UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Fender Vibro Champ Amp (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=193547)

Bufo Bill 12th Aug 2022 2:33 pm

Fender Vibro Champ Amp

1 Attachment(s)
Hi all, I'm working on a Fender Vibro Champ combo amp. I'm altering the biasing of the 6V6GTA, but the plate current is resolutely at 60+ mA. I'm going through the circuit and I noticed what looks like a tant cap across two of the pins of the valve, but I can't see one on the only schematic I can find (see attached). The cap goes between pin 5 and pin 8 (cathode). It has writing on it: 1KV 330k Z59. Any ideas what it's for? Has it been added or am I using the wrong schematic? The amp is 1979 judging from the serial number.
Cheers from Bill.

jjl 12th Aug 2022 5:01 pm

Re: Fender Vibro Champ Amp

It's a 330pF 1kV ceramic cap rather than a tant by the sound of it. If connected between g1 (pin 5) and cathode (pin 8) it may have been added to tame some HF instability, possibly by the manufacturer.

John

Bufo Bill 12th Aug 2022 5:15 pm

Cheers John, yes it is a ceramic disc cap, not a tantalum "blobbule" shape!
Can't turn the amp on right now, a 1k 1 watt cap just let out the magic smoke, and am short of replacements. Quite a few bad resistors unfortunately. Done the electrolytic caps, the others seem okay. Hopefully this will sort out the high current.
Cheers from Bill.

Bufo Bill 12th Aug 2022 5:21 pm

Does the cap filter high frequencies? How does it work?
Cheers from Bill.

Herald1360 12th Aug 2022 6:41 pm

It forms a low pass filter with the stray inductance of the input wiring and the series impedance of the input source.

Aub 12th Aug 2022 9:00 pm

How are you altering the bias? As it's auto bias, I assume you're altering the value of the cathode resistor. Just curious.

Cheers
Aub

Radio Wrangler 12th Aug 2022 9:24 pm

If the output bottle is creating high frequency oscillation, you might not be aware of it directly unless you've had a prod around with a scope.... or unless you happened to notice an increase in the bias current, perhaps?

Quite often, stability issues in entertainment equipment is done on a suck-it-and-see empirical basis, sometimes abbreviated to the word 'bodging'.

That capacitor is in a place which provides HF loading on the anode of the preceding valve. This creates an added zero, rolling off the gain at higher frequencies, but also rolling in phase lag. The game is to bring the gain down to les than unity before the phase lag has built up enough to reverse feedback. On top of this, valves and transistors can go unstable on their own without needing loops or much of the other stages. This is what parasitic stopper reistors are used for.

Just because a box has a famous name on it isn't a guarantee that stability has been properly sorted.

So the next step is to go looking for any hooting.

David

Bufo Bill 12th Aug 2022 9:33 pm

Thanks for the responses.
Aub, I was planning to alter the Bias via Cathode resistor, as the 6V6GTA (as the Americans call it) was running very hot. I have found a lot of duff resistors though so I will put it back to standard and go from there.
David, The Bias current is very high so you might be right about on the button as usual.
Cheers from Bill.

Bufo Bill 12th Aug 2022 10:02 pm

The Cathode current is about 50 mA when it should be mid twenties. A 1k resistor expired and I am awaiting stock, so nothing can be done for a day or two. About a third of all resistors need changing. Judging by the chrome fittings it has been in an attic for a while.
A roadie friend of my dad's (now gone to the great lock-in in the sky) once told me Fenders "Eat Valves" due to being designed to run ridiculously hot anyway, so I'm not surprised by all this.
Cheers from Bill.

joebog1 12th Aug 2022 10:25 pm

Correct on Fenders eating 6V6's. As you say they do run them very hot.
I am sus on that number!! 6V6GTA. Is that a Sovtek or Svetlana by any chance ?.
Joe

Bufo Bill 12th Aug 2022 10:53 pm

I think the 6V6GTA was branded Fender, will check tomorrow.
Cheers from Bill.

