UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Amateur and Military Radio (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Yaesu FT290 (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=182057)

Terry_VK5TM 5th Sep 2021 1:05 am

Re: Yaesu FT290

Got those, by the time you extract the schematic as images and then stitch them together they lose clarity - well, they did when I tried it, I could have been doing something 'not quite right' :D

Pity there isn't (that I have seen) an 'app' that will work to stitch PDF pages together.

mickm3for 6th Sep 2021 3:09 pm

Hi just been in contact with Yaesu teck dpt (i know them quite well) and it seems there was never a paper manual for this set they have not got one listed in the Archives at head office, so we are limited with what we can find online Mick

SiriusHardware 6th Sep 2021 5:02 pm

It sounds like this is a circuit crying out to be reverse-engineered and redrawn in Kicad or something similar.

It does happen, I won't bore you with the examples, but people do sit down and redraw the entire circuit especially if the only known ones are quite poor.

The MK2 (FT290R2) does have a proper service manual - or in Yaesu Technical speak - 'Technical Supplement', which is a term always worth searching for if you are looking for a Yaesu service manual.

dsergeant 6th Sep 2021 6:01 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mickm3for (Post 1404394)
Hi just been in contact with Yaesu teck dpt (i know them quite well) and it seems there was never a paper manual for this set they have not got one listed in the Archives at head office, so we are limited with what we can find online Mick

Really. I have a nice schematic in my FT290R user manual in my hands.... Just tried scanning it, unfortunately it is about twice the length of an A4 sheet and my auto feed scanner stalls when it reaches what would be the expected bottom of an A4 sheet with 'paper jam'. Would have to chop it in two and then stitch the two bits together which I am not prepared to do.

But a very clear schematic on a real piece of paper...

Dave

SiriusHardware 6th Sep 2021 6:54 pm

Would you consider taking clear, well lit overhead photos of each half or quarter and posting them here as attached .zips? (Don't attach them as images, the forum engine will destroy most of the useful detail by resizing them to what it considers an acceptable size).

I don't think folks will mind a diagram in two halves or four quarters with a bit of lens barrel distortion as long as everything on each half or quarter is completely readable.

Bazz4CQJ 6th Sep 2021 7:53 pm

I, for one, would be happy to contribute to raising whatever it would cost to get;
  1. the manual scanned on some professional kit (not requiring the use of scissors)
  2. nominating dsergeant for position of Saint-hood.

B

mickm3for 6th Sep 2021 8:27 pm

Hi i would contribute to the fund (i have a ft290r working at the moment ) and i like to have a manual for my rigs mick

Radio Wrangler 6th Sep 2021 9:15 pm

For larger than A4 digitising, I tape the master on a wall, position two soft-box lights, and put my camera on a tripod. I have a reprographic /macro lens that's pretty free of distortion and get whole things in one go with plenty of resolution (Nikon D6) Resolution is close to that of a good scanner.

But this is at the other end of the country. Anyone nearer got suitable gear?

David

Terry_VK5TM 6th Sep 2021 11:43 pm

I'm surprised that Yaesu don't have one in the archive, but they do exist.

I will probably go down the line of redrawing it in a cad program (and there is a lot of it).

Some of the pdf's online are reasonably good quality wise, but being in 3/4 seperate pages makes tracing signal/power lines across pages somewhat agonising, especially when you lose track of the one you were following.

dsergeant 7th Sep 2021 8:09 am

1 Attachment(s)
Ended up in chopping it into two...
Quick scan at 150dpi saved as a pdf. Looks quite readable, you will have to play with the stitching together.

Dave

Andrew2 7th Sep 2021 8:20 am

Of course the manual exists, I have one here in its glossy A5 glory!

SiriusHardware 7th Sep 2021 9:42 am

Thanks for doing that, Dave. It should be a good starting point for anyone feeling dedicated enough to redraw the diagram.

Andrew2, we are speaking of the service manual - do you mean the owner's manual? And if you do, does that have the circuit diagram in the back pages? A service manual would rarely be so small.

Andrew2 7th Sep 2021 10:04 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SiriusHardware (Post 1404626)
Thanks for doing that, Dave. It should be a good starting point for anyone feeling dedicated enough to redraw the diagram.

Andrew2, we are speaking of the service manual - do you mean the owner's manual? And if you do, does that have the circuit diagram in the back pages? A service manual would rarely be so small.

Ah, my mistake. And sadly the previous owner lost the pull-out cct diagram.

Terry_VK5TM 7th Sep 2021 11:16 am

A lot of early Yaesu stuff didn't have a service manual, everything was in the owners manual - general use, alignment and circuit diagram.

Terry_VK5TM 7th Sep 2021 12:47 pm

1 Attachment(s)
OK, attached zip is just one little part I started tonight - it is going to take a while to complete as I have other things to get finished first.

In the zip is an SVG file, extract that and it will (should) open in any browser (I have tested with Firefox and Chrome) and you can zoom to any extent and it stays the same readability.

Zoom is (in Windows - somebody please chime in with Linux and/or Apple/Mac systems) hold Ctrl key and use mouse scroll wheel or hold Ctrl and use + or - key on number pad.

There are other ways like Menu and Zoom functions in the browser.

I will get it all done in SVG first then generate a PDF.

Terry_VK5TM 13th Sep 2021 3:57 am

2 Attachment(s)
An update on the progress of re-drawing the FT290 schematic.

Attached zip is the SVG file and there is a pdf.

I have tried to keep the style close to the original Yaesu offering but have also made some small changes re wire/interconnect positions where the original didn't seem to have rhyme or reason for the way it was done - P05 top left is one example.

If anybody has any thoughts on things that might be done slightly better - "speak now or forever hold your peace" ;D - I am thinking of colouring the various power rails - yes/no??

To give you an idea, the current pdf page size is 300mm x nearly 700mm or about 12" by 25", I expect it to be at least 1 metre wide (39") by the time it's finished.

Damien VK3RX 16th Sep 2021 10:34 am

Wow, nice job, Tezza :):)

Terry_VK5TM 16th Sep 2021 11:19 am

Thankyou.

Have to take breaks from it, I keep going cross-eyed :D

Bazz4CQJ 16th Sep 2021 4:36 pm

Nice work! Just about the first thing I do if a print a schematic is colour in the DC supply lines.

B

Terry_VK5TM 17th Sep 2021 12:40 am

I'll colour the DC lines anyway once I get to the end Bazz, so if you have a colour printer.....

Just need to work out what colours to use - Red for +12v obviously.

There's 13 other different DC lines, although several of those are very short runs to the switches only so possibly don't need to be coloured (although I suppose I could take the covers off and see what is used in the rig).