UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Websites (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   UK Television Service Manuals on-line? (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=141758)

Pieter H 29th Nov 2017 1:52 pm

UK Television Service Manuals on-line?

Hi all,

What surprises me is that it is so far almost impossible to find on-line Service Manuals of UK television sets. Personally I'm looking especially for Philips/Mullard, but it's valid for all brands as far as I can see.

This in contrast to other countries like Germany (Radiomuseum.org), France (TSF-Radio), Netherlands (NVHR) and Belgium (Frank's pocnet), to mention just a few, there are quite a few more.

So my question: is there anything similar in the UK that I have so far overlooked? Any help much appreciated since I haven't found a single UK TV set after 1956!

Any help or pointers much appreciated!

Cheers, Pieter

Cobaltblue 29th Nov 2017 1:57 pm

Re: UK Television Service Manuals on-line?

Jon has a few at www.thevalvepage.com

The problem is someone has to pay for the webspace and spend hundreds of hours scanning and cleaning original images so others can download for free and no effort. Volunteers?

Cheers

Mike T

Cobaltblue 29th Nov 2017 2:30 pm

Radiomuseum has a lot of circuits so may be a potential source although they have a limited amount of 70's and 80's TV's

Cheers Mike T

Paul Stenning 29th Nov 2017 2:57 pm

One of my new DVD-ROMs will contain a lot of vintage television data, and the manuals will also be available to buy individually at www.service-data.com however this is still at least several months away.

If you need anything specific please message me and I will see if it is already scanned.

ThePillenwerfer 29th Nov 2017 4:04 pm

Several of us has the R&TVS books which, whilst not as good as manufacturer's service data, is better than nothing. If you ask for details for of particular model somebody may scan it for you.

'Practical Television' magazine also used to publish articles about servicing/repairing specific sets but knowing what issue the thing you're interested in, if any, would present a challenge.

Pieter H 2nd Dec 2017 9:50 pm

Hi guys,

thanks for your inputs. Of course I know Radiomuseum (hardly UK sets) and the Valve Page (nothing beyond the 1950s).
The problem is that for tracing back (in my case) the tuner history I want to be able to scan through series of service manuals to see the trends, and only for specific cases need more detailed information. As said, that is available for many countries except the UK.
The positive thing though, is that you confirm these overviews don't exist on-line, so I know I didn't overlook any. I suppose I need to be patient then.

Cheers, Pieter

Paul Stenning 3rd Dec 2017 9:56 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pieter H (Post 996315)
... I want to be able to scan through series of service manuals to see the trends, and only for specific cases need more detailed information.

My new DVD-ROM will be ideal for you when it's released then. Probably middle of next year based on current sorting and scanning progress.

Pieter H 4th Dec 2017 11:46 pm

Hi Paul,

I look forward to it then!
Please let us know when it will be available.
In the meantime I'll try to be patient :)

Cheers, Pieter

Maarten 9th Dec 2017 3:41 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Stenning (Post 996385)
My new DVD-ROM will be ideal for you when it's released then. Probably middle of next year based on current sorting and scanning progress.

Will it sport original manuals with the parts lists including all code numbers?

Paul Stenning 9th Dec 2017 7:38 pm

It will be mostly manufacturers manuals, and will include all the information in the originals. If there is a separate parts list manual I will include that as part of the manual too. Obviously the amount of information varies a lot between manufacturers, and in some cases I only have provisional data. Trader sheets and ERT etc will be included too, whether or not I have the manufacturers manual, as I prefer to include everything available.

m0cemdave 19th Dec 2017 1:04 am

Paul - I will send you a PM re this thread