UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Trying to revive a Goodmans One Ten receiver (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=171539)

CrazySwede 27th Oct 2020 9:16 pm

Re: Trying to revive a Goodmans One Ten receiver

1 Attachment(s)
Got the tuning unjammed! This by first cleaning the capacitor bearings with no residue contact cleaner and a lot of exercising. The some contact cleaner with lubrication and more back and forward tuning.
Very careful not to get any spray on the capacitor fins.
Also cleaned the tuning string with isopropanol.
Managed to get the cap to sit more straight by adjusting the three mounting screws. Seems as if the rubber grommets on them where unevenly compressed.

Once the tuner moved I got good reception and sweet sound quality. Alignment seems good getting local stations where they should be on the scale.

But even though I get flawless FM reception the signal strength meter is not moving.
Can this be related to the stereo lamp being broken?

CrazySwede 28th Oct 2020 8:16 am

Well that was a short and sweet success. This morning the tuning was jammed up again 8-o. Hmm. So, do I need some other kind of lubrication for the shaft/bearing of the variable cap? If so, I´m grateful for suggestions. WD40-type? Sewing machine oil?
Or could it be the fins of the cap gripping?
Also thinking the cord needs to get more friction. Is the suggestion I found googling about using bees wax for this good? :shrug:

Richardgr 28th Oct 2020 9:03 am

This has been an interesting read!

Regarding the tuning, could it be the rubber grommets on the tuning capacitor have aged, and the varcap gets misaligned too easily?

CrazySwede 28th Oct 2020 9:48 am

Yes the varcap was not sitting straight in the mount towards the chassis (as I posted a pic of a couple of posts ago)
But yesterday by adjusting the three mounting screws I got it sitting pretty straight. But you are right about the grommets being aged/compressed.
But afaik the pulley on the varcap is now straight and inline with the cord.
So I think the problem is either the two bearings were the pulley and varcaps is held in the varcap housing not running easy enough, or the cap fins having friction against eachother somehow.
But seems as if when I ad cleaner and lubrication to the bearing points this helps. Just that the effect doesn´t last.

...and this maybe in combination with the cord slipping.

Will investigate further.

stevehertz 28th Oct 2020 10:25 am

Carefully lube anything that rotates in the tuning 'chain' using thin silicon lube accurately applied from the end of a pointed tool like an awl. I do this all the while when restoring my vintage receivers. Silicon oil is very sympathetic to most materials and can be applied safely and with confidence. It's a friction build up problem at many points and they can all be eased.

CrazySwede 28th Oct 2020 10:58 am

Thanks for that suggestion! Think I have some of that stuff around somewhere. Will give it a try (if I can find that "somewhere"... ;D)

Radio Wrangler 28th Oct 2020 11:32 am

Take care not to get silicone lubricants onto sliding contacts such switches, sliders of pots and the grounding wipers in variable capacitors.

David

CrazySwede 28th Oct 2020 1:23 pm

Yup, that silicone stuff you don´t want to get in the wrong place :o

CrazySwede 30th Oct 2020 9:08 am

Waiting for the 14volt lamps before tearing the thing apart next time for another go at the tuner when I replace the bulbs.

In the meantime I found a review of the One-Ten in the december issue of 1972 Gramophone Magazine.

Interesting read that reviewer John Gilbert ended with the statement:

"The Goodman Model One-Ten is a real challenge to the various tuner amplifiers imported to the UK and it is already making inroads to European markets; a fine example of British design and craftmanship."

So apparently it helt up well against the japs, yanks and other recievers in the early seventies.

Nickthedentist 30th Oct 2020 9:26 am

Has anyone ever seen the multicoloured version pictured? It must have looked very striking.

Here's one: https://cdn.globalauctionplatform.co...d/original.jpg

The controls look like Lego!

stevehertz 30th Oct 2020 10:33 am

So 60s op art!

Radio Wrangler 30th Oct 2020 10:50 am

Early learning centre meets TD150!

