UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Radio (domestic) (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Best looking vintage radio you have ever seen or owned?? (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=137600)

Nukeybrown 22nd Jun 2017 4:56 pm

Best looking vintage radio you have ever seen or owned??

2 Attachment(s)
Recently got this blaupunkt pop 70 set and i think its possibly one of the best looking sets ive ever seen, along with my all white hacker sovereign.

Anyone care to interject?

crackle 22nd Jun 2017 5:17 pm

Re: Best looking vintage radio you have ever seen or owned??

1 Attachment(s)
The classic lines of this iconic radio are a joy to me.
The UP21 "Scarlet Rhapsody"

Mike

Herald1360 22nd Jun 2017 5:30 pm

1 Attachment(s)
I've always liked the Marconi P17B. Apart from various clones, there's nothing quite like it.

G6Tanuki 22nd Jun 2017 5:44 pm

2 Attachment(s)
I'm definitely from the "Form follows function" mindset. Hence I have a fondness for the likes of the Pye P75 and Roberts R606 [shown here sitting side by side: the 606 is my daily-listener, the P75 - which I've fitted with an expanded-metal grille in place of the crumbly speaker-cloth - is kinda-OK for listening to the occasional SW broadcast station].

Personally though, I prefer the true neo-brutalist appearance of 'Industrial/Military' radios - as illustrated by my RACAL RA217/MA323 in the second pic. Even though nearly 50 years old it still gives a good performance receiving HF SSB stations.

I'd like to acquire a Bush TR130, if only because it was designed by Tom Karen of Ogle Design, who were also responsible for the design of the Reliant Scimitar [one of which I also have...]

PaulR 22nd Jun 2017 6:04 pm

2 Attachment(s)
A radiogram rather than a radio admittedly but I do like my McMichael 365. It has had a new lid stay fitted since the second photo was taken!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4CWt_UNHuI&t=2s

Guest 22nd Jun 2017 6:11 pm

1 Attachment(s)
One of my first (40 odd years ago, but a wee lad) the slatted glass HMV 1121

ajs37 22nd Jun 2017 6:35 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Pye M78F for me - I have 2 of them - a black and ivory one and a green and ivory one - second shelf up

Radio Wrangler 22nd Jun 2017 6:45 pm

RA217? Interesting, though I prefer the modernist proportions of its flat brother the RA1217. I first saw one in 1972 and it hit me with its wow factor. For broadcast radios, I'm torn between the Beolits and the Hackers.

David

G6Tanuki 22nd Jun 2017 6:55 pm

I like the RA217/MA323 because it's so stable: I can dial-up a SSB broadcast [like one of the VOLMET ones], switch the radio off for a week, fire it back up again and it's still spot-on frequency.

"Form follows function" again. I've got an Eddystone 840A as a bedside-radio and though it looks the business it's drifty-as-hell.

greenstar 22nd Jun 2017 7:32 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Probably a little eccentric, but I'm smitten by some home made 20's sets. This one's a roundtuit. After that 30's woodies, and yes, military sets - love my HRO.
Tony

Nukeybrown 22nd Jun 2017 8:49 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by crackle (Post 954032)
The classic lines of this iconic radio are a joy to me.
The UP21 "Scarlet Rhapsody"

The first radio i had was a rhapsody deluxe. Nice looking radio

Nukeybrown 22nd Jun 2017 8:50 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajs37 (Post 954060)
Pye M78F for me - I have 2 of them - a black and ivory one and a green and ivory one - second shelf up

Pye ones v v nice.

Nukeybrown 22nd Jun 2017 8:52 pm

1 Attachment(s)
I also like the marantz 2015 and the sony st-88 combo if we are going into radiograms hifi etc.

Etronic Tonic 22nd Jun 2017 10:52 pm

1 Attachment(s)
I have a liking for vintage French sets, although fairly basic they are just so over the top as regards design.
This is my Sonolor set I restored last year.

stubbyeddy 22nd Jun 2017 11:24 pm

1 Attachment(s)
I've just finished a few weeks ago restoring this Pilot U-106 and I have to admit its a beautiful set with lovely veneers and inlays but it's rather a huge 10 valver beast! I just love the speaker grill design... Has to be up there with some of the nicest looking sets ive owned

Paul_RK 22nd Jun 2017 11:36 pm

2 Attachment(s)
My favourite sets on aesthetic grounds are pretty disparate. The 1931 Ultra range would figure among them - Panther IV, Tiger III and Blue Fox - as would a Murphy or two, say the A40C and for its utter simplicity the A26. Then the early valved Transoceanics, and the Stromberg-Carlson International: the RV14 Hacker Mayflower, Braun T1000, the over-the-top Panasonics and for a modest transistor portable the Ever Ready Sky Master, with its wonderfully robust little wooden cabinet.

Here are the Stromberg-Carlson with half a Tiger III, and the Panasonic RF-9000 dwarfing a Sky Master,.

Paul

Nuvistor 23rd Jun 2017 1:10 am

1 Attachment(s)
I like the simple lines of this Ekco U332 I have.

ted_ntsx 23rd Jun 2017 6:57 am

2 Attachment(s)
"Best looking" is a very personal opinion, but my current visual favourites are my Radio rentals "Art deco" radio, and my Decca Debutante transistor.

Ted.

Panrock 23rd Jun 2017 10:35 am

1 Attachment(s)
For me, it's probably my 'Odeonesque' Defiant MSH938AC from 1938 with motor tuning, AFC, magic eye and television sound.

Is this the largest table radio ever made?

Steve

Etronic Tonic 23rd Jun 2017 11:57 am

That is a beauty Steve! :)