UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Pye type trimmer tool (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=166737)

jonnybear 12th May 2020 7:37 pm

Pye type trimmer tool

3 Attachment(s)
May be of interest, I was looking to make up a trimmer tool for realignment of a Pye radio,I saw Wife's empty Parker refill in recycling and had an idea, I pulled off the end which houses the ball, washed it through with thinners to remove any ink residue, then just squeezed the end to fit, finally covered in shrink sleeve job done, will last forever or until lost.
John

ajgriff 13th May 2020 8:14 am

Re: Pye type trimmer tool

An ingenious example of creative reuse at its best.

Alan

M0TGX Terry 13th May 2020 9:50 am

An ingenious and well-executed recycling/upcycling project, but isn't the main reason that alignment tools are normally made of plastic to avoid 'hand capacitance' effects that would occur with metal tools? Or am I wrong (again)?

ajgriff 13th May 2020 10:27 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by M0TGX Terry (Post 1246427)
...... but isn't the main reason that alignment tools are normally made of plastic to avoid 'hand capacitance' effects that would occur with metal tools? Or am I wrong (again)?

I don't think you are wrong but I guess that's the reason for the sleeving. I have an old RS branded trimmer tool which has metal blades sleeved in plastic. Much stronger and more positive in use than the 100% plastic versions.

Alan

jonnybear 13th May 2020 1:55 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by M0TGX Terry (Post 1246427)
An ingenious and well-executed recycling/upcycling project, but isn't the main reason that alignment tools are normally made of plastic to avoid 'hand capacitance' effects that would occur with metal tools? Or am I wrong (again)?

Hexagonal and some blade trimming tools are plastic/nylon as they enter in to the core of the transformer to tune, in this case the cores are connected with a brass screw which is external to the transformer so will not affect tuning. the sleeving is to avoid touching other components and causing short circuit damage.
John

M0TGX Terry 13th May 2020 8:35 pm

Thanks for the additional info. I shall now make myself one and have a go at a Mullard MAS82 which needs the IFTs peaking before returning it to its owner.. The wax holding these is quite stiff and my all-plastic adjusting tool just twisted without moving the cores.

Andrew2 13th May 2020 10:50 pm

Terry, I'd be very careful if the cores are that stiff, you could end up with a cracked/jammed core.
May I suggest a gentle heating with a hairdrier before you tackle them?

M0TGX Terry 14th May 2020 1:51 am

Thanks Andy. I have managed to soften the wax by gentle heating with a hair drier as you suggest, and got them to turn a little. They're still reluctant to move and I don't want them to break so I'll try a bit more heat tomorrow. This particular set has been a right pain to sort out so the last thing I need now is busted/jammed IFT cores.