UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Television and Video (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Dynatron (Ekco?) Mains Connector wanted (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11337)

Kat Manton 19th Sep 2006 4:39 pm

Dynatron (Ekco?) Mains Connector wanted

1 Attachment(s)
Hi,

The set in question is a late fifties Dynatron TV30CK, using an Ekco chassis so I presume Ekco sets used the same connector.

It looked at first glance (in the dark while it was being loaded into a car) like a 5A 2-pin plug but on closer inspection turned out to have different size pins.

The larger pin and the spacing between them is similar to 5A 2-pin, though.

Anyone got a line socket to fit this knocking around in their junk box? It'd beat croc-clips and bits of rubber tube... 8-o (Only joking...)

I've never seen one but I believe they're designed so the connector must be removed before the back can be taken off, so I'm guessing it has a flange.

Regards, Kat

Dave Moll 19th Sep 2006 5:16 pm

Re: Dynatron (Ekco?) Mains Connector Wanted

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kat Manton (Post 79451)
It looked at first glance (in the dark while it was being loaded into a car) like a 5A 2-pin plug but on closer inspection turned out to have different size pins.

The larger pin and the spacing between them is similar to 5A 2-pin, though.

Are they sufficiently similar to use a 5A 2-pin socket with a collar inserted into one hole to bring it down to the size of the thinner pin?

jim_beacon 19th Sep 2006 5:45 pm

Hi Kat,

they were also used on a lot of Pye and Eddystone professional kit in the 60's - not much help, but it may help you to find one elsewhere (I only have one, it gets cycled around several sets).

Jim.

Kat Manton 19th Sep 2006 6:02 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Andy,

Quote:

Originally Posted by beery (Post 79464)
if you can get a Bulgin branded 5A connector...

...like this one?

Mikey405 19th Sep 2006 8:39 pm

Hi Kat.

I think I may have a spare one of these weird plugs (sockets?). Send me a PM with a mailing address and I'll go and have a poke around in my loft.

Thanks Kat.

From Mike.

Mikey405 20th Sep 2006 5:33 pm

Hi Kat.

I posted you a plug (socket?) at lunch time today, so you should get it tomorrow courtesy of our excellent Royal Mail.

Bye Kat.

Mike.

Kat Manton 20th Sep 2006 6:24 pm

Hi,
It looks like Mike's come up with a complete connector; since these seem tricky to get maybe someone else has a greater need than I...
Thanks very much :)

(Hmm... 'socket', I think... line socket to be precise; to me sockets have 'oles and plugs have pins. )

I'm currently cleaning up the TV chassis prior to a capacitor replacement session; being able to connect mains will doubtless spur me on.

Cheers, Kat