UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Fidelity HF45 - record slip during play (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=141350)

Hmn0105 13th Nov 2017 8:10 pm

Fidelity HF45 - record slip during play

3 Attachment(s)
Hi everyone, my daughter has I believe a Fidelity HF45 which has recently started playing with some slippage.

I am going to check the mat under the LP on the deck but if it’s not that what else can I easily check. It looks like a BSR deck. I am fairly practical but have not taken one of these apart before.

Anyone’s advice would be very welcome.

Thank you so much.

'LIVEWIRE?' 14th Nov 2017 10:20 am

Re: Fidelity HF45 - record slip during play

That is a BSR Deck. One of the later Cxxx series by the look of it. I would check that the stylus is correctly seated and not worn or chipped. The front part of the stylus, where the actual 'needle' is, should be located between two rubber 'ears' at the front of the cartridge. The mat is unlikely to be the cause of the problem.

Edward Huggins 14th Nov 2017 11:33 am

It may also be slippage on the Drive (Idler) Wheel to the inside rim of the turntable platter. Remove the circlip from the base of the spindle, ease off the turntable and clean the idler, stepped motor spindle and inner turnable rim wih IPA/Meths.

'LIVEWIRE?' 14th Nov 2017 12:27 pm

Edward, why didn't I think of that? I've serviced enough record players in my time!

Hmn0105 14th Nov 2017 8:03 pm

Many thanks. I changed the stylus and still have some slippage. I’ll check under the turntable later this week when home.

Audio1950 14th Nov 2017 9:40 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Huggins (Post 991159)
clean the idler, stepped motor spindle and inner turnable rim wih IPA/Meths.

Good advice, but isn't the turntable plastic? If it is, won't IPA melt it?

GeoffK 15th Nov 2017 10:24 am

No it is acetone that chemically melts certain plastics.

Audio1950 15th Nov 2017 10:52 am

Thanks Geoff, I never was any good at chemistry!

Hmn0105 19th Nov 2017 6:26 pm

Many thanks. To my ears it sounds fixed. I’ll confirm after my daughter has played a few LP's

AC/HL 19th Nov 2017 11:07 pm

Back when these players were current IT equipment, that was about the sum total of their maintenance, perhaps with the odd stylus replacement.

crackle 21st Nov 2017 9:30 pm

Be aware that if you are playing stacked records, then if any are slightly warped then they can slip against each other.

Mike