UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   Morphy Richards fan heater. (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=138909)

terrybull 11th Aug 2017 4:56 pm

Morphy Richards fan heater.

1 Attachment(s)
I have just acquired this (my thanks to forum member Diane Davies). Quick check and plugged it in. Works a treat and in remarkably good condition for getting on for 60 years old. Paint seems excellent and I suspect all it needs is a thorough clean particularly inside as it looks very very dusty. The flex looks fine but I will investigate it further and change if necessary. The only issue is the cover for the power on neon indicator is missing although the neon is working but very dim. If anyone has one of theses heaters can they post a close up of the neon please so I can try and find something suitable.
It will be used frequently as it fits in with our shabby sheik decor and will take the chill off while the log burner gets going during the cold mornings to come.

Sideband 11th Aug 2017 5:13 pm

Re: Morphy Richards fan heater.

Is it actually supposed to glow red? All the fan heaters (admittedly modern ones) that I've seen are 'black heat' types and the elements only glow if there is something wrong...

paulsherwin 11th Aug 2017 5:22 pm

This model has a red bulb inside for cosmetic effect.

Guest 11th Aug 2017 6:31 pm

Quote:

This model has a red bulb inside for cosmetic effect.
And a bit more heat, can the bulb be run on it's own for effect?

paulsherwin 11th Aug 2017 6:51 pm

I believe so, but I don't own one.

kalee20 11th Aug 2017 7:18 pm

Looks a clone of the HMV Cavendish! Apart from the position of the switches. (The Cavendish is a good heater!)

terrybull 11th Aug 2017 7:33 pm

The fan can run on its own but the red bulb only lights on the two heat settings. If it was glowing like that without a bulb I would be very worried.

terrybull 11th Aug 2017 7:59 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by kalee20 (Post 967065)
Looks a clone of the HMV Cavendish! Apart from the position of the switches. (The Cavendish is a good heater!)

It does seem to be a close copy of the Cavendish. A bit of research says these were manufactured by The Gramophone Company Ltd., England.
Perhaps early badge engineering. It's got rather chilly here tonight and being put to use right now.

robin coleman 11th Aug 2017 9:07 pm

It looks in lovely condition. I have to use a small heater while the open fire sparks up.

Regards, Robin.

Sideband 11th Aug 2017 9:47 pm

Well...a red lamp for effect. Never seen that before. It gives a pleasing warm glow. Very homely!

The Philpott 11th Aug 2017 10:55 pm

I would definitely change the flex as a precautionary. It's done its duty!

Retro look modern spec cable is available i believe.

G6Tanuki 12th Aug 2017 9:39 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Philpott (Post 967166)
Retro look modern spec cable is available i believe.

Depending on the power rating of your heater (and hence its current demand), the cotton-braided 3-core flex still available for use on electric irons might be suitable?

http://www.diy.com/braided-flexible-.../N-8rnZ1z0x4cd

is rated to handle 10A which should serve if your heater's output is 1 or 2 Kilowatts.

I gather that the braid can be dyed if you don't like the default colour!

terrybull 12th Aug 2017 11:18 am

1 Attachment(s)
The cable fitted is cotton covered plain dark brown. Thank you for pointing me to the retro modern cable but I'll probable change it for some standard cable I have 'in stock'.
I've noticed that the back has quite a gap at the top and the contacts of the switches are visible and almost reachable. Don't think there is anything missing but suspicious of the hole. Not up to modern safety standards.

terrybull 12th Aug 2017 12:04 pm

I have also noticed that the fan is situated in front of the heating elements so it pulls air through rather than blowing it through. Were many such heaters like this?

mark_in_manc 13th Aug 2017 5:50 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by terrybull (Post 967015)
It will be used frequently as it fits in with our shabby sheik decor

I like it. When I come out with things like that it is rarely intentional! ;D

dseymo1 13th Aug 2017 5:59 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by terrybull (Post 967282)
I have also noticed that the fan is situated in front of the heating elements so it pulls air through rather than blowing it through. Were many such heaters like this?

The Cavendish blows from behind the elements.
Fitting the fan in front of the elements means that the motor is subjected to hot air, which can't be a good thing.

terrybull 14th Aug 2017 7:26 am

As far as I can see, and this is by peering through the vents as I haven't time to strip it at the moment, the motor is right at the back behind the elements which are arranged in a circular fashion with the fan just in front of them on a longer shaft. The elements are not up and down in front of the fan as I've seen on images of the Cavendish. The arrangement on my example seems a bit odd to me but the motor is not directly in the heat path.

terrybull 14th Aug 2017 7:30 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark_in_manc (Post 967647)
I like it. When I come out with things like that it is rarely intentional! ;D

I'm sure we have all had wife's or partners stating 'don't think you're keeping that in the house'. This got thumbs up.

kalee20 14th Aug 2017 9:34 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by dseymo1 (Post 967653)
The Cavendish blows from behind the elements.
Fitting the fan in front of the elements means that the motor is subjected to hot air, which can't be a good thing.

Not with care, though. Designing a fan heater, with a long shaft, the motor could be in the cool airflow one side of the elements, and the fan itself on the other. There is some merit in doing this if the majority of the airflow can be arranged to not go past the motor at all, because then the bearings don't get bunged up with fluff!

dseymo1 14th Aug 2017 4:37 pm

Good point - I was imagining a reversed version of the standard Cavendish.