target unit, although the INSTALL batch files do make reference to the MM1000E, as does the label on the disc.

If this is of interest, I'll be glad to get copies to Jay somehow.

However to be honest I'm also deeply interested in the files Adrian has - if you have time, Adrian, could you please look and see if the MM1000 / MM1000E are in the supported units list? If so, it would be interesting to see which devices were added to the device support list post-1995.

SiriusHardware 22nd May 2018 9:24 pm

2 Attachment(s)
My (older) version of the MM1000 software is actually small enough to attach here in the form of .zip files, so here they are. May they prove useful to others looking for the same software.

MM1000E.zip is the content of the original 1992/3 DOS PC support software floppy disc for the Micromaster 1000 / 1000E.

MM1K_UD.zip contains later replacement files for some of the ones in the first archive. They expand the device list and improve on the user interface in some ways.

To install them (In DOS) extract the content of each .zip file to a separate floppy disc or HDD folder and then from within each of those discs / folders, starting with the original software disc folder, type (Example) INSTALL C:\ICE_TECH<enter> and the files will be self-extracted into the target folder. You end up with a number of folders and a few executable program files, for example run EPROM to run up the Eprom / Microcontroller / EEPROM / BPROM programming utility. If you then run the INSTALL file in the updates folder and specifiy the same target folder, the install process will overwrite the older files (you have to answer a lot of copy / skip / yes / no questions but it's worth the effort.

There's also CHIPTEST which I think is a 40xx/74xx series logic IC tester - it possibly does some SRAM ICs as well.

The device support list is not bad and includes quite a few Bipolar PROMs which many programmers don't do at all - but there are significantly more supported devices in the updated files than there are in the original files, so do apply the updates.

Jay, if you have time to check could you please let us know whether this software works with the Speedmaster (I appreciate you'll probably end up using the later Windows based WinLV software).

jay_oldstuff 22nd May 2018 9:27 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RF Burn (Post 1045656)
I have the software for the programmer, it is contained in a zip file of ~12 Megabytes. Please let me know if you would like it sent, it should work as an email attachment.

that is fantastic news, ill pm you so can arrange to get the zip off you.

Jay

SiriusHardware 22nd May 2018 11:28 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RF Burn (Post 1045608)
The WinLV version 2 software is not compatible with the programmers that use a 40 pin socket such as the Speedmaster 1000 & Micromaster 1000+, it was written for the 48 pin socket machines such as the LV48...

Armed with this info, I went looking for WinLV V1 and found it in just one place. At ~2.8MB It's slightly too big to attach here but I will retain a local copy in case it disappears from the 'net.

It's version 1.0.0241 dating from 2003, and the supported ICE TECH programmers in the drop down list offered for emulation are:

Quote:

Matrix
Matrix EP
Micromaster LV48
Speedmaster GLV32
LV40 Portable
Speedmaster LV48
EPMaster LV48
The list unfortunately does not include the MM1000 / Speedmaster 1000 series. The Win XP computer I installed it on happens not to have a parallel port so I can't just connect it to the MM1000E to see if it 'works anyway'.

Adrian, does your more up to date version have support for a wider range of ICE TECH programmers including older models?

jay_oldstuff 22nd May 2018 11:47 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SiriusHardware (Post 1045720)
My (older) version of the MM1000 software is actually small enough to attach here in the form of .zip files, so here they are. May they prove useful to others looking for the same software.

MM1000E.zip is the content of the original 1992/3 DOS PC support software floppy disc for the Micromaster 1000 / 1000E.

MM1K_UD.zip contains later replacement files for some of the ones in the first archive. They expand the device list and improve on the user interface in some ways.

To install them (In DOS) extract the content of each .zip file to a separate floppy disc or HDD folder and then from within each of those discs / folders, starting with the original software disc folder, type (Example) INSTALL C:\ICE_TECH<enter> and the files will be self-extracted into the target folder. You end up with a number of folders and a few executable program files, for example run EPROM to run up the Eprom / Microcontroller / EEPROM / BPROM programming utility. If you then run the INSTALL file in the updates folder and specifiy the same target folder, the install process will overwrite the older files (you have to answer a lot of copy / skip / yes / no questions but it's worth the effort.

There's also CHIPTEST which I think is a 40xx/74xx series logic IC tester - it possibly does some SRAM ICs as well.

The device support list is not bad and includes quite a few Bipolar PROMs which many programmers don't do at all - but there are significantly more supported devices in the updated files than there are in the original files, so do apply the updates.

Jay, if you have time to check could you please let us know whether this software works with the Speedmaster (I appreciate you'll probably end up using the later Windows based WinLV software).

wow that is brilliant I have an old 486 DOS PC this should run perfectely on. im bussy the next couple of days and am away over the bank holliday but will get right on testing it early next week and will let you know the outcome.

RF Burn 23rd May 2018 11:25 am

Jay,

Have emailed the zip file to you, so you should receive it shortly.

The WinLV version in my files is indeed 1.0.0241 which was the last revision of the code, however the support and device files are the last updates provided by IceTech before they stopped. I believe that the software found on the internet is taken from the original installation disks (just two 3.5" floppies) which I also have here, but the support files are quite limited.

Sirius, yes this version of the software does support the earlier Speedmaster and Micromaster machines, they are not listed in the programmers selection list for some reason better known to IceTech! Connect programmer to computer, execute winlv.exe and the code knows what it is connected to, just tried it out to be sure.

Adrian

SiriusHardware 23rd May 2018 12:54 pm

I suppose by 2003 the 1000 series programmers were no longer available new so there was no point in letting people 'evaluate' them.

But anyway, that's fantastic news for me as well as Jay, as it potentially takes the device list for my ancient programmer about 8 years forwards from where it was previously.

I'll try it and see if it works - I've installed WinLV V1 on a Win '98 machine, just have to find a 25 way male-male connecting lead to physically connect the unit. I know I had one somewhere. If it works, I may have to beg / plead for a copy of your updated files as well, as it sounds like you may have another two years or so of updates beyond the final software version.

RF Burn 23rd May 2018 1:11 pm

No problem Sirius, I haven't heard anything from Jay so I don't know wether he received the file OK, I was having a little trouble getting my email client to accept it! Let me know if you would like a copy via PM with your email address.

Adrian

Mikey66 23rd May 2018 1:30 pm

I have a copy a copy of WinLV V2.0.009 you can try.
This works with our old Speedmaster GLV32

If you want it PM me and I will send a link to my Google share