UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Rees-Mace Loudspeaker Case (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=144090)

John G8MWF 19th Feb 2018 3:47 pm

Rees-Mace Loudspeaker Case

3 Attachment(s)
I just purchased one of these the Audio Jumble this weekend.

As you can see from the pictures it is painted in what looks like thick white Artex which is peeling.

there are a number of questions that I would like to find answers to if possible!

1. Did they supply these painted from the factory. I suspect that they didn't and although the paint is now peeling it looks like it was a professional job.

2. I have removed some of the flaking paint and tried to polish it with No5 paste but the Bakelite still has a grainy finish to it. (see picture of volume control knob for close up)
Is this normal for the Rees-Mace? or is it possibly damage caused by the paint process?

3. Is there anyway of dating this item? The Radio Museum entry is '1935?'

4. The next step is to use Nitromors to remove the remaining white paint and then either polish the cabinet or re-paint it again depending on what I learn about this item.

Thanks for your help.

John

The

John M0GLN 20th Feb 2018 7:57 am

Re: Rees-Mace Loudspeaker Case

My Rees Mace speaker is exactly as shown on 'The Radiomuseum' web page, the dark brown one,

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/rees_mace_speaker.html

a glossy mottled/walnut/tortoiseshell finish? ( I don't know the correct name ), if they are from the mid '30s would they have painted them? I wouldn't think so, wasn't everything brown in that era? Mine came without the original speaker.

John

John G8MWF 20th Feb 2018 1:51 pm

1 Attachment(s)
I think the best comparison is to the case of a DAC90A - this case is not as smooth as the DAC90A and the enclosed picture of the volume control knob gives the best example of this. How does this compare to your case?

My current thought is that the Bakelite of 1935 wasn't as refined or its paint job on the past has given rise to this surface.
Hopefully I will get a chance to look at another one and compare them.

Nickthedentist 20th Feb 2018 2:28 pm

I wonder whether it has been grit-blasted (or similar) by someone to help the paint adhere?

I've read here that some manufacturers would paint their less-than-perfect Bakelite cabinets, so by definition, if you find a tatty one and strip it, it will look disappointing compared with its siblings which left the factory plain.

N.

John M0GLN 20th Feb 2018 3:00 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by John G8MWF (Post 1018944)
I think the best comparison is to the case of a DAC90A - this case is not as smooth as the DAC90A and the enclosed picture of the volume control knob gives the best example of this. How does this compare to your case?

I've just held a piece of paper with normal size typing, about 12 - 14 point, in front of the case and I could read it if it wasn't back to front, it's good, just like a new DAC90A.
Nick could be right with the grit blasting suggestion.

John

John G8MWF 20th Feb 2018 3:15 pm

It is beginning to look like a factory paint job to use a less than perfect case.
The normal tell tale signs of home painting just aren't there and the internal screws are still locked in place with bright yellow paint.

Whatever happens this paint has to come off and then it will be decision time on what to do next.

I will be looking for another one of these as I think they look the part.
Does anyone know what sort of money that they sell for?

John M0GLN 20th Feb 2018 5:09 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by John G8MWF (Post 1018965)
I will be looking for another one of these as I think they look the part.
Does anyone know what sort of money that they sell for?

I can't remember as it must be at least 10 years since I bought mine but I don't think I would have paid over £10, probably more likely £5?

John