UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Repair for Buckle for Equipment (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=194738)

FrankB 27th Sep 2022 7:40 pm

Repair for Buckle for Equipment

Some radio equipment uses a standard belt buckle with a tang (pin) that goes thru the hole in the belt to secure the equipment.

This tang often rusts off, is broken or missing.

I now have come up with the ingenious dirt cheap fix.

While repairing a clothes belt buckle that had a missing tang, I realized that the lowly old cotter pin held the answer.

Just take a cotter pin that has an eye big enough to go over the round buckle itself, pry open the cotter pin, and cut one leg down short- but leave enough that you can pinch the short part of the pin back closed over the buckle.

A little bit of filing to remove any burrs or sharp corners and Bob's your uncle!

Instant fix for dirt cheap. It should not take any more than 5 minutes to replace the tang, not counting the time to rummage in your car parts bins for a proper sized cotter pin.

Reelman 27th Sep 2022 8:53 pm

Re: Repair for Buckle for Equipment

Good idea Frank, thanks for sharing it. :thumbsup:

Peter

Silicon 27th Sep 2022 9:18 pm

This caused be a moment of confusion.

I visualised the cotter pin that retains a bicycle chainset on the bottom bracket spindle.

I usually call your cotter pins - 'split pins'.

FrankB 28th Sep 2022 6:27 am

We do have some language difficulties from time to time.

Here a split pin is a roll pin with a slot down the side.
(It also depends on which era one grows up in and what your parents called items. Here in the U.S. names of items can drastically vary depending on which part of the U.S. you are from. Confusing? Yes!).

Thanks for noting the difference in terminology.

radio69 30th Sep 2022 12:38 am

Now I know why my strides keep on falling down!

fetteler 30th Sep 2022 12:50 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankB (Post 1502316)
...Here a split pin is a roll pin with a slot down the side...

That's a spring pin here in the UK - two nations divided by a common language eh?!:-D

Steve.

Kentode 30th Sep 2022 3:28 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by radio69 (Post 1502700)
Now I know why my strides keep on falling down!

For FrankB's benefit, strides=trousers, hope that makes sense. ;D

TonyDuell 30th Sep 2022 4:03 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kentode (Post 1502775)

For FrankB's benefit, strides=trousers, hope that makes sense. ;D

And there was I thinking it meant the thing that has been occupying my workbench and much of my time for the last couple of months. It's probably on-topic here, a 68020-based vintage computer called a Stride 440.

Philips210 5th Nov 2022 7:38 pm

That's a good tip Frank.

Agreed, in the UK, our cotter pins tend to be a wedge shape headless bolt typically for fixing the pedal and crank arms to the crank spindle on bicycles as Silicon mentioned.

As for the open cylindrical spring metal pins with a lead-in taper, I too have always called them roll pins.

Regards,
Symon

ex 2 Base 6th Nov 2022 11:46 am

Cotter pins are used to attach pedals to a bike bottom bracket spindle, split pins are frequently used to secure a push chair wheel and the like, to the axle, fit a washer first. Roll pins are used to fix/secure a pulley to a shaft, it's sort of a short piece of harden thin sheet spring steel rolled tight, they are often pressed in and can be difficult to remove, don't attempt to drill them out, all you will do is ruin the drill.
That is what i use them for. Ted