UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Amateur and Military Radio (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Ropex Active Antenna (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=145738)

Jolly 7 16th Apr 2018 2:46 pm

Ropex Active Antenna

1 Attachment(s)
Here is an active HF antenna that came without a power supply. The text printed on it says both shortwave and from 20 kHz to 160 MHz, which seems quite impressive. However, I have only tested it for MW and SW listening, using a homebuilt 12V power supply. Does anyone have experience of using this antenna and maybe a power supply to share a picture of ? It would be nice to know a little more about this antenna. It does seem quite sensitive, but background electrical noise is marring reception at times, even when mounted outdoors.

Jon_G4MDC 16th Apr 2018 7:32 pm

Re: Ropex Active Antenna

It is a puzzle - never seen one like it.
Suspect it could be some sort of vertical whip with an active preamp below.
It will do what it does.

I would probably put it on a non conducting pole, fed by coax with some kind of choke in the feed cable. (Noise isolation from below)

If it is good - enjoy. If not then increment last letter X>Y.

Please let us know how you get on.

Jolly 7 16th Apr 2018 9:59 pm

I am using RG58 coax cable. Guess I will make a ferrite ring choke to try filter out some of the RFI. With the dry weather round the corner this is a good time to experiment with non waterproofed components, although propagation conditions for MW may have passed their peak with the arrival of spring.

HamishBoxer 17th Apr 2018 7:55 am

The only Ropex I found on Google was a 136Khz tx from 1999.

G8HQP Dave 17th Apr 2018 10:28 am

More pictures might help someone identify it. It could be a 'badge-engineered' item more commonly known under a different brand.

G3VKM_Roger 17th Apr 2018 12:33 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by HamishBoxer (Post 1035810)
The only Ropex I found on Google was a 136Khz tx from 1999.

Beat me to it! I think I saw one or two of these antennas in use on small craft back in my seagoing days. Wasn't the TX made in Holland?

Cheers

Roger

Jolly 7 17th Apr 2018 2:35 pm

2 Attachment(s)
Some more pictures.....

G8HQP Dave 17th Apr 2018 3:36 pm

Results of my Googling:
Ropex are (or were?) Dutch, but there seems to be almost nothing about them on the web. I found a French radio amateur asking for info on the DX-100 antenna some years ago - with no apparent answer. You could try asking Nevada, who sold their 136kHz transmitter in the UK.

dsergeant 17th Apr 2018 5:57 pm

Probably a commercial version of the PA0RDT whip antenna since that originated from Holland. Do a Google. And yes, I am aware of the Ropex 136kHz rig so probably the same firm.

HamishBoxer 17th Apr 2018 7:57 pm

No Roger,I do not know if indeed it was made in Holland.Think it was by a "G" call sign.