UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Components and Circuits (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Look what I found... (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=159546)

Guest 6th Sep 2019 1:59 pm

Look what I found...

1 Attachment(s)
At work, do I keep it in it's unopened packet or build a radio? Date 8001 type RS141!

Electronpusher0 6th Sep 2019 2:04 pm

Re: Look what I found...

I'm not a fan of keeping things like that un-opened, its meant to be used, build a radio!

Peter

ionburn 6th Sep 2019 2:11 pm

I suspect it would be worth selling on other sites, having an RS pedigree, and having seen a bit of demand for these here and there.

There are many such gems around, and I don't see good reason for keeping most of them, unless you intend to make use. I agree with Peter.

MrBungle 6th Sep 2019 2:57 pm

Thoroughly replaced with the TA7642 at £0.04 a piece from China now.

However it's TO-18, got gold legs and that warm fuzzy feeling so I'd build a radio with it too!

GrimJosef 6th Sep 2019 3:01 pm

You could sell it, use half of what you get to buy the bits for a better radio and the other half for fun ;) !

Cheers,

GJ

Radio Wrangler 6th Sep 2019 3:03 pm

I'd keep it unopened.

1) It's rarer in that state. Most got opened and used. Won't have been kept, they'll be landfill.
2) They make rather 'orrible radios anyway.

David

nutteronthebus 6th Sep 2019 3:28 pm

My Dad worked at Ferranti's and got a pre production one of these when I was around 12 years old ( 50 years ago ) built my first radio using this type of chip ( wish I still had it ) not a great radio but as a first one lovely memorys

AC/HL 6th Sep 2019 3:34 pm

A crystal set on steroids.

G6Tanuki 6th Sep 2019 3:37 pm

I'd say make a radio with it - not that there's much worth listening-to on MW any more.

[I once used a ZN414 at 455KHz to convert a FM-only Pye Westminster to receive AM on 70.26/70.45MHz]

Maarten 9th Sep 2019 2:02 am

If you ask me, it's worth more outside a radio. Both in monetary and 'fun to own' value, though the use as IF detector sounds interesting.

Bill 9th Sep 2019 8:39 pm

That might be one I made in nineteen mumble mumble. They used CDI technology and were quite exciting at the time. There were other useful items such as a timer chip that just needed a series resistor off the mains to power it, would drive a relay and could have timing periods from milliseconds to days, defined by the value of a capacitor. Alas, where all this tech was made is now a housing estate.