UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   Retro Bar Pump Light (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=163432)

JUSTDAMO 30th Jan 2020 8:26 pm

Retro Bar Pump Light

2 Attachment(s)
Hello,

I have a few of these retro type bar pump displays, the one pictured is just an example.

The the electrical component slides out and there is a space for looks like a tiny light bulb..... as this would light up the display, this I am sure of as the display case is hollow inside.

The only trouble is I don't know what they are called and where I could get any from....? it looks like a fuse would fit in but it is a bigger size.
Just underneath there is a connector part for you to feed a wire and then attach a plug to the end - thus giving it power.

Can anyone shed any light on type of bulb and what they are called?

Thanks

Outrun_uk 30th Jan 2020 8:42 pm

Re: Retro Bar Pump Light

I'd try using some 12 volt car interior light type bulbs and feed it from a suitably rated wall-wart type PSU.

HTH,

Kev

Guest 30th Jan 2020 8:42 pm

Festoon lamps, although not designed to fit fuse holders (they use end pips) they do. Fuse style lamps are available but quite rare. Festoons can be had for Halfords etc. probably in LED by now.

wave solder 30th Jan 2020 8:50 pm

There was a tubular lamp that was often used as a courtesy light called a festoon bulb. whether it would fit that holder though is unclear.

JUSTDAMO 30th Jan 2020 9:09 pm

Festoons - that's the one!!!

Thanks evryone

TowerRadio 30th Jan 2020 11:00 pm

They were also used in illuminated bell pushes,various voltages I seem to remember.Les

broadgage 30th Jan 2020 11:17 pm

Yes, festoon bulbs. These come in a vast selection of ratings and dimensions.
Careful measurements should reveal something suitable in size.

Various voltages are available but 12 volts is the most common. If using an LED bulb, then it will probably need a DC supply. For an incandescent bulb, AC or DC is fine.

Do double check the inside of the unit, just in case it already contains a light source, and the fuse holder is intended to contain a fuse to protect the supply to the light.

Refugee 31st Jan 2020 12:41 am

I have got an alcohol free branded beer pump laying about that I used to use for parties with normal lager when I could get the stuff in kegs.
It has a bit of 2 core cable at the base but I have never tried the lamp.
I may be able to dig it out and have a look if you want.
I think there used to be a low voltage transformer under the bar for them.

AC/HL 31st Jan 2020 1:23 am

The genuine ones used to use 24v filament bulbs fed from isolation transformer(s). You can use any (low) voltage in a domestic setting.

Silicon 31st Jan 2020 2:01 am

If you do an internet search for Marantz bulbs you will probably find the 8Volt fuse shaped (approximately 6 x 30mm) bulbs.

6.3Volt versions are also available.

joebog1 31st Jan 2020 2:10 am

We call them fuse lamps. They come in 6.3 volts, 8 volts and 12 volts.
They are the same size as a 3AG fuse, i.e. 6.35mm X 32 mm.

Joe

mike_newcomb 31st Jan 2020 11:01 am

Hi Justdamo.

those type of Bulbs / Lamps are used in Entryphone Bell-push Panels, which are generally on 24/7.

As others have advised they come in various sizes (some very close), voltages and wattages. Also supply might be ac or dc.

Have found incorrect Automotive Festoon Bulbs fitted, which while bright can run too hot, especially as on 24/7.

With that fitting double check the size, especially the diameter needed, as there are two sizes very close.

Regards - Mike

McMurdo 31st Jan 2020 11:03 am

My dad collects beer pumps, amongst his serial hording issues. His are all supplied with 24V AC and a few of them have come attached to what looks like bell transformers, usually multi-output. Might be worth keeping yours at 24V in case you get others (?) which already have lamps in there. 24V will use less current too.

https://shop.atlantic.org.uk/bar-lig...rmer-216-p.asp

Herald1360 31st Jan 2020 5:19 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by joebog1 (Post 1212755)
We call them fuse lamps. They come in 6.3 volts, 8 volts and 12 volts.
They are the same size as a 3AG fuse, i.e. 6.35mm X 32 mm.

Joe

That's an inch and a quarter by quarter fuse in old money 8-)

hannahs radios 31st Jan 2020 9:46 pm

They had similar to those in my relative's pub, the bulbs were the fuse types and rated for 24 volts working. I think for the seven or so pumps there were two transformers which lived under the bar. The plastic housing just got barely warm even after being on from 5 PM to around 10 PM.

Hope this helps.