UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Television and Video (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Photos from BBC colour experiments (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=74617)

ppppenguin 29th Sep 2011 8:32 am

Photos from BBC colour experiments

2 Attachment(s)
Last night, at the BFI, I was given some photos of early 1960s colour experiments by former BBC cameraman Michael Barrett. He can be seen operating the camera in the left middle picture. I think the colour work was done in Studio H at TC.

There are various other pictures too, including this monochrome set shot by Michael Barrett, when he was official photographer at a BAFTA event. Probably 50th anniversary of the AP TV service

beamcurrent 29th Sep 2011 10:09 am

Re: Photos from BBC colour experiments

Hello Jeffery,

PM follows

Brian

www.tvcameramuseum.org

dominicbeesley 29th Sep 2011 12:07 pm

Thanks for these Jeffrey,

Did they actually broadcast real live programs then during the tests?

Dom

ppppenguin 29th Sep 2011 2:12 pm

Michael has sent me some biographical notes and some information about the photos:

Quote:

As a teenager in the late 40's I had only one ambition and one ambition only - to join the team bringing television to the nation. Or at least to my home built Television receiver, built with the readily available ex WD components (EF50 valves and VCR 97 CRT).

Well 60 years later it was a real joy to visit Studio A the birthplace of High Definition Television.

Though never achieving this ambition I did spend happy years as a Cameraman at Lime Grove, Riverside Studios, BBC Television Theatre and finally Television Centre.

The Emitron with Leslie Mitchell and either DC Birkinshaw or Tony Bridgwater. At a BAFTA event to commemorate, probably the 50th anniversary of AP.
Shot by me as, at the time, BAFTA's official photographer.

The two shots of me with the Maconi camera were taken, early 60's, at Riverside studios on the set of "Sykes"

The Marconi on an OB dolly was taken while waiting for a "This is Your Life" victim (left frame
Eamon Andrews

The sketch is of a Marconi Camera on a Motorised Vinten

The two shots with an EMI camera at TV Centre, again with me (and appearing in shot) with Merrill O'Keefe as part of a School's Programme.

ppppenguin 29th Sep 2011 5:20 pm

Michael has also promised me loan the colour negatives to make some high quality scans. Does anyone have access to a decent quality negative scanner?

AidanLunn 29th Sep 2011 10:09 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ppppenguin (Post 468447)
Last night, at the BFI, I was given some photos of early 1960s colour experiments by former BBC cameraman Michael Barrett. He can be seen operating the camera in the left middle picture. I think the colour work was done in Studio H at TC.

There are various other pictures too, including this monochrome set shot by Michael Barrett, when he was official photographer at a BAFTA event. Probably 50th anniversary of the AP TV service

If the studio name has a letter, and in London, it will most definitely have been BBC Lime Grove. As far as I remember, this was where all the colour experiments with the Marconi "coffin" cameras took place.

ppppenguin 30th Sep 2011 6:30 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AidanLunn (Post 468637)
If the studio name has a letter, and in London, it will most definitely have been BBC Lime Grove. As far as I remember, this was where all the colour experiments with the Marconi "coffin" cameras took place.

Sorry, my deliberate error. I wondered who would be first to point this out:) It was indeed Lime Grove, as Michael stated in his own notes.

Patrick Dixon 30th Sep 2011 9:50 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ppppenguin (Post 468565)
Michael has also promised me loan the colour negatives to make some high quality scans. Does anyone have access to a decent quality negative scanner?

They look like they'll be 120 film (at least the square format colour ones) so any of the Epson flat-bed photo scanners will be fine. I have a 4990 if you get stuck.

Heatercathodeshort 30th Sep 2011 9:58 am

Hello Jeffrey,
I have a HP 4850 that scans positive and negative film and slides 35mm only.J.

ppppenguin 30th Sep 2011 10:09 am

I should be getting the negs in a couple of weeks.

I really must thank Michael Barrett again for his generosity and goodwill in making this material available. Brian Summers (Beamcurrent) will be hosting the the pictures on his website http://www.tvcameramuseum.org/index.htm in the near future.

arjoll 30th Sep 2011 10:10 am

I have a Perfection V700, beautiful scanner which will do up to large format, but probably best if you bring the negs over yourself rather than trust them to a courier. What's your budget? :)

Courtney Louise 30th Sep 2011 10:54 am

I have a large format negative scanner and I would happily scan these at very high resolution and supply them back on a DVD for free, just pay the return postage :-)

beamcurrent 2nd Oct 2011 10:31 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguin (Post 468708)
I should be getting the negs in a couple of weeks.

I really must thank Michael Barrett again for his generosity and goodwill in making this material available. Brian Summers (Beamcurrent) will be hosting the the pictures on his website http://www.tvcameramuseum.org/index.htm in the near future.

I have uploaded the pictures to http://www.tvcameramuseum.org/michae...page2index.htm in the best resolution available. Enjoy...

Brian S

McMurdo 2nd Oct 2011 4:33 pm

Wasn't there a programme on BBC2/4 a while back dealing with the problems when colour was being introduced? It might have been one of those things where they devoted a night to Lime Grove or something, I seem to remember them showing the fun they had trying to get a consistent greyscale between the cameras when changing shot.

AidanLunn 4th Oct 2011 11:49 am

I think that might have been a BBC2 night devoted to Lime Grove a few months after its closure - August/September 1991 I believe.

Slightly off-topic, I know, but here is Cliff Michelmore closing down the Lime Grove studios for the last time in June 1991, at the end of an episode of The Late Show. (Though the studio was opened briefly the next Monday to record a Peggy Ashcroft tribute, according to the video description)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVWpR-nZJkw

ppppenguin 9th Oct 2011 11:18 am

I now have the negs, they are 2.25" square. Unless there's anyone local the best offer is Jarl Ayari's for which many thanks. I'll be in or passing by Brum a couple of times this month so we might be able to meet up. I'll send you a PM.

Courtney Louise 11th Oct 2011 5:16 pm

I can happily say that the negatives are in my possession now and have started the scanning process. Each colour negative is being scanned at 2400dpi and saved as an uncompressed TIFF file at a yeild of 74Mb per photo. These would print out to approx A1 size but obviously square.

beamcurrent 11th Oct 2011 7:57 pm

In the picture of the colour studio, the smaller of the two cameras is unidentified, the larger is a Marconi three-tube 3" IO RGB camera the BD848. The unidentified camera is a bit of a conundrum, in the early 1960s colour cameras were Huge! and this camera is very compact for a colour camera at that time.

I have asked the most likely person to know, who suggested it might be a Philips LDK2 prototype, I'm not so sure myself. There seems to be 2 camera cables at the rear, possibly BICC Mk4b, it was common at the time for colour cameras to have more than one cable.

If anyone can help with the identity I would be very pleased. I have no other pictures of it. Big picture at http://www.tvcameramuseum.org/michae...olour1_jpg.htm

Regards Brian

channel405 11th Oct 2011 10:45 pm

Could it be a dummy or black and white camera dressed up for the photo shoot? Surely no single tube colour cameras where around then? What about three tube vidicon cameras? Brilliant website Brian!

Courtney Louise 11th Oct 2011 11:26 pm

2 Attachment(s)
Here is a sample of one of the negatives scanned and then a representation of a tiny area of it shown actual size, its clear enough to see the ferguson logo on the monitor!

Andi