UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Television and Video (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Downloadable Test Card DVD (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=71637)

Mikey405 9th Jul 2011 8:41 am

Downloadable Test Card DVD

Hi everyone.

Here's a new version of the Test Card DVD all ready to download and burn using your favourite .ISO burner program.

http://www.oldtechnology.net/TestCardDisc/V0.12.iso

The new version (v0.12) has an extra recreated slide of Sylvia Peters in colour and, although I guess it's not strictly a Test Card (it's really a tuning signal), it's still quite a nice thing to show on really old colour sets.

As well as Sylvia, the DVD has on it:

Test card C
Test card D
Test card F
Test card J
An experimental colour test card

There are also a few other odds and ends such as cross-hatch, pulse and bar, colour bars, grey scale etc.

The DVD is recorded so that each picture will remain on the screen indefinitely (most DVD players will spin down and turn off the laser after a fairly short period too). Sometimes my horrible cheap-and-nasty DVD player has trouble finding the root menu straight away after it has spun down, but most DVD players don't seem to mind the odd format.

To keep the disc size small (and so that the DVD can act as a simple frame-store) there is no music or sound - I use a little Sandisk "Sansa Clip" MP3 player loaded up with lots of test card music and plug it in with a USB power adapter next to the DVD player and just let it play on a long loop.

Anyway, feel free to download and enjoy. :)

Thanks everyone.

Kind regards.

From Mike.

EDIT BY MOD TEAM:
Link to the latest version is in post 53. Please use that rather than the link in this post, and see the discussion below for details of changes.

murphyv310 9th Jul 2011 9:12 am

Re: Downloadable Test Card DVD

Excellent Mike, that's a wee job to do this afternoon once I have fitted a new sump to the Doblo!

System A 9th Jul 2011 9:15 am

Hi Mike just downloaded your dvd , and again it"s outstanding !!! . Thanks for your kindness .
Regards . Gary .:thumbsup:

FRANK.C 9th Jul 2011 9:57 am

Thanks Mike just what I was looking for will download it later today.

Frank

neon indicator 9th Jul 2011 11:03 am

Thanks. Looking forward to it.

HamishBoxer 9th Jul 2011 11:35 am

Thank You also.

David

bobsterkent 9th Jul 2011 11:47 am

Thanks as well from me

Mikey405 9th Jul 2011 2:34 pm

Crikey - Thanks everyone. That's okay - I'm glad it's of use to people. :)

Kind regards.

From Mike.

Mark the Mender 9th Jul 2011 4:21 pm

Cheers Mike!

regards Mark

murphyv310 9th Jul 2011 10:25 pm

Mike.
You need to tweek the frame hold on your avatar ;D

bobbyball 9th Jul 2011 10:54 pm

I'm new to these forums (but an old hand in the game!) and the disc is a valiant effort and much appreciated!

Robert Ball

Mikey405 10th Jul 2011 6:22 am

No problem chaps. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by murphyv310 (Post 447879)
Mike. You need to tweek the frame hold on your avatar ;D

Yes, it needs a new PCL805 Trevor. I'll get one in the next few days.

Courtney Louise 10th Jul 2011 3:01 pm

Hi Mikey, do you by any chance have the Colour wings with The Queen in the middle tuning signal?

Regards

Andi

Mikey405 10th Jul 2011 5:00 pm

Hi Andi.

Er, I don't think I've ever seen that one - is there even a low-res version anywhere I can look at?

Thanks Andi.

Kind regards.

From Mike.

Dave Moll 10th Jul 2011 6:21 pm

Do you by any chance mean the one I use as an avatar - with Sylvia Peters? I've never seen one featuring Her Majesty.

edit: looking at it in my post, I realise that she does quite resemble the queen in her youth.

Dave Moll 10th Jul 2011 6:31 pm

A higher resolution version of it can be seen here.

Mikey405 10th Jul 2011 6:47 pm

Hi Andi and Dave.

A recreated version of that tuning signal is on the DVD.

Thanks Andi and Dave.

Kind regards.

From Mike.

Courtney Louise 12th Jul 2011 7:25 am

Thanks guys, thats the exact one I mean and yes she does resemble the younger Queen quite remarkably...

Andi

malvision 16th Jul 2011 1:35 pm

Thanks mike works great,i have a media player which supports iso image,so no need to convert.Just load the iso file straight into the player and press play which is very handy.Can be seen here http://www.maplin.co.uk/cyclone-micr...adaptor-344455

Thanks Mal

TNC 17th Jul 2011 12:00 am

Thanks from me too Mike!!

Excellent and useful resource.

atb

Trevor.

Tazman1966 19th Jul 2011 10:40 am

Thanks Mike.

Finally got round to downloading some freeware to enable me to burn it to a dvd and it works very well indeed:)

ENGLISH VICTOR 19th Jul 2011 2:46 pm

Many thanks Mike, Just burnt a disk, will make a nice addition to my collection especialy as I am just old enough to remember Sylvia Peters. It did look a little different on the Bush TV11A.
Victor.