DAvid

CrazySwede 30th Oct 2020 10:56 am

Ooh, that´s a bit wild'n crazy!
(everything was not better back in the seventies ;-) )

Richardgr 30th Oct 2020 12:20 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nickthedentist (Post 1305180)
Has anyone ever seen the multicoloured version pictured? It must have looked very striking.

Looks like a touch of the Quad 33's going on there!

CrazySwede 30th Oct 2020 2:03 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richardgr (Post 1305254)
Quote:

It think that styling was not the strong side of the British manufacturers of hifi gear compared to for example the japanese, danish, norwegian etc.

Radio Wrangler 30th Oct 2020 4:31 pm

I think the silver Goodmans looks as smart as the Japanese contenders of the era but the small vol/bal/tone knobs give it an extra 'technical' look. Just enough difference to stand out, and then when you notice the fine graduations on the tuning scales, it makes the Japanese ones look a bit 'low resolution' in comparison. Full marks for styling!

The Quad 33's looks, I like a lot. When it came out it looked revolutionary. The Quad was bold and still managed to pull off 'cute' and made the competition look ordinary.

David

stevehertz 30th Oct 2020 7:28 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazySwede (Post 1305279)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Richardgr (Post 1305254)
Quote:

It think that styling was not the strong side of the British manufacturers of hifi gear compared to for example the japanese, danish, norwegian etc.

I wouldn't say that, and I am a big fan of Japanese and Norwegian receivers. The Goodmans one ten, 150, Leak 2000, Armstrong etc are all nice designs in their own way albeit not so glitzy and 'expensive' looking as Japanese ones. British designs tended to fly their own flag (they were all different) whereas Japanese designs all tried to look the same as each other but better - if you get my drift.

CrazySwede 31st Oct 2020 12:16 am

Yes, I appreciate the unique looks and that's one reason why I got the One-Ten to start with.
Just wish they had gone for another material than that cheapy plastic for the knobs an buttons when the rest is so solid.

Julesomega 31st Oct 2020 10:19 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazySwede (Post 1303974)
The capacitors mount is a bit crooked, don't know if this is the cause and can be fixed.
Or is this old lubrication somewhere jamming moving parts?

I'm afraid the Hopf tuning capacitors used in these and other radios of the period all seem to seize eventually when the grease hardens, takes less than half a century ;)
There was a discussion in the thread Stuck tuning knob

CrazySwede 1st Nov 2020 9:23 pm

Thanks for that info and link about the tuning capacitor.
Will be good help when I go for round two with that thing.

CrazySwede 2nd Nov 2020 10:37 pm

2 Attachment(s)
Had a bit of progress tonight: after bulb replace the stereo light works, yey!
But no life in the signal strength meter. If I measure voltage between the red and blue wires were they connect on the circuit board I get a tiny 0.17v when I have good FM and 0v when there's no signal. So there's a small voltage to the meter. But it's not moving at all. To little voltage or broken meter?
Im also still struggling with the tuning cap. I can get it working for an hour or so after lubrication of the shaft but the it slowly jams up after a while.
Maybe I have to try getting it out and apart for cleanup. But afraid I will mess it up. The cord, alignment and all that...
Attachment 219497

Attachment 219498

Julesomega 2nd Nov 2020 10:57 pm

If we assume a meter resistance of about 1KΩ, 0.17V -> 170µA. These signal meters were around 150 - 250µA. The movement must be stuck

CrazySwede 2nd Nov 2020 11:01 pm

Can this type of meter be opened for to try a repair?

Radio Wrangler 3rd Nov 2020 12:13 am

Just replace the whole movement, keep the housing and scale. I've done it with a couple of generic oriental 200uA meters in the past, but be sure to have a couple of donors whose innards match the faulty unit before starting.

