UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Forum Announcements and Comments (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Attachment in Private Message (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=157355)

Laurdys 17th Jun 2019 12:37 am

Attachment in Private Message

Is it possible to send an attachment in a private message, If so how do I do it? Since me and another forum member are trying to reconstruct an incomplete schematic.

Electronpusher0 17th Jun 2019 6:58 am

Re: Attachment in Private Message

I would also be curious to know, when another forum member and I needed to swap schematics we had to exchange email addresses.
Peter

Dave Moll 17th Jun 2019 7:28 am

No, unfortunately, attachemnts are not possible with the forum's private message facility. If you wish to share attachments privately, it needs to be done by direct email (as opposed to PM or email via the forum). As Peter says, you need first to communicate email addresses.

Radio Wrangler 17th Jun 2019 9:09 am

I think the intent is to reserve the forum's storage capacity for images open to viewing by all. Also there is the possibility that such a facility could be exploited for distributing illegal images out of sight. A risk that no site moderator or owner would wish to leave themselves open to.

Swapping emails isn't a terrible hardship, and anything attached in the open area contributes to the general worth of the forum.

David

paulsherwin 17th Jun 2019 9:12 am

It's a limitation of the forum software and we can't do anything about it even if we wanted to. Sorry.

David Simpson 17th Jun 2019 10:55 am

In the long run, posting incomplete circuit diagrams & schematics in an open thread, would benefit the Forum community. Especially if they are eventually solved. As the other David says.
Folk have helped me in the past, as I have helped others. In general, many vintage diagrams have travelled backwards & forwards over the internet, being pdf'd or jpeg'd over & over, therefore sometimes becoming jolly unreadable. Many diagrams, which were in fold-out format in the original manuals, now are passed around in A4 sections as attachments. My advice is to carefully Sellotape them back together, then pop along to somewhere that can give you a couple of A3 scanned copies, correct them &/or modify them, then go back to the A3 scanner/printer & reduce them back to A4 for passing on.
Many Forum folk are also BVWS &/or VMARS members. Thus most membership lists display email contact details, enabling contact if folk wish to sign off their thread posts with their real name. If, on a rare occasion, someone becomes obnoxious, use the email provider's blocking facility.

Regards, David

Paul Stenning 18th Jun 2019 10:31 pm

David (Radio Wrangler) is absolutely correct, and as Paul says the software doesn't allow it even if we wanted to (which we don't).

If you don't want to swap email addresses you can always use something like Dropbox or Google Drive and send the link by PM. However we would encourage discussions to be on the forum for everyone's benefit if possible.

JohnBG8JMB 19th Jun 2019 11:49 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Simpson (Post 1153316)
My advice is to carefully Sellotape them back together, then pop along to somewhere that can give you a couple of A3 scanned copies, correct them &/or modify them, then go back to the A3 scanner/printer & reduce them back to A4 for passing on.

Regards, David

Do NOT use sellotape. It goes yellow and brittle and permanently discolours what it's stuck to. To rejoin sheets of paper use 'magic' tape stuck to the back- I think it's polyester based, stays cleat and flexible. I keep a roll specfically for repairing paper maps.

regards
John

David Simpson 20th Jun 2019 10:41 am

As John says, do not use Sellotape as a long term or permanent page joining solution. I just use it for joining up printed off copies of A4 prior to blowing up to A3. Sometimes these A3 copies display a feint outline of the Sellotape, but this can be tipex'd out.
Damaged pages from Manuals from yesteryear are a different matter. Some original Manuals are almost as valuable as the items themselves.
Thankfully, a number of Forum folk have carefully held on to them & occasionally kindly provide page copies for displaying in posts or sending to folk as email attachments.
BAMA has a massive free online archive. As does VMARS.

Regards, David

Oldcodger 21st Jul 2019 10:19 pm

There is a Sellotape designed for this purpose, i.e. joining docs together pre photo copy. I've used it and it does not reflect copy light back which is the source of line problems .

paulsherwin 21st Jul 2019 10:58 pm

Scotch Magic Tape is much better for this sort of job. It's relatively expensive, but lasts a long time if used sparingly.