TriMan66 19th Jul 2011 3:25 pm

Hi Mike,
Thanks too for this posting, it is really very useful.
I down loaded and it can be seen in operation already in thread
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...t=68520&page=2
post #33

regards
Craig

Mikey405 19th Jul 2011 4:59 pm

Thanks Andi, Mal, Trevor, Tas, Victor and Craig. I'm glad it's a useful thing. The only minor problem with putting test cards on DVD is that a lot of machines cut off the sides so sometimes you don't get any (or reduced) edge castellations.

Kind regards.

From Mike.

echelon 12th Feb 2012 9:06 pm

Mike, as a newcomer to this forum (but as a long-ago lapsed member of the trade) may I also add my thanks to you for this excellent resource.

A few questions/points for you: can you please explain the resoultion difference between the two Test Card F versions, one of which is showing a BBC identifier, and the other which is showing your SWETV museum? Presumably the museum version is a direct digital creation, rather than a screen-grab for the BBC version?

Would you have any plans to add to content of this disk? May I place with you some Viewers' Requests? A high-res BBC recreated Test Card F would be great, as would a PM5544 card, and also a dot/spot convergence signal.

Is there a mechanism via which I can make an appropriate donation to your museum?

All best

echelon

__o_____
()/O\___()
`-\\---'

__\/__
| .... |

"This is 2LO Calling" .......Hello Playmates! :)
If 33+45=78, why doesn't 405+625=1080p

Mikey405 19th Jun 2012 10:40 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by echelon
A few questions/points for you: can you please explain the resoultion difference between the two Test Card F versions, one of which is showing a BBC identifier, and the other which is showing your SWETV museum? Presumably the museum version is a direct digital creation, rather than a screen-grab for the BBC version?

Hi Echelon.

My apologies for not replying sooner - I only just noticed that there was a reply. :)

Just a quick note about TCF and TCJ - Test card F was the original George-Hersee designed version from 1967 which was simply filmed off a card by a normal TV camera. The TCJ was a much later all-electronic version with a few differences - a slightly bigger circle, a slightly zoomed out picture of Carol and Bubbles and a few other bits and bobs.

Quote:

Would you have any plans to add to content of this disk? May I place with you some Viewers' Requests? A high-res BBC recreated Test Card F would be great, as would a PM5544 card, and also a dot/spot convergence signal.
There is now a new version (see below) which has the PM5544 card and a few other bits and bobs which have been tidied up from the previous version. I may well put a few things on in future version - certainly the cross-hatch wants modifying a bit and I may add dots too. Also a "next" / "prev" option too, but that means doing a bit of programming, which sounds complicated.

Thanks Echelon.

Kind regards.

From Mike.

Mikey405 19th Jun 2012 10:44 pm

Hi all.

A new version of the Test Card Disc is now available (V0.15).

This new disc has an added PM5544 test card, a modified (and nicer) version of Test Card F with the "BBC2 Colour" caption. A few other bits and pieces have also been tidied up etc. As always, you just need to use some kind of DVD-burning software to turn the image file into a proper DVD.

Anyway, here it is:

http://www.oldtechnology.net/TestCardDisc/V0.15.iso

Enjoy. :)

Thanks all.

Kind regards.

From Mike.

Amraduk 20th Jun 2012 2:35 am

Hello Mike,

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikey405 (Post 538383)
Just a quick note about TCF and TCJ - Test card F was the original George-Hersee designed version from 1967 which was simply filmed off a card by a normal TV camera.

No, it wasn't. It was a transparency that was used. It consisted of two transparencies sandwiched together, one for the monochrome part of TCF and one for the colour part. An electronic version was introduced in 1984.

See this web site page:

http://www.barney-wol.net/video/test...testcardf.html

Quote:

The TCJ was a much later all-electronic version with a few differences - a slightly bigger circle, a slightly zoomed out picture of Carol and Bubbles and a few other bits and bobs.
The difference in the size of the circles is only about 2 pixels and wouldn't be noticeable except by direct comparison. TCJ was introduced in 1999.

See this web page:

http://www.barney-wol.net/video/test...testcardj.html

Regards,

Dave.

Mikey405 20th Jun 2012 6:19 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amraduk
No, it wasn't.

I stand corrected Dave. :)

The main point I was trying to make was that it was a mechanical device whereas Test Card J was all-electronic. I'm not any kind of expert (as you can tell) but Echelon was asking for the main difference between the two test cards.

Amraduk 20th Jun 2012 10:15 am

Hello Mike,

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikey405 (Post 538430)
The main point I was trying to make was that it was a mechanical device whereas Test Card J was all-electronic.

Whilst that is true, one shouldn't make untrue statements (which, I'm sure, was not your intention) as they are likely to be taken as fact and repeated elsewhere, propagating the untruth until it is difficult to rebut!

