UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   Vintage Dimplex Wall hanging bathroom radiator (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=175152)

tedzwedz 10th Jan 2021 11:00 pm

Vintage Dimplex Wall hanging bathroom radiator

3 Attachment(s)
Hi

HNY

I have this Dimplex radiator in my bathroom, still going strong BUT the cable has now snapped, any ideas? It was put in early 1980s I think so is one of the more modern ones (I think they started in the 60's)

At the top of the string there is a plastic bit which goes into the pull switch, this has snapped off just outside the switch but is very short (and I suspect brittle). Sadly I don't think gluing it back on is an option.

I have taken the cover off the radiator, the switch is called a Nettle 250w 10Amp switch. there are two inputs and 2 outputs

Anyone know if I can get a replacement OR a modern replacement? There is a bit of space in the case if another shape is needed etc which is good.

Cheers guys!

Techman 10th Jan 2021 11:32 pm

Re: Vintage Dimplex Wall hanging bathroom radiator

The plastic bit that the pull cord connects to on my bathroom heater went brittle and snapped off years ago. I just set it to permanently on at the heater switch and switch it on and off at the isolator which is up on the wall outside the bathroom. I never bothered to see if replacements were available, but someone might know. You could probably make the part if you wanted a bit of a challenge.

tedzwedz 10th Jan 2021 11:40 pm

That's an interesting way of doing it I guess! I presume if I get pliers I can pull it down again hopefully just enough to turn on.

Trouble is my switch is in the water pump cupboard so not very accessible!

Techman 11th Jan 2021 12:11 am

Yes, you should be able to pull the stub with care, although it'll obviously be brittle and may break even shorter.

Shame the isolator fuse switch is in that cupboard, but it might just get you by while you look for a replacement part.

broadgage 11th Jan 2021 12:32 am

Either bypass the built in switch, or set it to permanently on. Fit a new switch, of the pull cord variety near the heater.

Skywave 11th Jan 2021 12:56 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by broadgage (Post 1329446)
Fit a new switch of the pull-cord variety near the heater.

That is the route I would take, but I would certainly check that the current rating of that new switch is adequate for the current drawn by that heater.

Al.

Herald1360 11th Jan 2021 12:46 pm

One rated for an electric shower should be suitable!

tedzwedz 11th Jan 2021 1:19 pm

3 Attachment(s)
I've opened it up fully and got it hanging on a handy hook below.

Could I insert a wall switch here on the left where the power cable comes in off the wall similar to the one at the other end in the water cupboard (shown)?

Best Edward

tedzwedz 11th Jan 2021 1:56 pm

Thanks for all your messages BTW!

Herald1360 11th Jan 2021 2:19 pm

You could do as you suggest, but I don't think it would be acceptable in a bathroom to have an "ordinary" switch, at least not in the UK.

Nothing to stop you from mounting a ceiling pull cord shower switch and routing the connection to the heater via said switch, though.....

Something like this:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/british-g...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

with one of these:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/british-g...mm-white/83819

(Other makes/types/sources are available)

broadgage 11th Jan 2021 2:26 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skywave (Post 1329456)
Quote:

That is the route I would take, but I would certainly check that the current rating of that new switch is adequate for the current drawn by that heater.

Al.

Yes, but pull cord switches are generaly rated for a minimum of 5 amps for older types and 6 amps for newer production. I have never seen one for less.
These heaters are typically 750 watts, so just over 3 amps.

tedzwedz 11th Jan 2021 3:06 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Herald1360 (Post 1329580)
You could do as you suggest, but I don't think it would be acceptable in a bathroom to have an "ordinary" switch, at least not in the UK.

Nothing to stop you from mounting a ceiling pull cord shower switch and routing the connection to the heater via said switch, though.....

Something like this:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/british-g...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

with one of these:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/british-g...mm-white/83819

(Other makes/types/sources are available)

Thank you, good idea, I could put this between the wall and heater.

tedzwedz 11th Jan 2021 3:07 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by broadgage (Post 1329583)
Quote:

Quote:

Al.

Yes, but pull cord switches are generaly rated for a minimum of 5 amps for older types and 6 amps for newer production. I have never seen one for less.

Thank you for this, why is the internal Nettle switch 10amp out of interest, seems way over!?

G6Tanuki 11th Jan 2021 3:11 pm

You can get pull-switches rated at 45-50A - they're used as electric shower isolators.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/mk-50a-1-...ch-white/12094

I think that would be a more-sensible option than a 'lighting' pull-switch; though the heater may only be rated at 750W I guess that will be its output when hot. When the element is cold it could suck a few more Amps than the 3 it will take once hot.

emeritus 11th Jan 2021 3:38 pm

I don't think the resistance of the wire used in this type of radiator changes significantly with temperature. It would be different if it were a high power tungsten lamp, which would draw a much higher current on switch-on.

60 oldjohn 11th Jan 2021 3:54 pm

Have you tried Espares? https://www.espares.co.uk/search/at1...eaters/dimplex they sell to the general public. The plastic "see saw" switch part attached to the string pull broke in our Dimplex wall fan heater I bought one and a spare. No connection just a happy customer.
Looks like they have gone up in price since I ordered a spare.
John.

Humber888 11th Jan 2021 4:55 pm

This thread prompted me to look at the model number of the Dimplex heater in our bathroom and see if a replacement heating element can still be had - just in case. It is an IRD 750 and it seems a compatible element is still available. The pull switch still works well.

tedzwedz 11th Jan 2021 5:11 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 60 oldjohn (Post 1329618)
Have you tried Espares? https://www.espares.co.uk/search/at1...eaters/dimplex they sell to the general public. The plastic "see saw" switch part attached to the string pull broke in our Dimplex wall fan heater I bought one and a spare. No connection just a happy customer.
Looks like they have gone up in price since I ordered a spare.
John.

Thank you, crikey they are expensive though!

Herald1360 11th Jan 2021 6:26 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by broadgage (Post 1329583)
Quote:

Quote:

Al.

Isn't there confusion between maximum and minimum here? There are switches with minimum current ratings but this normally relates to their being unsuitable for reliable switching on of low level signal currents. I've never heard of light switches with a minimum current rating.

turretslug 12th Jan 2021 12:35 am

I assume that broadgage meant that 5 amps was the minimum maximum current rating seen in pull switches- if that's not confusing the issue further!

Re. the "cold" current question, surely a given amps "running" of filament bulbs would have a proportionately lower cold resistance than the same running amps of heater anyway, i.e. if the switch was rated for x amps of light-switching, it would have an easier life when used to switch the same amps of heater. Admittedly, the heater would have a slower warm-up but it would only be a handful of seconds anyway from that higher cold resistance.