UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Where To Get Sets and Parts (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Electrojumble at TNMOC 21st April (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=155370)

Timbucus 1st Apr 2019 7:26 pm

Electrojumble at TNMOC 21st April

http://www.tnmoc.org/news/upcoming-events/electrojumble

may be of interest as they mention non computer parts that do not match the collection like telecommunication, military and civilian radio parts etc.

Sounds like it could feel a bit like the old Radio Rallys...

Herald1360 1st Apr 2019 9:17 pm

Re: Electrojumble at TNMOC 21st April

Sounds like a very possible Easter outing!

turretslug 2nd Apr 2019 4:47 pm

Noted- thanks.

m0cemdave 20th Apr 2019 5:30 pm

I have just helped to set this up.

A proper jumble sale with vintage test equipment, oscilloscopes, lots of components, some bits of military radio kit and a stack of old wooden cased domestic radios. Some valve data pocket books including a lot of the Mullard ones.

Most of it very cheap, but there are also a few proper collectors' items including a Ferrograph Y5 stereo 1/2-track, a Brenell mono 1/2 track deck (electronics needs rebuild), an American roller-scale valve tester and a Leak Varislope tuner. And one or two 1920's radios for restoration.

Opening time is 10.00, doors won't open before then but it won't be raining if you have to queue!

Entrance is via the gates to the Bletchley Park site, but TNMOC is a completely independent museum and there is no need to buy a ticket for BP. After going through the entrance barrier, turn left at the end of the road and then keep going until the end of the road (straight on at the vintage roundabout). The entrance to the sale room is on the right.
If in doubt, the BP parking guides will show you the way if you ask for the Computer Museum.

high_vacuum_house 20th Apr 2019 5:47 pm

Good afternoon,
I didn’t get to Hack Green last week so I will be definitely be going tomorrow. Sounds like the sort of stuff for sale that I like to restore and mess around with!!
See you tomorrow!

Christopher Capener

m0cemdave 20th Apr 2019 8:06 pm

5 Attachment(s)
some pictures:

m0cemdave 20th Apr 2019 8:07 pm

5 Attachment(s)
more:

m0cemdave 20th Apr 2019 8:09 pm

5 Attachment(s)
and finally:

Please note that the AVO's are all faulty and for spares only.
The scopes are not tested, and neither is any of the other equipment !

Wear a badge with your forum name, and say hello ...

Sean Williams 20th Apr 2019 11:33 pm

I will be there with Chris - Hopefully will be able to find some useful goodies in amongst that lot :)

Sean Williams 21st Apr 2019 8:49 pm

What a good little event - I hope that there will be more (I could be persuaded to help if needed)

I came back with a nice little pile of odds and ends, and some lumps, that will yield many useful spare parts and hard to find bits.

A bit sad that there appeared to be no takers for the domestic stuff - perhaps this wasn't the right sort of crowd.

Saw a number of forum members there, all of which seemed to be walking away with their arms loaded.

m0cemdave 21st Apr 2019 10:12 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean Williams (Post 1138727)
Saw a number of forum members there, all of which seemed to be walking away with their arms loaded.

... and here are two of them:

Top Cap 21st Apr 2019 10:49 pm

1 Attachment(s)
I was there looking for a good 4 terminal measurement multi-meter but sadly nothing like that there. Good selection of parts for those wanting them for repairs etc. I had to resist the woodies as I have no room in my flat :-[ but I bought an odd attenuator for £2. When I returned home I gutted it and built a 30dB pad for my audio work. To buy just an equivalent diecast box is around £34 8-o so in that respect it was very well worth going.

Radio Wrangler 21st Apr 2019 10:52 pm

Thanks for the photos. It's always interesting to see events outside one's area to consider whether your local junk lives up to national averages :-)

David

high_vacuum_house 21st Apr 2019 10:56 pm

A brilliant little event with going round the computer museum added in made an excellent day out. Hope it could eventually become an annual event. I got the smoking Philips storage oscilloscope for £2 and mended it in the garden this evening. Just a Rifa capacitor across the mains expiring!! Seems to work ok. Not bad for £2!! Also came away with 5 small round oscilloscope CRT’s and some 10 turn pots.
Many thanks to all those who made it happen.
Christopher Capener

Herald1360 21st Apr 2019 11:04 pm

I popped over too- sorry to miss Jeremy and Jeffrey- maybe 'cos I didn't turn up till 10:30.....

Came away with a few goodies- a slightly sorry for itself EKCO Festival (I've wanted one for quite a while), a few old 2N3055s on heatsinks, a bundle of the little Mullard booklets and an interesting Mazda prewar one, a nice box containing some seriously obscure light bulbs (24V MES bulbs in custom rubber and perspex holders) and a Russian vibrating reed mains frequency meter that just appealed to me. It just has to go on the wall by the disboard in the workshop!

I'm now up to speed on the Heath Robinson machine and its similarities with the Colossus paper tape reader after an interesting chat with one Mr. Gubbins (what an appropriate name, I thought).

Pamphonica 23rd Apr 2019 3:10 pm

Well, Jeffrey and I, plus our respective partners, enjoyed a good little event. I came away with an Avo 8 mk6, actually fully working as it turned out that someone had been inside and disconnected some leads, for £1. Also some Weller mains irons with stands for our radio club at £1 each. And could not resist, as an old BT hand, a c. 1983 “Ratebook”, complete. Some of you will know it only too well. The complete stores catalogue.
I suggested to the organisers that next time, punters should circulate outside the tables, not inside, which produced a serious crush!
TNMOC donated some radios at the end to be sold on the NVCF Bring and buy. Thanks chaps.
Nice to see Sean, Christopher and others there.
- Jeremy

m0cemdave 25th Apr 2019 7:44 pm

I have just been advised that the sale raised nearly £800 for the computer museum.

Many thanks to all who attended, and for the comments on here.

andrewferguson 28th Apr 2019 10:08 pm

Apologies if this was in one of the photos (I didn't see it) but I'm curious to know how much the tape recorders were priced at (the Ferrograph Y5 and the Brenell).

Pamphonica 28th Apr 2019 11:14 pm

From memory about £80 to £100 each.
Dave can you help out here?

m0cemdave 29th Apr 2019 12:26 am

Yes, I've sent Andrew a PM.