UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Vidor Jamboree record player (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=113833)

robert.copley1 8th Feb 2015 2:00 pm

Vidor Jamboree record player

Can anyone identify a 50's or 60's portable record player? It's a Vidor, no ID or other details. It has two sets of connections for batteries [size and type unknown] and a Garrard turntable for 45's. It is the same size as a CN438 Jamboree, has a metal carrier with two valve connections not used and no valves fitted, just a transistor type.

Thanks.

Audio1950 8th Feb 2015 2:08 pm

Re: Vidor record player information required.

A picture or two would be of enormous help, Robert.

Barry

robert.copley1 8th Feb 2015 2:17 pm

Hi Barry, don't have a pic at the moment, the player is at my son in law's but will try to get some pics soon.

Bob.

robert.copley1 8th Feb 2015 7:13 pm

I've got some pictures on my phone if I could send them to someone to post up for me?

camtechman 9th Feb 2015 1:23 pm

Can't you download them from the phone onto the computer?

Pictures from the computer (as JPegs) can then be uploaded onto this website.

robert.copley1 9th Feb 2015 9:03 pm

Will try to get my daughter to post a pic this week, what I have found so far it's the same cabinet as the Regatta radio. Looking from the top, the speaker is on the left, with the t/table on the right. Can't find any information on a Vidor battery record player, could it be a one off?

robert.copley1 10th Feb 2015 1:17 pm

pics

Herald1360 10th Feb 2015 1:29 pm

Or not...... ???

robert.copley1 10th Feb 2015 1:33 pm

2 Attachment(s)
Yeah

Audio1950 10th Feb 2015 2:37 pm

What does that lettering on the arm say? Not "Garrard", surely??

Barry

robert.copley1 10th Feb 2015 2:48 pm

Yes Garrard

Herald1360 10th Feb 2015 7:04 pm

It looks like (from underneath) a very good home brew, but that speaker plate looks like original and nothing like any attaché radio I've seen. Then again the repurposed valve chassis and unused mounts for a radio's lid switch aren't very professional either.

It's a bitza but home brewed or factory built ???

Certainly a rarity!

robert.copley1 10th Feb 2015 8:02 pm

thanks chris , its an interesting find , I got it at a car autojumble for a few quid , didn't want to put the wrong size batteries in it , don't know if it takes 2 9v or what , and don't want to damage anything ! bob

Nuvistor 10th Feb 2015 8:33 pm

Is that wire wound pot a motor speed control?
Frank

Nickthedentist 10th Feb 2015 8:39 pm

Have you checked your thread from 2013? https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=99305

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul_RK (Post 634295)
The only Vidor record player I'm aware of is the CN438 Jamboree. If you have or know of one of those it's exceptionally scarce, and could possibly be the only one still around. It's listed in the 1956 Radio Show catalogue, and Radiomuseum has an entry for it according to which it's a valved model - that's unusual in itself, as while a few companies launched transistor record players around then I can't think offhand of another record player (as opposed to portable radiogram) to have used battery valves. According to RM the HT battery was an L5512, Vidor's equivalent of the very widely used 90 volt B126, long since unavailable but substitutes can be made up. RM doesn't know the LT battery type and neither do I, but Vidor products almost always had a label pasted inside giving their type numbers which can usually be converted to more familiar Ever Ready equivalents. If you do have the player, any details or photographs would be very welcome. Without having seen one I'd not even care to hazard a guess as to whether the LT battery has to power the motor as well as supplying the valves, or whether a spring-driven motor is used.

If you look up the CN438 on Radiomuseum, it takes you here: http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/vidor_cn438.html where it says:

Quote:

Same cabinet as Regatta CN420 or Henley CN426 Attaché Radios
The speaker grille looks the same as these: http://www.portabletubes.co.uk/portables/v435.htm

But are these really in the the same case as yours? If they are, the speaker grille etc. are very different.

Nick.

robert.copley1 10th Feb 2015 8:44 pm

Don't think so Frank, but I'm a Gas Engineer:)

Nuvistor 10th Feb 2015 8:47 pm

Wire wound pot, ok, it just looked from photo that is was wired to the motor.
Frank

robert.copley1 10th Feb 2015 9:11 pm

Nick thanks for the info the cabinet is the same as the regatta but the speaker is a plastic moulded type with the same double d shape , there is a trace of the original label backing [missing]:-) did vidor us this plastic speaker on any other radios ? bob

Nickthedentist 10th Feb 2015 9:14 pm

I don't know, Bob, but they used the same shape on the radios I provided a link to in post 15.

Paul_RK 10th Feb 2015 9:47 pm

I don't know where the Radiomuseum reference to an HT battery came from - possibly the Mark Johnson book on attache radios, which I don't have. Despite that, my guess would be that this is a CN438 Jamboree. Several companies were launching battery powered transistorised record players in and around 1956 - Roberts briefly tried one, as did Cossor - and a valved model in '56 would have been distinctly dated. The outer case certainly looks the same as for the Regatta/ Henley radio models. Vidor had made an earlier valved record player, with a spring motor and for 78s only.

Definitely an extreme rarity, as is its Roberts counterpart (the Mayflower) - that didn't enter full production, allegedly because of speed stability issues, and most likely the Vidor didn't either. I'm suspicious of the two knobs, but otherwise it all looks probably original to me.

Paul