Diabolical Artificer 13th Aug 2022 7:20 am

Before making changes it might be an idea to fix the present issue else you might introduce more.

How are you measuring anode current? What is Vk, should be around 12 to 15v? Ck isn't leaky by any chance is it?

Andy.

ms660 13th Aug 2022 10:10 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by joebog1 (Post 1491644)
I am sus on that number!! 6V6GTA.

Controlled heater warm up time (11 secs. average)

Lawrence.

Bufo Bill 13th Aug 2022 10:22 am

Hi, thanks for the responses.
Joe, the tube is branded "Fender USA".
Andy, I will definitely be putting this back to factory spec before making any changes.
Anode current was calculated via voltage and impedance. I measured this between pin 8 of the 5Y3GT valve which goes to the transformer and anode pin of the 6V6GTA and calculated the current that way. I can't take further measurements until I can replace the 1k resistor that burned out.
Cheers from Bill.

Herald1360 13th Aug 2022 10:48 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bufo Bill (Post 1491640)

A roadie friend of my dad's (now gone to the great lock-in in the sky) once told me Fenders "Eat Valves" due to being designed to run ridiculously hot anyway, so I'm not surprised by all this.
Cheers from Bill.

He's not wrong in this case!

Just taking the voltages shown in the circuit snippet, the 6V6GT is being over volted on the screen and right on the upper limit of its anode and screen dissipation ratings.

Is reliability or originality the foremost requirement?

Valvepower 13th Aug 2022 11:02 am

1 Attachment(s)
Hello,

I’ve attached a schematic for the Champ I located whilst researching Fender Deluxe and Bassman amps in the last few days.

It shows 21V on the cathode to ground so I make that 45mA and with +20% it could be as high as 54mA, so 60mA with a very good valve isn’t out the question. This could be exaggerated by a higher mains and subsequently a higher HT voltage.

Check g1 is at ground potential to make sure the coupling capacitor isn't leaky.

As for the 330pF capacitor I agree it could have been added to stop instability. I noted there are no grid stoppers, which isn’t uncommon in Fenders, and to keep faithful to the original design they may have opted to use the capacitor instead of adding g1 stopper?

Having done time building and working on guitar amplifiers I’m guilty of solving stability issues in entertainment equipment using a suck-it-and-see empirical methods… And, I stand guilty as charged Ma Lord!

Fender took the ‘ole 6V6 within an inch of its life so the 6V6’s must be good ‘uns.

Ps. The cathode voltage reading and thus the calculated current will include the screen g2 current.

Terry

Valvepower 13th Aug 2022 11:23 am

I assume your measuring just the current flowing to the output transformer and not the entire HT supply and current?

Going back to my last post the cathode voltage reading and thus the calculated current will include the screen g2 current so the actual anode current will be lower than the cathode current – I think that right... The napper is overheating in this weather!

Terry.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bufo Bill (Post 1491711)
Anode current was calculated via voltage and impedance. I measured this between pin 8 of the 5Y3GT valve which goes to the transformer and anode pin of the 6V6GTA and calculated the current that way.
Cheers from Bill.

Bufo Bill 13th Aug 2022 12:16 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Herald1360 (Post 1491717)
Is reliability or originality the foremost requirement?

This is a user not a museum piece, but I don't want to gut the thing entirely, unless essential.
Cheers from Bill.

Bufo Bill 13th Aug 2022 12:19 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valvepower (Post 1491730)
Going back to my last post the cathode voltage reading and thus the calculated current will include the screen g2 current so the actual anode current will be lower than the cathode current – I think that right... The napper is overheating

You've got me there Terry, I'll let you know when we're back and functional.
Cheers from Bill.

Bufo Bill 13th Aug 2022 12:44 pm

Postie's been and no 1k's, so it'll be Monday before things move further folks.
Cheers from Bill.