UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Components and Circuits (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Unidentified vintage components (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=151228)

Jolly 7 8th Nov 2018 11:07 pm

Unidentified vintage components

1 Attachment(s)
These components were in a box of vintage resistors. I don't know what they are and where they were used. Can anyone identify these please.

60 oldjohn 8th Nov 2018 11:13 pm

Re: Unidentified vintage components

Insulated stand offs and feed through ? used before tag strips the bush TR82 uses plastic items very similar.

John.

emeritus 8th Nov 2018 11:17 pm

I have a couple of the bottom item, which is a feedthrough for bringing out a connection through a metal barrier or the wall of a metal box. It would be soldered in place. I don't recognise the other two.

Andrew2 8th Nov 2018 11:24 pm

The top one is a simple stand-off tag connector - a single version of a tagstrip if you like. The spacer will be ceramic. The middle one looks very strange!

Jolly 7 8th Nov 2018 11:24 pm

Thanks gentlemen. That does make sense. First I thought they were old diodes but they are showing continuity on my meter apart from the ceramic glass 'waist' area.

m0cemdave 8th Nov 2018 11:55 pm

I also have some of these.

The lower item is probably made by KLG (of spark plug fame) and widely used in oil-filled transformers (Parmeko etc) where they are soldered into the sealed can to form the terminals.

The middle one is of similar application but made of glass.

Andrew B 9th Nov 2018 12:13 am

Feed through capacitors?

m0cemdave 9th Nov 2018 12:48 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew B (Post 1090431)
Feed through capacitors?

These are designed for minimum capacitance. I have just measured a few of mine, and they are all around 4pF.

FrankB 9th Nov 2018 4:29 am

Insulated feed thru's.
They also made feed thru capacitors that could look very close.
Come to think of it, an insulated feed thru would have a certain amount of capacitance.

ukcol 9th Nov 2018 9:32 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by emeritus (Post 1090405)
I have a couple of the bottom item, which is a feedthrough for bringing out a connection through a metal barrier or the wall of a metal box. It would be soldered in place. I don't recognise the other two.

Agreed, except to add that it will be a feed-through capacitor, almost certainly of 1000pF (0.001uF).

boxdoctor 10th Nov 2018 6:26 pm

I seem to recall that the feed-through capacitors have a silver, or silvery, covering over the outside outer surface of the ceramic tube.
If so, as ukcol says, almost certainly 1000 P.F.. Tony