UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Garrard Type One Record player on MM cartridge? (Actually a Type A). (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=141946)

Telegraph-Hill 5th Dec 2017 1:39 pm

Garrard Type One Record player on MM cartridge? (Actually a Type A).

Hi there,
just wondering if someone has done a conversion from a Garrard type A to a MM cartridge. I was thinking of an old Sure M75 etc. But maybe there is someone saying... don't try it, not worth, the arm cannot handle MM cartridges. It would save me time than :-)

Greetings from Devon,
Oliver

Nickthedentist 5th Dec 2017 1:49 pm

Re: Garrard Type One Record player on MM cartridge?

Hello Oliver,

Do you mean a Type A?
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...9&postcount=12

If so, I would say that a robust magnetic cartidge would be fine.

N.

Telegraph-Hill 5th Dec 2017 1:54 pm

Sorry, of course, I meant type A :-)

Andrew2 5th Dec 2017 2:15 pm

My thinking is that a nice cartridge like the 75 might be a little delicate for the A. I don't know if you can still find them, but the Shure M3D is a medium compliance cartridge that always seemed to work well with older, heavier mechanisms. Tough as old boots.

Edward Huggins 5th Dec 2017 2:24 pm

This is one of the few autochangers you can use a MM in reasonably well. An option to the Shure types might be a Goldring G800 or G850. They were often used in the early Garrard SP25 range.

bikerhifinut 5th Dec 2017 2:28 pm

If you've got a M75 type2 body I have a spare aftermarket stylus with very little use that I eventually worked out was actually the M75EC type. This is supposed to track at between 2 and 4 grams and I found it did need at least 3 grams to sound clean. If you'd like it then its free to you sir.
PM me if interested.

Andy.

paulsherwin 5th Dec 2017 2:31 pm

An Audio Technica AT91 would be a good match and isn't expensive.

Telegraph-Hill 5th Dec 2017 3:02 pm

Re: Garrard Type One Record player on MM cartridge? (Actually a Type A).

You are all Stars :-) Many thanks for all the advise. I just bought a NOS Goldring G800. If this works fine I will also try out the AT91 Audio Technica. They are really not that expensive.
Cheers,
Oliver

paulsherwin 5th Dec 2017 3:15 pm

The G800 and AT91 are very similar cartridges. There isn't much point in getting both of them!

dseymo1 5th Dec 2017 9:46 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew2 (Post 997129)
My thinking is that a nice cartridge like the 75 might be a little delicate for the A. I don't know if you can still find them, but the Shure M3D is a medium compliance cartridge that always seemed to work well with older, heavier mechanisms. Tough as old boots.

There seems to be a strong market for the M3D these days (perhaps justified - it's a rather nice cartridge, quite apart from being the first 'modern' MM), so finding one at a reasonable price might be difficult.

Tom_I 6th Dec 2017 12:24 am

Another possibility would be an Audio Technica 3600L, intended for "legacy" decks. Pretty tough, with a carbon fibre cantilever, and not expensive. Tracks at 2.5 to 3.5 grams, but would probably cope with a bit higher.

I'm currently using one in a Garrard AT60 autochanger, and it seems to work very well.

GP49000 8th Dec 2017 8:21 am

Garrard Type A in good condition works very well with magnetic cartridges tracking at around 2.5 grams and up. The calibration of the tracking weight adjustment on the early ones only went down to 3 grams; the Type A Mk II calibration went down to 2 grams but there was no other change to the tonearm or the auto trip mechanism.

Telegraph-Hill 14th Dec 2017 4:40 pm

Just a quick feedback, I tried a "cheap" Audio Technica AT 95 and the Goldring G800. I'm really happy with the Goldring. Even listeners to my show have been impressed with the sound from a nearly 60th years old Garrard. Many thanks for all the advice.
Oliver