David

CrazySwede 3rd Nov 2020 6:57 am

Hi David!
Thanks for that piece of advice. Any suggestions about suitable donors?
I only found a few meters on the shopping sites that are vertically applied. Most are the ordinary horizontal ones.
But would this Russian model work?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/143791880752

Radio Wrangler 3rd Nov 2020 11:01 am

Work? probably... but you'll find it different in sizes and shapes.

I've come across stalls at amateur radio rallies that might have a tray of new unused Japanese meters, often VU meters, but also all sorts of other scales. I've taken movements out of some of these and used them to rebuild faulty meters in a piece of gear I've been fixing. The internal movements are often similar even though the plastic housings and scales are different.

David

Guest 3rd Nov 2020 3:10 pm

1 Attachment(s)
That meter looks very similar to this picture. I found this in my Armstrong spares (I think it is the 626 tuning meter). If yours is the same then it is very easy to swap the scales (they just slide out as you can see).
If you post some dimensions and it is the same as the one in my pic then you are very welcome to it. It's a 100uA movement but that should be easy to solve if yours is 150 - 200 uA!

Arthur

audiomm 3rd Nov 2020 9:42 pm

You can get that meter from Element14 (Farnell). Part Number is 143509

https://uk.farnell.com/multicomp/mc3...509?ost=143509
Download the datasheet and check the measurements against your meter, I think you'll find they are a bolt-in replacement. One thing though, you may have to open out the hole where the small lightbulb fits into that meter but this is a simple job to do.
Mike

CrazySwede 3rd Nov 2020 10:37 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for your continuous help and advice!
Tonight I had the meter apart and could not but just confirm it being broken. The magnet is loose, jamming the meter movement seems to be impossible to get it right with required precision.

Arthur: I'm really interested in your offer. Will post measurements tomorrow. But you think it's possible to use a 100uA meter when it seems as if this goes to 200 uA?

Attachment 219587

duffalora 4th Nov 2020 12:22 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazySwede (Post 1306507)
Im also still struggling with the tuning cap. I can get it working for an hour or so after lubrication of the shaft but the it slowly jams up after a while. Maybe I have to try getting it out and apart for cleanup. But afraid I will mess it up. The cord, alignment and all that...

I had exactly the same issue with one of these receivers. I tried all sorts of penetrating sprays and nothing worked for very long. I finally tried Caig Mechanic-ALL and it was like magic. It freed up the shaft almost instantly and it is still turning freely after a year. Problem is that it may not be readily available in most places.

CrazySwede 4th Nov 2020 8:38 am

Finally some progress on the jammed tuner cap! Last night I did these two things:
1.Sprayed the cap fins with non residue contact cleaner followed by a blow out with compressed air (had the rest of the area covered with tissue to catch the overflow)
2. Added WD40 to the bearing points where the cap axle runs through the chassis.

Had been trying light oil and silicone lubricant before but this only helped for a short while.

But after the approach above I now, 12 hours later, still have an easy moving tuner that also works with good reception and stations where they should be on the scale.

Just wonder now if I should leave the wd40 in or try to clean it out and ad other type of lubrication?

stevehertz 4th Nov 2020 9:28 am

If it's working as you describe, then leave well alone.

jjl 4th Nov 2020 9:43 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazySwede (Post 1306829)
Arthur: I'm really interested in your offer. Will post measurements tomorrow. But you think it's possible to use a 100uA meter when it seems as if this goes to 200 uA?

Yes, it is possible. You'd need to wire a resistor of identical value to the coil resistance of the 100uA meter in parallel with the 100uA meter. The resistor and the meter would then share the current equally i.e. with 200uA flowing in the combination the resistor would take 100uA and the meter would take 100uA and indicate full scale.

John

CrazySwede 4th Nov 2020 9:57 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjl (Post 1306905)
Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazySwede (Post 1306829)

Yes, it is possible. You'd need to wire a resistor of identical value to the coil resistance of the 100uA meter in parallel with the 100uA meter. The resistor and the meter would then share the current equally i.e. with 200uA flowing in the combination the resistor would take 100uA and the meter would take 100uA and indicate full scale.

