UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Television and Video (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Ferguson 3V55 Videostar VCR (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=159095)

ssnjimb 21st Aug 2019 3:26 pm

Ferguson 3V55 Videostar VCR

Hello

I have an Ageing 1985 Ferguson Videostar 3v55

It no longer takes the tape in onto the drum

Can anyone help me source a service kit etc etc

Thankyou in advance

James

toshiba tony 21st Aug 2019 4:10 pm

Re: Ferguson 3V55 Videostar VCR

Used to see a lot of Thorn stuff. I'm sure lacing, as it's called, takes place via a worm gear and standard belt and motor. I assume it accepts a cassette and it's lowered ready for lacing. If I remember correctly the belt is accessed from underneath and may necessitate the deck being removed. Access my be given by removing the bottom cover, as on the 3v29\30. They are an engineer friendly machine. After the cassette is taken in can you hear a motor whirring as if there is no load on it?

toshiba tony 21st Aug 2019 4:19 pm

Just looked at the loading motor for the 3v55. Apparantly the lacing is not belt driven. The info I gave you earlier is for a previous deck. I'll look for the exploded view of the mech.

HamishBoxer 21st Aug 2019 4:20 pm

As there is no loading belt then it could be grease starting to harden.

toshiba tony 21st Aug 2019 4:44 pm

Exactly, if it is grease then a CP may have failed as well. Thorn stuff tended to be full of them, they often failed for no reason. If the original poster is at all ok with electronics he could meter the voltage on the loading motor when loading takes place. To ex engineers it's a doddle. At least it's not one of those horrible ones with a SMPS. They didn't scare me. 3V31 ???
No wrong model, anyone?
29 no
30 no
35 no
31\32 no

ssnjimb 21st Aug 2019 5:09 pm

I will dissasemble the cassette mechanism (spring loaded) and look underneath it. and remove the panel from underneath and report back tomorrow afternoon.

p.s what is a cp ahaha. is it something obvious once you tell me

Thankyou

James

toshiba tony 21st Aug 2019 5:23 pm

Hiya, it's the circuit reference Thorn use. Circuit protector, or as we call it a fuse. It looks like a transistor but the give away is it only has two legs.

ssnjimb 21st Aug 2019 5:57 pm

A diagram would be great if. if you have one.

is it rubber tyres on idlers per chance.

James

toshiba tony 21st Aug 2019 6:55 pm

It seems from the poster lacing isn't starting so at this stage the reel idler (if fitted) will not be employed. Does the drum rotate at any stage? On vcr's of most makes the mech usually shuffles in both directions, probably to check if the tape has snapped. If either reel goes too fast the vcr will detect this and eject the cassette. Another reason the mech shuffles is to prepare the tape for lacing, (no possible slack).

vhs doctor 21st Aug 2019 8:05 pm

Hi

If the loading motor rotate.Change the loading belt it is loxated behind the pinch roller.
If the problem still exist maybe you have broken gear.

toshiba tony 21st Aug 2019 8:47 pm

Right vhs doctor, so this model has a loading belt? looking at the shaft on the motor suggested otherwise as it's not got a pulley on it! I was working from memory on my first post thinking it was similar to a 3v29\30

ssnjimb 21st Aug 2019 8:53 pm

I need a belt then. Can they still be bought ? is it thin like a walkman belt ?

The VCR is at my parents hence the questions.

James

vhs doctor 22nd Aug 2019 7:47 pm

Vcr belts usually they are not thin as walkman belts.

Check this
https://m.donberg.ie/descript/7/7076.htm

dj_fivos_sak 23rd Aug 2019 1:16 pm

Hi. The original JVC part number for the loading belt is PQM30003-14. If you don't hear the motor running when you press play, you might have a missing PSU voltage or one or more ICPs have blown. It's a common issue with these JVC machnes and has happened on my HR-D110 (3V38) and HR-D120 (3V35).

ssnjimb 25th Aug 2019 7:24 pm

Thankyou :-)
I will report back when i get it working :-)

James

ssnjimb 30th Aug 2019 1:30 pm

Hello :-)

After cleaning the front panel/LCD/etc

Unplugging all the connectors inside.

It takes the tape in.

Starts playing for 3 seconds.

albeit with a slipping clutch

It then stops after 3 seconds playing.

Is that the optical switch ?

James

toshiba tony 30th Aug 2019 2:37 pm

Does lacing take place, (and complete?) Do you briefly see a picture? Lack of take up reference pulses will initiate stop. What is rewind and FF like. Does the drum turn? After lacing does the LM stop, that suggests lacing has occurred corectly. Select pause straight after lacing has completed, Does the tape remain laced. Ability to use a scope would be a great help. Pulses should be checked. Particularly FG and PG pulses.

ssnjimb 30th Aug 2019 2:54 pm

1 Attachment(s)
It fully laces and the tape starts moving (top cover removed. drum spins. the LM stops fully. and yes a picture briefly appears. I will try pausing straight after lacing.

The VCR is now at my Girlfriends.

:-)

Great Progress :-)

Mine is a 1986 UK built version.

James

toshiba tony 30th Aug 2019 3:10 pm

Right, getting there, I have dementia but I follow your symptoms. As I've said, as soon as lacing finishes hit Pause and report back. We are nearly there.
Tony Walker

John123 30th Aug 2019 10:38 pm

Try put the lid back on for initial testing as the deck may be light sensitive.