UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Rank Arena 2000GT with a B55 (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=171600)

ChrisChilton 1st Oct 2020 9:50 pm

Rank Arena 2000GT with a B55

1 Attachment(s)
I picked this up today and it’s ****** marvellous...apart from the fact that the sound is really crackly and low volume through one of the ports but the other is a cracker!

Should I try a little contact cleaner initially?

Radio Wrangler 1st Oct 2020 10:03 pm

Re: Rank Arena 2000GT with a B55

And a Lenco turntable unit by the looks.

Try switch cleaner in the pots to start with. Operate all the switches and buttons several times as well. It's got a bit of neglect to catch up on.

David

ChrisChilton 1st Oct 2020 10:41 pm

It’s a Lenco B55 and only cost me £20.

ronbryan 1st Oct 2020 11:31 pm

It is quite likely that the low volume problem will be with the blue Philips electrolytic coupling and emitter bypass capacitors in the amplifier having low capacitance. It is a well-known fault with this model. I think they are 100uF.

Ron

ChrisChilton 1st Oct 2020 11:33 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronbryan (Post 1294650)
It is quite likely that the low volume problem will be with the blue Philips electrolytic coupling capacitors in the amplifier having low capacitance. It is a well-known fault with this model. I think they are 100uF.

Ron

It’s just in the one port though.

I was really hoping to not have to take this one apart.

Techman 1st Oct 2020 11:39 pm

I agree that it's likely to be a component fault on one of these. I did an Arena amplifier a while ago and from memory I had to replace two electrolytic capacitors and the bad crackle was caused by a solder joint that looked like it hadn't been soldered properly from new - took some finding!

ChrisChilton 1st Oct 2020 11:44 pm

How easy was it to get into?

It works well Mono. ��

Techman 1st Oct 2020 11:46 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisChilton (Post 1294655)
How easy was it to get into?

It was the separate amplifier version, not the one with the deck.

ronbryan 2nd Oct 2020 9:24 am

1 Attachment(s)
Correction to my post #4 - The coupling capacitors in the AF amplifier are 10uF, the emitter bypass caps are 100uF.

The manual is quite helpful as it gives details of several test parameters for each channel - e.g. insert 120mV rms 1kHz sinewave into the tape input, measure 6.9V rms across 3.2 ohm load applied to speaker outputs. You can do this test initially without dismantling.

Ron

ChrisChilton 2nd Oct 2020 9:29 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronbryan (Post 1294714)
Correction to my post #4 - The coupling capacitors in the AF amplifier are 10uF, the emitter bypass caps are 100uF.

The manual is quite helpful as it gives details of several test parameters for each channel - e.g. insert 120mV rms 1kHz sinewave into the tape input, measure 6.9V rms across 3.2 ohm load applied to speaker outputs. You can do this test initially without dismantling.

Ron
Ron

Thanks, now please talk to me like I’m an idiot.

ronbryan 2nd Oct 2020 9:35 am

I've attached an extract from the manual (post #9) showing the audio printed circuit board. Probably you should try to see if a local Forum member can help you fix it, unless you make trips to Guildford.

Ron

ChrisChilton 2nd Oct 2020 9:40 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronbryan (Post 1294718)
I've attached an extract from the manual (post #9) showing the audio printed circuit board. Probably you should try to see if a local Forum member can help you fix it, unless you make trips to Guildford.

Ron

Thanks Ron, sadly I don’t live closer to you.

Edward Huggins 2nd Oct 2020 3:43 pm

This is really worth fixing. You've got it almost for free anyway, and if you're not confident to tackle this, why not ask a West Midlands Member to assist. And wherein you will not get ripped off. I'm aware of the Lockdown issues, but it may well be worth your wait. This will give a super sound when matched to efficient speakers.

ChrisChilton 2nd Oct 2020 5:09 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Huggins (Post 1294862)
This is really worth fixing. You've got it almost for free anyway, and if you're not confident to tackle this, why not get a West Midlands Member to assist. And wherein you will not get ripped off. I'm aware of the Lockdown issues, but it may well be worth your wait. This will give a super sound when matched to efficient speakers.

Thanks Edward, is there an easy way to find people who are willing to help locally on this forum?

Edward Huggins 2nd Oct 2020 5:15 pm

Yes, it's easy. Just Post in "Repair and Restoration Services Wanted" from the Landing Page above on this Site.

ChrisChilton 2nd Oct 2020 10:24 pm

Happy to try myself if it’s doable but I’ve also posted to the other section.

ChrisChilton 3rd Oct 2020 10:22 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronbryan (Post 1294718)

Ron

I’m going to have a proper look at it tomorrow, I haven’t had chance to yet but I do know that it’s fairly decent with only one speaker so it could be great.

ChrisChilton 4th Oct 2020 9:32 pm

Yes, it’s definitely an issue with one of the channels, it’s a real shame because the one that works sounds great.