UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Where To Get Sets and Parts (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   The National Museum of Computing clearance (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=143994)

WaveyDipole 16th Feb 2018 3:58 pm

The National Museum of Computing clearance

I thought that perhaps members might want to be aware of this event:

http://www.eevblog.com/forum/buysell...lection-only)/

I'm not sure why they didn't post this here, but I hope its OK to mention it.

paulsherwin 16th Feb 2018 4:06 pm

Re: The National Museum of Computing clearance

Just a caution: these are sophisticated professional vintage scopes. They won't be suitable for a beginner in radio restoration looking for their first scope. You will need to be experienced in valve scope maintenance to take one of these on, as they are complex instruments. (You'll also need a very strong workbench).

Radio Wrangler 16th Feb 2018 4:23 pm

I noticed an SE labs (EMI subsidiary) SM113 and an HP180 (with basic plug-ins)

These are both decent transistor-based scopes and worth having. Paul's warning about maintenance needs still stands. Light enough to carry!

David

factory 16th Feb 2018 8:16 pm

There is another HP 180 scope in the saved folder.

Also in the saved folder is something I've been looking for years, a HP 524 counter. I honesty thought that there were none left in the UK, judging by how many parts have appeared for sale over the years, in fact both the smaller ones I have in my collection came from overseas (521 & 523).

Does anyone know what they are doing with it as I'm not on the eevblog forum?

David

Edit; Have joined.

MrBungle 16th Feb 2018 10:02 pm

I'm not even going to look at this. I've got 4 in the repair queue already.

Gridiron 17th Feb 2018 10:39 am

The 13.35.58 picture looks like some kind of airborne radar indicator, anyone know what it is?
Mike.

Dave Moll 17th Feb 2018 11:29 am

I see what you mean - with the rotatable mask over the CRT (possibly to indicate a heading line). It's a shame about the camera shake on the image, making it difficult to read the markings for any clues.

M0FYA Andy 17th Feb 2018 3:14 pm

It looks like it is US in origin to me. The shaky picture doesn't help at all.
Andy

high_vacuum_house 24th Feb 2018 11:07 pm

Good evening,
I contacted them and went along this afternoon. They have quite a vast collection of valve based oscilloscopes awaiting disposal and came away with (probably too much!!) several oscilloscopes, the spectrum analyser, the radar display unit and the counter. There are still many Tek 500 series scopes, rack mounted scopes and ex government scopes and many others including a home made one still avaliable. All are in excellent complete condition and have been dry stored. If you want to save anything next weekend is going to be their last If you are lucky, looks like the scrap man could dispose of them. It's a pity I didn't have a van or the space as I could have taken several of the scopes to next months Harpenden B+B stall for donation!!

The museum store is certainly interesting to wander around in with many ancient computer and electromechanical bits on racks.
Christopher Capener

IanG3XYV 2nd Mar 2018 3:56 pm

Thanks to WaveyDipole for bringing this to our attention. I went over to Bletchley to collect a TEK585 magnificent beast of an oscilloscope. There was a note on it that all DC power rails were missing but I brought a TEK544 back to life a year ago so was not deterred. It too had power problems and they are very similar between the different 500 models. On a fairly quick examination it seems on mine the 45 second timer isn't working so I need to investigate further. I might be putting out a request in the Wanted section!

Ian

woodchips 17th Mar 2018 1:25 pm

I collected the rest last weekend, 1/2 tonne of them!

Who had the Solartron 1220? I have a manual for the 1212, single timebase version.

I had forgotten just how poorly designed the scopes other than the large Tek/Solartron were, can't get to the valve bases to fault find, the Solartron 1400 had the PCBs soldered together. Mostly scrap, not worth the effort of repairing.

Did keep an ancient Iwatsu DSO, uses 2102 memory chips, if anyone wants it ask, does work.