UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Shielding material other than pcb (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=163202)

Terry_VK5TM 23rd Jan 2020 2:40 am

Shielding material other than pcb

Rather than hijack Wendys post about the poor quality pcb material she was using for screening, I use tin that is recovered from 4L cooking oil containers.

At least one brand Downunder comes in comes in tins roughly 5" square and about a foot high, with completely smooth sides, rounded corners and a single joining seam in one side.

Yes, a little bit of messing about cleaning them, but easily done with a bit of dishwashing detergent and hot water (before you cut it up ;)).

Bit of flux and a hot iron does the job easy enough.

joebog1 23rd Jan 2020 2:48 am

Re: Shielding material other than pcb

Another thing using steel tins is that steel cans screen magnetically as well as electrostatically. Its very easy to bend into shape and can be cut with industrial scissors rather than a clunking great pair of tinsnips. If one is really fussy and doesnt like the pictures and ink on the can, it's easilly obtainable from hobby stores that cater for model aircraft and model steam.

Joe

Bazz4CQJ 23rd Jan 2020 2:51 am

A friend of mine, who passed on long ago, was a wonderful tin smith. Long before the days of diecast boxes, I suspect that any self-respecting radio technician regarded the ability to make a neat tin box as a basic skill!

B

Terry_VK5TM 23rd Jan 2020 12:20 pm

I used to be able to do it a loooooong time ago, but then we got spoiled for choice and could buy them of the shelf.

Of course the wheel has turned full circle and you can't just walk into a shop and get them of the shelf anymore, but I don't know if I could make them now (and yes I know you can get them off the 'net).

Kentode 23rd Jan 2020 1:44 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bazz4CQJ (Post 1210365)
A friend of mine, who passed on long ago, was a wonderful tin smith. Long before the days of diecast boxes, I suspect that any self-respecting radio technician regarded the ability to make a neat tin box as a basic skill!

B

It was the first thing I learned in metalwork class aged eleven! Tinsnips, two pieces of wood in a vice and a hide mallet to form the sides then flux and a soldering iron fresh off the forge.

God bless you Mr Topp, you were brilliant!

Julesomega 23rd Jan 2020 5:51 pm

Indian restaurants get their oil in 20 litre cylindrical cans. One by us always has a few empties standing out the back - I think thy are quite pleased if one blows away in the wind ;)

G6Tanuki 23rd Jan 2020 6:00 pm

In the past, I built a 'naughty' shortwave transmitter into a pair of gallon-size Castrol GTX oil-cans. The metal was rather flimsy so I used some wooden battens to reinforce the area round the modulation-transformer.

And I have to mention the Heath "Cantenna" RF dummy-load built into a paint-can.

One 'screening material' worthy of mention is the self-adhesive copper strip used by modelmakers who want to 'fake' stained-glass windows. Something similar is available from garden-centres, where it's sold as 'copper slug-barrier' [apparently the mucilaginous molluscs dislike crawling across copper].

If you want a ventilated screened enclosure [for exampe to house a valve PA stage or a VFO] then places like Halfords and B&Q sell perforated-stainless-steel mesh sheets.

MrBungle 23rd Jan 2020 6:34 pm

I use Heinz baked bean tins. Cut with the MrsBungle’s kitchen scissors. They solder really easy.

Terry_VK5TM 24th Jan 2020 12:19 am

You must have different cans than us, ours all have ridges up the sides which make them a nightmare for bending plus they have that horrible white plasticky lining.

MrBungle 24th Jan 2020 9:27 am

I keep the ridges.

The plastic lining isn’t on the outside :)

If I want it to look good I use brass shim but that’s rarely a requirement.

Electronpusher0 24th Jan 2020 11:37 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBungle (Post 1210523)
I use Heinz baked bean tins. Cut with the MrsBungle’s kitchen scissors. They solder really easy.

I hope Mrs Bungle doesn't read the forum or you may need to fabricate a tin hat in a hurry.

Peter

Ambientnoise 24th Jan 2020 12:36 pm

Use classic biscuit or sweet tins ! Roomy and you get to eat the contents first. Beware the modern abomination of plastic ones.

Ken

FrankB 26th Jan 2020 10:35 am

I have used inverted baking pans as chassis ( and shields),and salvaged copper window screen for shielding.
In a pinch, one can make shielding from the protectors used on screen or storm doors.
(I had to make a replacement HV cage for a TV set out of the storm door protector. Worked fine.) I have even seen a magazine article on 1/4" screen mesh being made into a chassis!

Guest 26th Jan 2020 2:28 pm

Quote:

Use classic biscuit or sweet tins !
Some have annoying relief work pressed in the lid.

For class work brass shim is brilliant (in both senses of the word), not too expensive either.

Al (astral highway) 30th Jan 2020 6:01 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by merlinmaxwell (Post 1211354)

For class work brass shim is brilliant (in both senses of the word), not too expensive either.

I love brass shim . I bought some antique stuff , beautiful , the other day

ajs37 13th Feb 2020 8:27 pm

I used my Dad's old pipe tobacco tins as project boxes - they were great! Still got some Golden Virginia boxes somewhere (from when I used to smoke). I have used all sorts of time for shielding in radios - works a treat!