John

Ah, that sounds good. But next question: measuring the coil resistance on the meter, is that just a matter of measuring ohms between the two connector points on the meter?

Guest 4th Nov 2020 10:22 am

1 Attachment(s)
The 100uA meter is just twice as sensitive if yours really is 200uA. I would have thought you would just need a series resistor. Attached pic is showing what your measured 0.17V would display on this meter with a 1K series resistor.

Arthur

CrazySwede 4th Nov 2020 11:14 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shuttle (Post 1306917)
The 100uA meter is just twice as sensitive if yours really is 200uA. I would have thought you would just need a series resistor. Attached pic is showing what your measured 0.17V would display on this meter with a 1K series resistor.

Arthur

Looks like a nice, doable fix :thumbsup:. As posted before, I´ll do some measuring of my broken meter and get back to you regarding the offer.

Guest 4th Nov 2020 12:50 pm

I should really have given you the dimensions of this meter! The front is 34.75x13.90mm and the overall depth is 32.32mm

Arthur

Chris55000 4th Nov 2020 1:56 pm

Hi!

The correct way to determine the resistance of your replacement signal– strength/tuning meter is as follows:–

1) Connect a 100k resistor in series with the meter and connect the meter plus resistor across a variable supply, and adjust the voltage from the supply so the meter reads exactly F.S.D;

2) Switch off the power supply and connect a pot of about 22k across the meter to act as a shunt, and switch on the supply again.

Adjust the 22k shunt pot. until the meter registers EXACTLY half F.S.D. Switch off and disconnect the power supply and shunt pot. from the meter, and then measure the value of the shunt pot. – this will be equal to the internal resistance of the meter movement!

Chris Williams

CrazySwede 4th Nov 2020 8:39 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shuttle (Post 1306949)
I should really have given you the dimensions of this meter! The front is 34.75x13.90mm and the overall depth is 32.32mm

Arthur

Arthur, those numbers match the meter in the Goodmans one ten! I'll pm you to continue discussion about your offer.

CrazySwede 5th Nov 2020 8:34 am

1 Attachment(s)
Put the One Ten together last night and must say Goodmans had a feeling for style and detail putting this together. I mean: who wants to ugly up a nice reciever with headphone connector? Of course they should be under a hatch :) !

Video (shared gdrive):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1287...ew?usp=sharing

Light working:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/12I_...ew?usp=sharing

Cleaned up nicely:
Attachment 219682

Time to try it in my main setup and see how it stacks up against my daily driver, a JVC vr-5535l, to do some real compairing of sound quality. Got the feeling the Goodmans will hold its own well...

CrazySwede 5th Nov 2020 7:50 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Trying out for the no1 spot in the setup together with the Garrard Zero 100 and Little Bear T10. Looking good in the cabinet! Still evaluating. Maybe the Swedish Sentec SP77 speakers are not the best match for it though....
Attachment 219721

CrazySwede 6th Nov 2020 9:42 am

And today my dear wife inspected the One Ten in the cabinet. Passed immediate judgement:
"What a big, ugly thing! Change back to the other one at once!!!";D;D;D

...so we have a bit of a domestic dispute to resolve here:blah:

CrazySwede 9th Nov 2020 10:33 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Hi!
Another thing to check I guess is the bias adjustment.
It's pretty well described in the service manual. But, I fel a bit stupid regarding where to connect the multimeter on the "supply rail". Grateful for bit of guidance with this
Attachment 220037

Richardgr 10th Nov 2020 12:06 am

Are we still talking about your other half’s unfounded bias against classic hifi?

Radio Wrangler 10th Nov 2020 12:08 am

I can't read component designators or values on the schematic.

The written procedure talks about opening power supply connections (one at a time) to each amplifier and measuring the current. Because other things take current, it has you measure with the amplifier quiescent current fully backed off, and then adjusting it to an increase of 3mA

This procedure was written in the days when most workshops did not have meters that would go down to millivolts DC, but could measure milliamps.