I hope you found the links I gave of some interest.

Regards,

Dave, G8TVW.

Dave Moll 20th Jun 2012 11:05 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikey405 (Post 538383)
The TCJ was a much later all-electronic version with a few differences...

I believe that one other difference was that the cross on the blackboard was repositioned at the centre of the testcard to give more accurate static convergence - something overlooked in the original.

Philips210 20th Jun 2012 7:05 pm

Hi Mike.

Many thanks for the test card iso files. It took me a little while to work out how to use the free ImgBurn software required for converting the iso files to a useable DVD but the result is excellent.
Very useful test patterns, particularly Test Card G for colour decoder assessment.
I also like Test Card J, a revamped Test Card F. The main visual difference between these two cards is that on TCJ the centre picture appears a zoomed out version of TCF. Also, the images of the girl and the clown appear slightly darker on TCJ.

Regards
Symon.

Heatercathodeshort 25th Jun 2012 6:32 pm

A big thanks from me also Mike! Great quality and will be super with the old tellies. John.

Mikey405 25th Jun 2012 10:05 pm

Thanks Symon and John for the kind comments. I'm really glad it's of use. :)

Kind regards.

From Mike.

Mikey405 8th Sep 2012 5:58 pm

Hi everyone again.

There is a new updated version of the Test Card Disc which can be downloaded from the URL below:

http://www.oldtechnology.net/TestCardDisc/V0.32.iso

In addition to what was on the old disc, the new disc contains a newly recreated version of the original 5:4 Test Card C as well as a slight modification to Test Card J and a new 1950s BBC Tuning Signal.

Thanks everyone.

Kind regards.

From Mike.

HamishBoxer 8th Sep 2012 10:00 pm

Thank You Mike.

David

bobbyball 8th Sep 2012 10:34 pm

Cheers again Mike

Robert

Mikey405 10th Sep 2012 12:45 pm

No problem David and Robert. :)

Kind regards.

From Mike.

Tazman1966 10th Sep 2012 7:46 pm

Downloaded and excellent (as expected really :) )

Mikey405 11th Sep 2012 12:57 pm

Thanks Tas. Glad it's of use. :)

Henenen 28th Mar 2013 12:24 am

Thanks for this. Can I ask, are the testcards robust enough to calibrate with, or are they just for nostalgic purposes?

Mikey405 30th Mar 2013 6:33 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henenen (Post 598525)
Thanks for this. Can I ask, are the testcards robust enough to calibrate with, or are they just for nostalgic purposes?

Hi Henenen.

Well, I'm not sure I'd put my life on it but I don't think it's far wrong as far as accuracy is concerned and certainly for everyday "calibration" and testing (picture geometry, focus, convergence, HF / LF response, grey scale etc.) is concerned, I think I'd trust it pretty well.

Thanks Henenen.

Kind regards.

From Mike.

Tazman1966 31st Mar 2013 11:13 am

I'd agree that you could trust it pretty well too. The only fly in the ointment would be that on certain cheapo DVD players, the picture might be shifted slightly to the left or the right. Nothing significant though.

Nicklyons2 8th Jun 2013 1:11 pm

Two things, firstly to express thanks for compiling this DVD and, secondly and cheekily, to drop a hint/request for some other Test Cards and patterns. I've long wanted a copy of the original Test Card F with the frequency figures at the side of the grating - the only copy I've got is in an early colour TV instruction book. Also could I put in a mention for PLUGE (2 or 4 step) and DELUGE.

Nick

Mikey405 9th Jun 2013 3:31 pm

Hi Nick.

Your wish is my command (well, the first one anyway). The new disc has the correct lettering (and numbers) for the old and new mechanical-versions of Test Card F as well as a few other goodies - I'll get them uploaded very soon. :)

Thanks Nick.

Kind regards.

From Mike.

Nicklyons2 10th Jun 2013 9:10 am

Excellent - I'll look forward to it!

Nick

Mikey405 16th Jun 2013 1:36 pm

Hi all.

I've uploaded the latest version of the Test Card Disc here:

http://www.oldtechnology.net/TestCardDisc/V0.371.iso

I can't remember exactly what's new but there is now a choice of different Test Card Fs and some other new stuff I think. :)

Thanks all.

Kind regards.

From Mike.

Heatercathodeshort 16th Jun 2013 1:48 pm

I've set up some real beasts with Mikey's test cards with as good results as the original Crystal palace transmissions. Great fun into the bargain. J.

Paul Stenning 18th Jun 2013 12:02 am

I have added a note to the end of the first post with a link to post #47. This should help those who may not have read the whole thread get the latest version.

Nicklyons2 18th Jun 2013 3:20 pm

Mikey, Marvellous, Marvellous, at last I have a 'proper' Test Card F not the ba****dised one to conform to transmitting it on System A as well. Now I'll await the Colour version of Test Card C. Yes there was one - of sorts,
Thanks Again, Nick