UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   General Vintage Technology Discussions (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   What is this for? (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=159199)

ITAM805 25th Aug 2019 3:22 pm

What is this for?

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Folks

what is this 'bit' for, it's in a very useful multi bit set from Lidl?

Many thanks

TonyDuell 25th Aug 2019 3:23 pm

Re: What is this for?

I seem to remember (based on similar sets from other sources) it's to screw screwhooks and eyes into wood.

ITAM805 25th Aug 2019 3:36 pm

Thanks Tony, yes that would make sense

Refugee 25th Aug 2019 4:40 pm

You aught to watch me cleaning pre-owned bricks with a power tool with the head of a toilet brush in the chuck:-D
How many cup hooks do you need to install???

Herald1360 25th Aug 2019 4:40 pm

I wonder if this qualifies as a FAQ yet? ;D

McMurdo 26th Aug 2019 11:31 am

I've got one in a bit set I had for my birthday, I didn't know what it was either!

Googling cup hook driver' brings them up on amazon etc. 8-)

ITAM805 26th Aug 2019 12:25 pm

Thanks Kev, nobody I'd asked before knew what it was for!

Quote:

How many cup hooks do you need to install
None presently, but we now have the technology! :-)

Guest 26th Aug 2019 12:50 pm

It could be used to create hemispherical dents in brickwork using a coin, as seen at many a bus stop.

Radio Wrangler 26th Aug 2019 1:45 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ITAM805 (Post 1171252)
None presently, but we now have the technology! :-)

Once you have a shiny new hammer, every problem starts to look like a nail.

I expect to see your new avatar soon with a neat row of cup hooks along the lower face of the recorder's cabinet...

David

Refugee 26th Aug 2019 3:53 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by merlinmaxwell (Post 1171265)
It could be used to create hemispherical dents in brickwork using a coin, as seen at many a bus stop.

When I was young it used to be the wall at the front of the swimming pool while people were waiting for it to open.

ITAM805 26th Aug 2019 5:20 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Nice idea David

usradcoll1 26th Aug 2019 5:43 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ITAM805 (Post 1171054)
what is this 'bit' for, it's in a very useful multi bit set from Lidl?

I have a set like it somewhere, not as many bits.
It looks like a few interested security bits for some of the Chinese items out there.
Always interested, Dave USradcoll1. :idea:

ITAM805 26th Aug 2019 6:06 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Dave,

yes there are security bits in there, the main reason I bought it really. In fact the first day I got them a friend ask if I could look at her battery vacuum cleaner that wouldn't charge. And lo, it had torx security screws holding it together!

TonyDuell 26th Aug 2019 6:18 pm

It always bothers me when I see several of the same bit in a set. I feel it means that the manufacturers expect them to wear out quickly.

There are several types of security screws that that set doesn't cover, and I've come across them in things appropriate to this forum :

System Zero

5 lobed torx-like thing

Triangular. I do not mean tri-wing, I mean a screw head with an triangular recess in it (as opposed to the hexagonal recess of an Allen screw). This is remarkably common in domestic appliances now, and remarkably hard to find the bit to undo it.

McMurdo 26th Aug 2019 11:25 pm

Novel (or annoyingly rare) screw heads are a way of allowing a manufacturer of automatic torque drivers to equip a production line and then tie them to their own fasteners, all in the interests of quality control, you see. Like when Sears Robuck brought out their own compact cassette recorders, that only accepted Sears Robuck compact cassettes.

As with usb charging leads, when you think you have one of each, they invent another.

Cobaltblue 27th Aug 2019 5:02 am

Some of our street products ( Type 2 car chargers ) use a Torx with centre pin to make it harder for the curious to remove covers. I found that the little RS pocket screwdrivers https://uk.rs-online.com/mobile/p/screwdrivers/4384324/ jammed between the pin and the teeth works a treat when I can't be bothered to find the proper tool :thumbsup:

Cheers

Mike T

avocollector 19th Sep 2019 9:55 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cobaltblue (Post 1171413)
Some of our street products ( Type 2 car chargers ) use a Torx with centre pin to make it harder for the curious to remove covers. I found that the little RS pocket screwdrivers https://uk.rs-online.com/mobile/p/screwdrivers/4384324/ jammed between the pin and the teeth works a treat when I can't be bothered to find the proper tool

Not only that but if you lever gently you can break that annoying centre pin and then use a normal torx bit. Another annoying habit is putting triwing or other weirdo heads down deep holes in the plastic casing so your bit will go down there but your bit holder will not.

My solution is to use a dremel with 2 round cutting disks on an arbour to cut a slot in the bit across the other end (like an old style slotted screw head) - you can then use a normal narrow bladed screwdriver to drive the bit down the hole and undo the nasty down there. Added bonus is you can still use the bit in the original holder.

Jon_G4MDC 20th Sep 2019 12:08 pm

avocollector - I like that get 2nd get around - a cunning solution to an awkward problem there..

terrykc 21st Sep 2019 9:24 pm

I find that link to the RS screwdrivers interesting.

87p each + VAT, so £1.044 each in multiples of 10. Originally made by Stead before RS started selling them re-branded as RS, we used to nip into the builders merchants next door where they were in a stand on the counter.

6d each with a 2½" blade, 7d with a 3½" blade in 1961. I make that 3,500% inflation!

However, I'm comparing a 1961 retail price with a 2019 trade price, which makes things even worse.

With 2019 prices officially 2,107.52% higher than 1961, a retail price of 66p would be fairer.

Interesting that I lived though all this rampant inflation but, until I started calculating the figures above, I didn't realise just how bad the cumulative effects have been!

duncanlowe 21st Sep 2019 9:33 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by terrykc (Post 1178104)
I find that link to the RS screwdrivers interesting.

I have so many of those, including some inherited ones and some very recent ones. One of the few things I reckon the quality is largely still good.