UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Trying to revive a Goodmans One Ten receiver (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=171539)

Radio Wrangler 12th Nov 2020 11:07 am

Re: Trying to revive a Goodmans One Ten receiver

Have a try at different volume levels. Some things show up more at one extreme more than the other.

Have a try with different signal sources.

David

music-centre 12th Nov 2020 11:36 am

I would be inclined to leave it as it is if there are no obvious faults, I think sometimes you can just like the sound of some Hi-Fi equipment and not other.

I wont forget saving up for a JVC A-X3 Amplifier many years ago when it was a current model (I had not been working long) to replace a battered Leak stereo 30 that I had.

Soon as I connected it up I thought it was dull and flat sounding and couldnt get on with it and in the end swapped back to the leak!
Steve.

stevehertz 12th Nov 2020 12:25 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazySwede (Post 1309649)
Thanks for responding, John!
As I posted above there´s no obvious fault in the sound like hum, static, pops etc. But I feel that the sound quality is a bit muffled / dull lacking som clearness. Bass can feel a bit boomy too.
Was thinking this could be caused by components ageing and going out of spec?

If you compare it with another amp, both of them with the tone controls set flat, then in my opinion, if the Goodmans sounds muffled, then it's good reason to think that there's a problem. If the tonal differences are only slight and some judicious tweaking of the tone controls sorts it out (not lots) then that's probably just the difference between two amps and their tone controls. As mentioned, check out this aspect using different sources, eg the inbuilt FM tuner, a CD player into the tape input etc.

david freeman 12th Nov 2020 1:26 pm

The Goodmans OneTen shouldn’t sound dull or muffled at all.
It has quite a tight bass and the treble quality is very slightly crisp.

CrazySwede 12th Nov 2020 5:00 pm

Good advice as always in this fine forum. Will do a little more listening and testing before heating up the iron.

CrazySwede 21st Nov 2020 4:12 pm

3 Attachment(s)
And we got a working signal meter!
Don't know how to thank signature Shuttle enough for sending one to me overseas. What a gentleman!:thumbsup:
The supplied 1k resistor works like a charm getting the meter into range.
Attachment 220903

Attachment 220904

Attachment 220906

In action (shared g-drive video):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/14Sx...w?usp=drivesdk

CrazySwede 24th Nov 2020 8:18 pm

2 Attachment(s)
Order is restored: the 0-5 scale from the original meter is moved to the replacement which had 0-10.
Couldn't have that, could we.
Thanks for that reminder, Shuttle :idea:!

Nickthedentist 24th Nov 2020 8:26 pm

Amazing! Well done both of you.

Radio Wrangler 24th Nov 2020 11:58 pm

The writing's the right way up as well, now.

Nice work.

David

Speculator 16th Feb 2021 7:17 pm

Hi Crazy Swede
Having found this thread earlier today I have read through it with interest.
I had a Goodmans 120 Receiver from new back in the mid 70's and still have it although it has rarely been used since I replaced it with a Pioneer A400 in the early 90's.
It still worked last time I used it and since then I was given a supposedly working Goodmans 110 a few years ago.

Both of these could almost certainly do with some servicing, particularly with regard to that tuning pointer issue. My one certainly needs attention there.

However, you sourced and replaced those big smoothing caps.
I was wondering what ones you used and whether you paid attention to the need for these to be capable of handling high ripple currents. I know from looking at this issue in the past that getting the right capacitor for the job was often tricky.

Loved the picture of that oiled 110 - I must remeber that. Did you use wax-Oil ?

Keep up the good work.

John