UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Computers (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Non-working Commodore PET 3016 (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=174829)

ScottishColin 29th Apr 2021 11:24 am

Re: Non-working Commodore PET 3016

Here's a .PNG of the labels in case anyone ever wants them.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OpO...ew?usp=sharing

Colin.

ScottishColin 29th Apr 2021 11:29 am

Thank you. As a bit of a first-timer in all of this (and with plenty of time on my hands), I've tried to keep as much as I can.

I did count and have replaced 17 chips and added 18 sockets though.

The large front label is showing signs of wear and tear, paint splashes from somewhere and a bit of rust dribbling down it, but my plan is to mask it up and leave that on there if I can.

As my wife said yesterday, this has been a good lock-down project for me.

Colin.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slothie (Post 1369155)
I appreciate the care you are taking to preserve the history of this machine by retaining as many of its original features. Too many retro restorations I have seen erase the marks of use over the years and return something that looks brand new but is not quite "right". It's a difficult balance, how much do you repair and how much do you leave? But I think that repainting the case in this machine is a good move given that the rust is so severe. If the existing front label can be preserved then that will be good too, as I imagine getting an authentic replacement that doesn't look odd will be hard, and presuming it is still OK then any minor scuffs are just "patina" :)

ajgriff 29th Apr 2021 11:46 am

Securely refixing labels that have been removed by peeling can sometimes (not always) be tricky especially at the corners as the the original glue can lose its stickiness. If this proves to be a problem its worth using double sided carpet tape suitably trimmed with a sharp craft knife and metal rule.

I'm very much looking forward to seeing photos of the finished machine.

Alan

SiriusHardware 29th Apr 2021 5:33 pm

Quote:

I think that repainting the case in this machine is a good move given that the rust is so severe.
I have to agree, lack of action / poor storage by the previous owner has basically narrowed the choices to 'live and let rust' or 'tackle the rust', with all that that implies. I have to say that what with all the electronic problems the machine turned out to have and now the poor physical condition of the unit, Colin could hardly have chosen a tougher first retro-computer project. It's very admirable that he just keeps battling so relentlessly onwards.

Slothie 29th Apr 2021 5:57 pm

I'm astonished with the number of ICs that have needed replacing. I'm inclined to believe somehow the +5v got overvoltaged and took them out. It's not hard to do, only takes a stray screw or bit of wire in the power supply area....

ScottishColin 29th Apr 2021 8:57 pm

Wait. You mean all projects aren't like this?

Colin.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SiriusHardware (Post 1369288)
Quote:

I think that repainting the case in this machine is a good move given that the rust is so severe.
I have to agree, lack of action / poor storage by the previous owner has basically narrowed the choices to 'live and let rust' or 'tackle the rust', with all that that implies. I have to say that what with all the electronic problems the machine turned out to have and now the poor physical condition of the unit, Colin could hardly have chosen a tougher first retro-computer project. It's very admirable that he just keeps battling so relentlessly onwards.

SiriusHardware 29th Apr 2021 9:24 pm

Well... No.

Quote:

I'm inclined to believe somehow the +5v got overvoltaged and took them out.
...And yet it somehow missed all of the LSI (big chips), and every single one of the notoriously fragile RAM ICs survived. It's a mystery on par with the Marie Celeste, The Princes In The Tower, and the Even Number Of Socks In / Odd Number Of Socks Out puzzle.

In most cases you would be looking at one or two devices failed and maybe a bit of cosmetic damage to repair - I doubt that you will ever tackle another one as difficult as this.

Timbucus 29th Apr 2021 10:15 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SiriusHardware (Post 1369386)
Well... No.

Quote:

I'm inclined to believe somehow the +5v got overvoltaged and took them out.
...And yet it somehow missed all of the LSI (big chips), and every single one of the notoriously fragile RAM ICs survived. It's a mystery on par with the Marie Celeste, The Princes In The Tower, and the Even Number Of Socks In / Odd Number Of Socks Out puzzle.

In most cases you would be looking at one or two devices failed and maybe a bit of cosmetic damage to repair - I doubt that you will ever tackle another one as difficult as this.

Now you just had to go and say that didn't you just as I start a major restoration project - even if Colin never goes through it again...

ScottishColin 3rd May 2021 5:12 pm

1 Attachment(s)
OK - all back together and worked first time. I have yet to put the silver stickers back on but I will soon and I'll post some pictures.

Here's some before and after photos of the inside and outside. I can still see the postcode and the KCFE (Kendall College of Further Education) 'engravings' and I'm fine with that. I wasn't after a perfect restoration back to how it came out of the factory - I just wanted to show it a bit of love.

I'll post a couple more times on this thread with the summary and then I think we're done.

Colin.

Refugee 3rd May 2021 5:23 pm

Don't say you are done.
It will most likely bight back with another fault if you do that.

ajgriff 3rd May 2021 5:31 pm

A very pleasing outcome. The off-white looks about right too. Well done indeed!

Alan

ScottishColin 3rd May 2021 5:42 pm

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks - it's so much brighter than the colour I got it, but I think it's pretty much what I remember.

fyi I used Halfords Gloss Black for the base and Halfords Peugeot Bianca White for the case.

I managed to keep the QC stams as well inside the case (not that anyone will ever see them) by judicious use of masking tape.

Colin.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajgriff (Post 1370531)
A very pleasing outcome. The off-white looks about right too. Well done indeed!

Alan

SiriusHardware 3rd May 2021 5:43 pm

Wow, superb improvement, you have really done the machine proud. It must have been the luckiest day of that machine's life when it found you, Colin.

ScottishColin 3rd May 2021 5:53 pm

I have just noticed I have mounted the transformer 180 degrees the wrong way round....

Colin.

Timbucus 3rd May 2021 7:24 pm

Amazing restoration job - I just have to say I have learnt a lot so thanks for sharing the journey with us.

Now though I will have to work harder on the project I am working on... I must start a thread as I had a breakthrough today!

Buzby123 3rd May 2021 10:37 pm

Another big PET job ahead ?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1233645553343772

Timbucus 3rd May 2021 10:41 pm

I just noticed that and was going to tag these threads to him - Jim is in the Triton user group on there as well - he is Happy Little Diodes - I am still awaiting his next episode on that machine...

ScottishColin 4th May 2021 1:33 pm

Here's my next problem then.....since I have cleaned up the CRT and its board and put it all back together, while the PET stills works fine, the monitor has acquired a little irritating 'bounce' when powered on.

Has anyone come across this and fixed it?

Thanks.

Colin.

SiriusHardware 4th May 2021 2:21 pm

Look carefully: Is the picture height expanding and contracting slightly, or is the whole picture staying the same height but shifting upwards and downwards by just one or two video lines?

ScottishColin 4th May 2021 2:47 pm

The whole picture is shifting slightly up and down.

Colin.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SiriusHardware (Post 1370922)
Look carefully: Is the picture height expanding and contracting slightly, or is the whole picture staying the same height but shifting upwards and downwards by just one or two video lines?