UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Forum Announcements and Comments (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   New posters (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=137185)

Oldcodger 6th Jun 2017 2:00 pm

New posters

I'm noticing a lot more female posters on here. Jules- no adverse comments here- I admire what you've done - but have we more female engineers or ?

AC/HL 6th Jun 2017 3:34 pm

Re: New posters

No reason why not. A generation have now had an education which attempts to free society from outdated restrictions and attitudes with regards to interests and career opportunities. A bit of a rocky road maybe, but we need to look to the future, not the past.
I offered some car manuals on Freegle a while ago, and they were taken by a young lady who is training to be an HGV mechanic.

Nickthedentist 6th Jun 2017 3:42 pm

I think it's a bit of both, from what I understand.

Either way, it's nice to redress the balance a bit.

Station X 6th Jun 2017 3:45 pm

Who is Jules?

Nickthedentist 6th Jun 2017 3:52 pm

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=118142

...unless I've got the wrong end of the stick, which is not entirely impossible!

Station X 6th Jun 2017 4:25 pm

Got it!

I was searching for forum members with Jules in their username.

Tractionist 6th Jun 2017 4:42 pm

Britain needs to encourage more female [or indeed any gender of] Engineers. When I worked in Greece I worked alongside any number of female: structural, mechanical, electrical and instrumentation engineers ...... similar comments apply to Poles, Belarus etc. etc. No issues at all - they were great ....... and if anything .... far more patient and measured by comparison to some of their male counterparts!!

Boater Sam 6th Jun 2017 5:41 pm

Not knowing a lot of people on this forum, but I am wondering if all the female names here are really women? Mine for instance is unisex.
With a completely open mind, some say just empty.

Bazz4CQJ 6th Jun 2017 6:09 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tractionist (Post 950022)
Britain needs to encourage more female [or indeed any gender of] Engineers.

Politicians are always saying that we need more engineers and scientists, but I always wonder what we need them for? We import so very much.

The country that was a world leader in nuclear power generation seems to be headed to buying in either French or Chinese nuclear stations. Here in Oxford, the buses have diesel/electric hybrid engines that come from the US and have to go back there for major servicing. I'd guess that a very large fraction (most?) of defence spending on hardware goes overseas. I won't even mention electronics.

When you have a few hours to kill, start and write a list of all the names of British engineering companies / agencies which have simply disappeared in the last 25 years.

B

paulsherwin 6th Jun 2017 6:21 pm

Please stay on topic.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Boater Sam (Post 950042)
Not knowing a lot of people on this forum, but I am wondering if all the female names here are really women? Mine for instance is unisex.
With a completely open mind, some say just empty.

The mods don't investigate such things. Members can and do present themselves however they wish so long as they obey the forum rules.

HamishBoxer 6th Jun 2017 7:41 pm

Just a point,I wish more folks would put a profile up.

Cobaltblue 6th Jun 2017 7:56 pm

Interestingly some of the shortest profiles are the Mods :thumbsup:

Not having a go :)

Cheers

Mike T

Guest 6th Jun 2017 8:06 pm

I like the not needed aspect of 'our' profiles, the less out here the better.

julie_m 6th Jun 2017 10:41 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tractionist (Post 950022)
Britain needs to encourage more female [or indeed any gender of] Engineers.

:soapbox:I wonder if the stereotypical British shame over body parts doesn't generalise to a sort of disdain for fundamental physical processes?

The British middle class hate infrastructure -- they'd rather have an annual hosepipe ban than build any new reservoirs, they'd rather sit in cars in gridlocked traffic than build any new railways, and they certainly don't want any new mobile phone masts or wind turbines. Kids dream of being footballers or reality TV stars, and actually making stuff for a living is about one step up from prostitution. (Art for art's sake, on the other hand, is different.)

It's no wonder we don't value science and engineering.

As for sexism, that starts about as young as it can -- even before a baby is born, we are keen to know down which of two distinct life pathways it should be pushed.

kalee20 6th Jun 2017 11:01 pm

Most of the time it doesn't matter - this is a Vintage Radio Forum after all not a dating site! Hopefully each poster's post is treated on its merits, not on the gender of the poster.

At the same time, the ladies who aspire to be engineers have a tough job coping with prejudice, let's hope that's not the case here and they feel welcome.

The Philpott 6th Jun 2017 11:12 pm

Julie, pretty much everything you get on your soapbox about, I agree with. You are very insightful. You remind me of my friend Pauline.

I bang my head against the wall over types who grizzle about solar power farms just for the sake of it. As for making things, there was a wonderful episode of the Comic Strip Presents where Alexei Sayle's (reformed) character was told 'Karl, if i find out you've been MAKING THINGS you'll be back inside before you know what's hit you'

But anyway, back on topic, I do think it tends less and less to be sneered at to be a female academic and this is good.

Sideband 6th Jun 2017 11:34 pm

When I worked at Philips in the Technical Advice department, we regularly had a female engineer ring up for advice. She was good but hadn't had much experience on Philips TV's. That would have been back in the 1990's (was it really that long ago.....)?

In a few years, there were a few more female engineers and a couple even applied for Tech Advice at Philips.

In my present job in Safety Testing we had a young Chinese lady who was quite happy testing Hi Fi systems and safety testing SMPS.

Times are changing in certain areas. I've seen women car mechanics quite happily changing gearboxes. I'm all for it.

Tractionist 7th Jun 2017 10:55 am

The thing is .... in this age of 'political correctness' it seems to be deemed 'patronising' to even mention that we are all equal [or rather should be] whatever our gender, colour, political or spiritual leanings.

Tractionist 7th Jun 2017 11:14 am

Anyway - the topic seems to be about 'gender' ......so:

Check-out that classic photo of the Ladies assembling the legendary Philco 444's down in Greenford! This wasn't wartime - but there isn't a bloke in sight!! To my mind these ladies weren't 'factory workers' .... they were skilled technicians .... applying deft fingers and total concentration to intricate assembly operations involving expensive components.

And ...... I bet what came off their production lines performed a whole lot better than mine .... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HamishBoxer 7th Jun 2017 11:25 am

Let us not forget it was the fairer sex that helped win the war, from building planes etc and delivering them.