UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Radio (domestic) (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Unknown fixing (clip) (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=162886)

Northyorks1 11th Jan 2020 11:19 pm

Unknown fixing (clip)

3 Attachment(s)
Can anyone tell me what type of fixing this is, put a name to it. And where I may be able to purchase. It is one of four fixings to secure chassis in a Ferguson 342bu, and one is broken. Hope pics are clear enough.

Ian

Ed_Dinning 11th Jan 2020 11:30 pm

Re: Unknown fixing (clip)

Hi Ian, I think they were manufactured by CLIX, sometimes used to secure backs as well.

Ed

jimmc101 11th Jan 2020 11:57 pm

Looks like a relative of the 'Tinnerman Nut' but I'm afraid it didn't help with a quick search.
Jim

teetoon 12th Jan 2020 12:21 am

Hi. Results come up for Spire nuts, self tapping spring clips, U nuts, Spring clips etc but they only show the thin panel versions.

David.

Radio Wrangler 12th Jan 2020 12:33 am

I know them as Spire nuts or spire clips. Maybe they were one of the first with such things. But with the wide throat of the clipping aspect, it may be a custom-made part.

David

Refugee 12th Jan 2020 12:47 am

They look a bit like a cross between the ones on the TR82 and the regular ones.

emeritus 12th Jan 2020 1:33 am

I know them as Spire clips. Looks as if the clip clips on to a fairly thick item (wood) and the fixing screw, presumably a self tapper, passes through a bore in the wood. If you can't find a clip, you could fill the through hole with a styrene wood filler (plastic padding or ronson wood filler) and drill a hole slightly larger than the root of the screw and screw it in. If it is a machine screw, drill and tap as you would in soft metal.

teetoon 12th Jan 2020 2:14 am

Ian, how is it broken ? I had one in the past where the 2 thin parts had snapped and I soldered it back together. It was fine as it's not under much tension once the screw tightens the clip towards the panel.

I have been doing some searching but still can't find any thick panel versions even from China.

David.

Radio Wrangler 12th Jan 2020 5:41 am

You can also use a thin panel one with all of it placed on the far side of your thick panel, with a dab of resilient glue (Evostik) to hold it in place until the screw is inserted. There is a risk, though, that the spire clip drops off when the screw is withdrawn.

David

Northyorks1 12th Jan 2020 1:49 pm

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks for all your replies. I have searched the internet with no luck. Regarding broken clip there is just a small piece of it left, so no bits to put back together. There are four plastic mounts for the clips which form part of the case. I have added 2 more pics one with clip on mount one without.

Ian

BRASSBITS 12th Jan 2020 2:02 pm

what is the thickness of the plastic?

ronbryan 12th Jan 2020 2:05 pm

I made a similar one once by folding a piece of thin brass sheet into a 'U' shape and drilling a large clearance hole one side and a smaller hole the other side sized for the self-tapping screw. I did not attempt to fabricate the 'teeth' on the original Spire clip, but I did run the screw through before fitting it to the set to avoid it twisting out of position during first assembly.

Ron

Northyorks1 12th Jan 2020 2:30 pm

Plastic is 17mm wide and recess that clips slides into is 12mm. Thanks Ron may end up doing what you have said.

Ian

peterpixel 12th Jan 2020 3:25 pm

I remember these being used in the 50s and 60s to hold the card backs on tvs like the Ferguson 992 etc.Sorry can't help with the name or with the supplier.Peter.

FIXITNOW 12th Jan 2020 8:30 pm

also used on radiograms to hold on the card backs

HamishBoxer 12th Jan 2020 8:37 pm

Certainly used a lot on tv,s and many other things.Though I never knew the name of them before.

Cobaltblue 12th Jan 2020 9:46 pm

3 Attachment(s)
Hi I have this clip yours if it will fit :thumbsup:

Cheers

Mike T

Northyorks1 13th Jan 2020 1:13 pm

That looks like the one Mike, Have sent you PM.

Thanks Ian

Northyorks1 15th Jan 2020 4:19 pm

Can Mods please close this thread. I have received exact clip required from Mike (Cobaltblue). Thanks again Mike really appreciated.

Ian