UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Components and Circuits (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Any suggestions as to what type of capacitor this is? (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=121845)

Oldcodger 12th Dec 2015 10:43 pm

Any suggestions as to what type of capacitor this is?

1 Attachment(s)
As to type?
It measures as circa 100nF (a sample of 5 give readings within ,mostly over, of 10% of this ) on my DVM. I first thought it might be tant, ,so I started looking for polarity markings, and only found a code, which I can't relate to the value. My only other thought is that this is a ceramic as on Express PCB, one of the PCB capacitor templates is for a .1uF ceramic capacitor ,and is as near as ?? the same in dimensions.

TonyDuell 12th Dec 2015 11:11 pm

Re: Any suggestions

Shouldn't this be in the 'components' section?

I am pretty sure it is ceramic, I've used similar capacitors for decoupling on PCBs full of digital ICs.

What is the code? Is '104' an obvious part of it? '104' would be read like a resistor colour code but in picofarads -- that is 10*10^4 picofarads, so 0.1uF

m0cemdave 12th Dec 2015 11:14 pm

It looks like a Kemet MLCC type

evingar 12th Dec 2015 11:20 pm

Definitely a ceramic - Tony is right, should have 104 on it if it's 100n.

Oldcodger 13th Dec 2015 12:21 am

Thanks, folks .No markings on it to really ID the component. it came off a PCB, loaded with digital IC, so defo ,IMHO a decoupler. And Tony- I'd have posted it in "COMPONENTS", but I didn't see that section. Personally ,with no markings as to polarity, I'd have deemed it to be a 100nF,ceramic, the remarks on here suggest like wise. Thanks for the confirmation.

MODS- I'd suggest that it might be an idea to close this,as I now know the ID of the COMPONANT.

joebog1 13th Dec 2015 12:54 am

I think its in fact whats called "monolithic ceramic" used extensively for power supply decoupling.

Joe

Radio Wrangler 13th Dec 2015 1:30 am

Axial ceramic. Probably X7R tempco/dielectric. There was a surge in using these because axial insertion machines were cheaper per part placed than radial inserters.

David

Oldcodger 14th Dec 2015 12:01 am

Re: Any suggestions as to what type of capacitor this is?

OR, could it be that many years ago , there was a BIG problem with radial decouplers(the yellow square type), where the legs parted company from the body when soldered in .

Radio Wrangler 14th Dec 2015 12:29 am

Re: Any suggestions as to what type of capacitor this is?

I don't think so. We continued to use radial NP0 parts for time-constants, fllters and tuning jobs without any problems. The edict from on high was for bulk usage decouplers to go axial.
Still when were such edicts ever sane?

Some people were referred to as Corporate Seagulls. They flew high over everyone else, made a lot of noise and showered everyone in........

David