HOWEVER, this procedure is risky because one small slip while power connections are broken can destroy some semiconductors in that power amplifier, and tracking down which is a major undertaking. Several people on here have destroyed amplifiers doing this. It's especially nasty if it's one you just fixed.

A more modern way relies on sensitive DC voltmeters. Most decent hand-held DVMs will dothe job.

Between the collectors of the two high power transistors is a pair of resistors in series.... low value ones. With the amplifier on, but no signal, measure voltage between the two collectors. It'll be small. Take care probing. As a double check, away from the amplifier, touch both probes together and see what reading error the meter gives you with zero volts input. On the schematic, read the values of those two resistors and add them. Use Ohms law with the voltage you measured (correcting for the zero volts reading makes it more accurate) and you have the amplifier's quiescent bias vurrent in the output stage.

Take care probing.... one slip is all it takes and it's kaput. But this way you don't have to disconnect wires and restore them.

David

CrazySwede 10th Nov 2020 6:19 am

Thanks for good advice, David.
I have a decent digital multimeter so I will try the method you suggested. Will post some pictures first to check with you so I am using the correct connection points. Will probably be a couple of days.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Richardgr (Post 1308826)
Are we still talking about your other half’s unfounded bias against classic hifi?

Hahaha, spot on ;D!

CrazySwede 10th Nov 2020 4:06 pm

So, now I have been listening to the One Ten a bit more and find it to sound quite good but not as good as the JVC vr5535l that is my daily driver.

It sounds a bit more veiled/dull with less transparency and clearness than the JVC.

I don´t know if it´s just it´s character of sound, a speaker mismatch or a case of ageing components. The only replacement I have done is the faulty transistor in the power supply and the two big reservoar caps (replaced with same specs).

Regarding the speakers I am using are seventies Swedish Sentec SP77:s that have two bass elements and two tweeters each. They are spec:ed (according to a leaflet I found online):
Power 50w
impedance 8 ohms
Sensitivity 4w

I also have a pair of Boston Acoustics A60:s that I may try. They are spec:ed:
Frequency Response: 55 Hz - 22,000 Hz ±3 dB
Crossover Frequency: 6 dB/octave at 3000 Hz
Impedance: 8 Ω nominal, 6 Ω minimum
Sensitivity (at 1 watt/m input): 90 dB
Recommended Amplifier Power: 10 to 60 watts per channel

Are these a better match?

On the matter of recap, is this a path to explore and are there any specific capacitors exept for the reservoir (already replaced) I could start looking at? Unfortunately I´m still a newbie regarding reading schematics and understanding the works of different components. But if I get some pointers on which component number to replace I can probably manage process of solder it right. The One Ten seems fortunately pretty easy to access for this kind of job.
But still, I´d rather try to pinpoint a few caps than tearing them all out :)

Here´s the service manual if anyone wants to take a peek:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yVeIvMhRFWPxUyPCpw28FlZgEhwAUIEf/view?usp=sharing

Thanks in advance for any wisdom regarding this!

CrazySwede 12th Nov 2020 8:37 am

2 Attachment(s)
So, I´m pondering wether to start a recap work and begin with the rest of the power supply capacitors. They seem pretty easy an straightforward to replace. Good idea?

Attachment 220162

Attachment 220163

jjl 12th Nov 2020 9:37 am

With transistor equipment the general advice with regards to changing capacitors is that if it's working, leave it alone. There is no point in changing power supply capacitors unless you have excessive hum or another obvious fault.
This receiver does contain quite a few tantalum bead capacitors which can be unreliable, but you would be best advised to use the receiver and listen out for any unusual changes in its sound that may indicate a fault.

John

CrazySwede 12th Nov 2020 10:10 am

Thanks for responding, John!
As I posted above there´s no obvious fault in the sound like hum, static, pops etc. But I feel that the sound quality is a bit muffled / dull lacking som clearness. Bass can feel a bit boomy too.
Was thinking this could be caused by components ageing and going out of spec?