UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Radio (domestic) (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   GECoPhone BC 3235 Restoration Advice (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=156320)

ChasHeater 5th May 2019 6:02 pm

GECoPhone BC 3235 Restoration Advice

3 Attachment(s)
I have recently acquired a GECoPhone BC 3235 circa 1931. The radio is in need of some restoration to the case aside from the electronics restoration/repairs. There are odd bits of veneer that want stabilising or replacement. But for these who know this model, the (I assume) bakelite grill has become broken and lost over the years. I have managed to find photographs of how it should look and the two ends remain, so I am guessing it might be possible to recreate the missing item. I was wondering if there is someone who has had a similar dilemma and has a process to do this. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Herald1360 6th May 2019 8:25 am

Re: GECoPhone BC 3235 Restoration Advice

Could be a job for a decent 3D printer. If it's actual wood, though, a fair bit of painstaking fretsaw and Dremel work with careful sanding could get somewhere near.

Or replace it with something simpler that lines up with the bit that's left just to break up the large flat area of speaker grille/cloth.

vinrads 6th May 2019 8:36 am

Having just casts some plastic knobs ,I was surprised how easy it was , I was thinking if that is a big if! you could borrow an original one , take a plaster /silicone cast ,you could make a very good copy. Mick.

Mike. Watterson 6th May 2019 10:30 am

Cut up, glue and paint plastic chopsticks? Maybe sand one side rounder.

ChasHeater 6th May 2019 3:32 pm

Hi All, Thanks for the replies so far. The original material looks to be either bakelite or ebonite, very dark brown in colour. Love the chop sticks idea, could be an answer as the rays are tapered. Failing that, as suggested cut one from wood. As I have the two ends I know the thickness and profile of the rays. I doubt if I'll find another one to copy, and my 3D cad skills are somewhat limited. I like a challenge though!

ChasHeater 3rd Jun 2019 2:20 pm

3 Attachment(s)
Hi All, I Thought I might update my post with regards the GECoPhone BC3235 I have been working on. A big thanks to Mike Watterson who suggested the idea of using chopsticks to fabricate the missing fan grill adornment on my GECoPhone. I have completed my restoration and the attached photos show my efforts. As was mentioned on another thread the radio actually works without any further intervention other then a good clean. The valves are not period unfortunately but I'll keep my eyes open.

Mike. Watterson 3rd Jun 2019 3:06 pm

Looks lovely and ta for the credit. We have always had plastic and bamboo ones in the house since late 1970s or early 1980s. Some may be the originals and have gone "globe trotting" with us.

Reelman 3rd Jun 2019 3:19 pm

That looks very good, impressive job! In fact my wife, who is incredibly fussy and not the least bit interested in radios gave it her seal of approval. High praise indeed!

Peter

vinrads 4th Jun 2019 11:58 am

That looks fantastic well done that man , I have used the same type of chop sticks to make trimming tools , Mick.

60 oldjohn 4th Jun 2019 1:43 pm

WOW! that is brilliant, who needs 3D printers when you are about with chopsticks and glue? Were you able to get an original to measure? No doubt it took a lot of effort and skill. Well done.

John.

Graham G3ZVT 4th Jun 2019 10:37 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 60 oldjohn (Post 1150197)
WOW! that is brilliant, who needs 3D printers when you are about with chopsticks and glue? Were you able to get an original to measure? No doubt it took a lot of effort and skill. Well done.

John.

I am guessing he was working from the very clear auction image in post #1
Here it is side-by-side with the finished set
Attachment 184453

ChasHeater 5th Jun 2019 12:01 am

Thanks for all the comments. I was working from the image suggested, plus I had the top and bottom bits for sizing purposes. It’s one of the things I love about this hobby - having to make do and mend. Keeps the mind agile.

Nickthedentist 5th Jun 2019 10:30 am

Lovely job! I'm very impressed. Could you share with us how exactly you did it, please?

Nick.

Vintage_RC 5th Jun 2019 12:21 pm

Amazing job, I would also enjoy hearing more details of how you went about the chopstick restoration.