UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   I hate Steampunk AVOs (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=151803)

Guest 27th Nov 2018 3:01 pm

I hate Steampunk AVOs

1 Attachment(s)
Oh my god!!!, how many AVOs are suffering this torture and are been destroyed?

8-o

I think that a xxxx lamp can be bought in IKEA. >((

Leave the AVOs alone!! :wall:

PsychMan 27th Nov 2018 3:05 pm

Re: I hate Steampunk AVOs

Not to my taste, or the similarly gutted radios with lamp holders coming out the top.

If the lamps were dimmable, with a circuit to drive the meter, at least it would show some skill :-D

linescan87 27th Nov 2018 3:19 pm

Re: I HATE STEAM-PUNK AVOs

AVO's make very good multimeters, but fairly c##p lamps. The biggest problem I have with this sort of thing is that when the "lamp" is no longer on trend it is simply tossed in the bin, whereas at least it could have been a source of spares.

John Joe.

Refugee 27th Nov 2018 3:41 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Old mantle clocks look pretty stupid with a lamp sticking out of the top.
It is even worse if they put one of those horrid CFLs in the holder.

Nickthedentist 27th Nov 2018 3:44 pm

That's and HMV Cavendish fan heater, is it not?

Don't forget that there were synchronous clocks made in the 30s/40s/50s which had a lampholder shoved in the top. They look nice enough with the appropriate style of shade, e.g. https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...h1uELNRvMJ5zke

But yes, I hate viable vintage stuff being turned upcycled into something abhorrent.

Nick.

Refugee 27th Nov 2018 3:46 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Well spotted:thumbsup:
I have seen Bakelite alarm clocks that were made with a lamp in the top but the idea has been copied by people who rip the movement out to make way for the wiring on those wooden mantle clocks. They really do look stupid.

Paul_RK 27th Nov 2018 3:54 pm

The Avo, and the Cavendish, are horrors I haven't seen before. A part of me is relieved that the depredations of home lighting "upcyclers" aren't entirely restricted to Belling Champions: then, there must be some limit to the number of folk whose requirements of a lamp are that it provides a small patch of light on the floor, a more diffuse circular pattern on the ceiling and nothing in between.

Paul

The Philpott 27th Nov 2018 4:44 pm

It's a fashion disease Aitor, i bought quite a rare Avominor last year that had been made into a USB powered desk-lamp, for the sole purpose of converting it back to an Avominor, filling in holes with Araldite glue (coloured with black paint) as i went along. The repairs to the case can be seen, but i left them this way to be a reminder of just how close to destruction the meter came.

These fashion items are actually not selling too well in the UK at the moment, some have had their prices dropped by 50% and are still not being sold. Old rusting filing cabinets that have been wire-brushed and treated with clear varnish are still however sometimes selling for several hundred GBP as part of the 'industrial chic' fashion.

Dave

Sinewave 27th Nov 2018 5:52 pm

I don't understand the lamp bandwagon with steam punking old avos.

Besides, these deluded people want an incredible amount of money for what is essentially a completely useless lamp.

Lloyd 1985 27th Nov 2018 5:55 pm

Another favourite is making lamps out of old cameras, I saw an old Bakelite Kodak Brownie that had its lens drilled out and a lamp holder sticking out where the lens once was... it was then mounted on a wooden tripod and a naff golf ball sized filament bulb shoved in the socket. It looked utterly ridiculous!

There was also a rather sad looking AVO upturned on top of a guitar amplifier that had been converted to Bluetooth...

I’m going to try making a multimeter out of a modern lamp, see if I can sell it for £3000!!

Regards
Lloyd

yesnaby 27th Nov 2018 5:58 pm

Then there is the 'We hate old tech' vandalism introduction to the TV programme Click.

Craig Sawyers 27th Nov 2018 6:18 pm

I used to play clarinet in a wind band. The guy who ran it, and conducted, was a clarinetist too (better than me by quite a margin). But when he retired, and based on the fact that he had played his clarinet into the dust over the years, and it was totally knackered, made it into a table lamp.

mole42uk 27th Nov 2018 7:18 pm

I have an old oboe that someone sawed the top off to make a table-lamp. I’m in the process of making a new top to make the lamp into an oboe.

llama 27th Nov 2018 7:24 pm

Just re-listened to an old Radio 2 programme about Artie Shaw. Apparently when he was done playing clarinet he converted that into a lamp.
Graham

Radio Wrangler 27th Nov 2018 11:50 pm

Could it be an alarm AVO?

Dial up the wanted waking time on the range knobs and at the appointed time, the cutout pops, the scale flashes and the knobs spin. The integrated bedside lamp completes the act.

It doesn't make tea, but it does turn your soldering iron on, ready for action.

David

MrBungle 27th Nov 2018 11:52 pm

1 Attachment(s)
At least that Avo works as a lamp sort of.

This, I can't fathom!

Is it for interrogations?

Guest 27th Nov 2018 11:57 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Another sad example :dunce:

Only 398 pounds.....

Craig Sawyers 28th Nov 2018 12:13 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by llama (Post 1096038)
Just re-listened to an old Radio 2 programme about Artie Shaw. Apparently when he was done playing clarinet he converted that into a lamp.
Graham

He apparently stopped playing at the height of his fame because he thought he was not good enough to play at the level of perfection he set for himself. At the age of 44. He lived to 94.

yesnaby 28th Nov 2018 12:31 am

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/5921...ABEgJx-vD_BwE#

Guest 28th Nov 2018 12:41 am

4 Attachment(s)
Oh my god! they are going to destroy the history with stupid lamps an other garbage