UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Low PF Capacitor Home Brew (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=149953)

FrankB 22nd Sep 2018 6:17 am

Low PF Capacitor Home Brew

If you need a low PF capacitor, there are 3 ways I have made them.
1. Twist 2 wires together and cut down until you get the correct PF rating.

2. Use a length of coax cable. The type of coax and pf/ft varies with the type (and sometimes the mfg.) It also varies with the percentage of shield. Mfg. specs. will give you pf/ft rating.

3. Use zip cord, speaker wire or similar twin wires and cut to length for the correct pf you need. You can cut a ft., meter, or whatever unit you want and measure the PF for the length, then cut it to size for correct pf.
Added bonus: I have seen twin wire cord used as spark gaps in TV sets too.

This type of capacitor is great for tweaking that last little bit to get an oscillator on freq. down to a gnats hair.

Cobaltblue 22nd Sep 2018 8:11 am

Re: Low PF Capacitor Home Brew

Manufacturers sometimes use homebrew capacitors as well. ISTR that Philco used an insulated wire wrapped around the tag of the tuning capacitor on models such as the 444.

Cheers

Mike T

evingar 22nd Sep 2018 9:09 am

During my early career in video Broadcast, the modulator (using MC 1495 Ic's) card used this method. The technique was to twist some Kynar wire together and then cut it down to reduce the capacitance until the vectors were in the boxes.

Problem was when you tried to neaten up the arrangement and secure it the capacitance often changed. Depending on which way it went, you might have to de solder the Kynar and start all over again....... Then you used to go off for a tea break and come back to find everything out of spec - happy days - not >((

Craig Sawyers 22nd Sep 2018 9:34 am

I did exactly that in my first job in the early 80's. There was a video amp, and to tweak up the pulse response I used the twisted wire method.

Craig

Trigon. 22nd Sep 2018 10:38 am

1 Attachment(s)
When you need a 1kV 27pF for a late night emergency fix for an LCD monitor backlight, and you've only got some PTFE covered wire:-

Attachment 169681

A 'temporary' fix, still in place three years on...

Cheers

Silicon 22nd Sep 2018 10:39 am

The twisted wire capacitors are also called 'gimmick' capacitors.

ionburn 22nd Sep 2018 5:34 pm

One presumes that if you use enamelled wire twisted together the capacitance can be fairly high (relatively)

Herald1360 23rd Sep 2018 1:31 pm

And the breakdown voltage disappointingly low?

ionburn 24th Sep 2018 9:48 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Herald1360 (Post 1077648)
And the breakdown voltage disappointingly low?

Yes there is that but on a quick check online it seems that it might not be as bad as it sounds, at least for receivers:

http://www.magnetwire.biz/soderon155_data_sheet.pdf

I do notice though that with the standard stuff from RS (for example), the voltage rating is not stated.

Herald1360 24th Sep 2018 10:32 am

Interesting that its breakdown voltage is higher at higher temperature.

Certainly looks good for 300v or so operating voltage. I wonder what the dielectric properties of the insulation are like?

G6Tanuki 25th Sep 2018 6:21 pm

The coax "gimmick" capacitor is quite well-known in ham radio circles: one popular use is as the resonating capacitor in antenna-traps, where the coax 'capacitor' can be conveniently stuffed into the inside of the coil-former once you've GDO'd the trap to the required frequency.

ex seismic 26th Sep 2018 6:09 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Spot the gimmick cap in this WW2 dinghy homing beacon transmitter.

Attachment 169926

VT FUSE 26th Sep 2018 6:42 pm

I presume that TX is "Walter" somewhere I have two brand new triodes as shown in your example and often wondered what the unit looked like out of its casing.

Are you able to post another photo,nice implementation of a gimmic capacitor in the tank circuit (I presume).

ex seismic 27th Sep 2018 8:38 am

Yes, a Walter. Another photo and full info here: https://www.royalsignals.org.uk/photos/AN_CPT-2.htm

gmb

VT FUSE 28th Sep 2018 7:25 pm

Most kind of you,no idea how that reference had slipped me. I bet it would have been quite effective, but do wonder how well a dunked Airman,possibly with bad injuries would have coped deploying it.

Thanks for posting the link.

M3VUV51 20th Oct 2018 1:51 pm

on a similar vein,ive used broadcast variable capacitors for mag loops before,milled a case out of nylon with a perspex cover then filled it with oil,gets the kv rating up and nearly doubles the capacitance,sort of poor mans vacume variable!.

kellys_eye 20th Oct 2018 5:33 pm

ISTR the SP Radio range of transmitters (the earlier versions) used many 'home made' capacitors and have a vague recollection of seeing the equipment they used to make them when I visited their factory in Aalborg???

Or was that all just a dream?

peterpixel 21st Oct 2018 11:17 am

I seem to remember Spencer West using lots of twin wire low pf capacitors on their printed circuit boards in the distant past.I can't imagine how this could be any cheaper than using standard prefered value components of the time but then labour was cheap.Perhaps they were snipped and adjusted in circuit.Peter.

WaveyDipole 29th Oct 2018 8:54 pm

It too me ages to find a particular low value capacitor in the main bard in the Telequipment D61a oscilloscope. It turned out that to was using the twisted wire trick. I think one of the calibration steps involved tweaking it by twisting or untwisting as required.