UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Using Canned Air For Removing Dust (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=155004)

Richard_FM 17th Mar 2019 11:39 pm

Using Canned Air For Removing Dust

Recently I've had to clean a lot of dust & fluff out of 2 devices, mostly using the suggested method of a clean paintbrush.

This has been useful, but sometimes I've not been able to get into some tight spots with it.

I did wonder if it was worth investing in a aerosol of compressed air intended for removing dust, as I wasn't sure how effective it was, and if it's too rough for cleaning PCBs.

GRID LEAK 18th Mar 2019 12:07 am

Re: Using Canned Air For Removing Dust

Canned compressed air is perfectly safe for use on "MOST" electronic equipment. Just don't get too close to any delicate stuff. Its downside is the high cost of it. I use my garage compressor set to a lower pressure for cleaning purposes. A 12volt tyre inflator is a cheap and cheerful substitute, but it needs a 12volt supply to power it.
Regards
John.

Richard_FM 18th Mar 2019 12:26 am

Thanks for the advice, I've heard of using air compressors to clear dust, I have an electric tyre pump so I might see how I get on with it, though I'll have to work out how to power it as it has an in car power connector.

Reelman 18th Mar 2019 1:03 am

I was surprised how effective the canned air was for cleaning, it can clean up far faster than a manual brush. Just be careful where you use it.

My boss was using it in the workshop to clean an old pc motherboard that was thick with fluff, dust etc. Whilst I was impressed with the speed and resulting cleanliness he was not impressed when I said he should have done it outside rather than fill our lungs with human dust which of course went everywhere!

Peter

stevehertz 18th Mar 2019 8:35 am

I use one of these. Expensive to buy, but as a rechargeable device it's a once only payment.
https://www.canlessair.com

Nickthedentist 18th Mar 2019 10:41 am

Following on from what Steve advised, I have the mains powered version: https://www.metrovacworld.com/produc...uster/overview

Not cheap, but then have you seen the price of air duster aerosols these days?

Seriously, it's been worth every penny and has made cleaning out old chassis a joy. Just take them out into the garden, plug in the blower, bit of assistance from a big paintbrush if need be, and the job's done in under a minute. I also use it for computers, TVs, audio gear, the lawnmower, clock cases, lampshades and so on.

£85 on Amazon UK: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Metro-220-2.../dp/B003BZCOKK

N

MrBungle 18th Mar 2019 11:12 am

I use an old airbrush compressor I got on gumtree for a tenner for this. That and a horse hair brush I stole off Mrs Bungle :)

Nickthedentist 18th Mar 2019 11:14 am

If you've got the space for a compressor, they're great too, though the air can be moist if you're not careful.

Guest 18th Mar 2019 12:08 pm

Poundland do canned air, for a pound.

Radio Wrangler 18th Mar 2019 12:26 pm

The canned air, I assume, is aerosol propellant not actual air. So I'd be a bit concerned about what it is and where it comes from.

I have a compressor in the garage and the receiver (no, not that sort!) remains at about 150psi so I don't need to run it up to blow a bit of dust off anything. It really comes into its own for clearing sawdust out of the planer, router, etc.

But for things like rusty radio chassis, then a compressor also gives you the bead blasting gun option.

There isn't really enough utility in doing radio stuff to justify one, but if you already have one, or come across one for a low enough price, then it opens a whole new world.

David

Dave Moll 18th Mar 2019 12:57 pm

I remember the late (and inimitable) Gerry Wells reckoning he could use his compressor to send woodworms flying from an infected cabinet - though maybe just a flight of fancy!

Jonster 18th Mar 2019 1:35 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nickthedentist (Post 1129856)
Following on from what Steve advised, I have the mains powered version: https://www.metrovacworld.com/produc...uster/overview

Not cheap, but then have you seen the price of air duster aerosols these days?

Seriously, it's been worth every penny and has made cleaning out old chassis a joy. Just take them out into the garden, plug in the blower, bit of assistance from a big paintbrush if need be, and the job's done in under a minute. I also use it for computers, TVs, audio gear, the lawnmower, clock cases, lampshades and so on.

£85 on Amazon UK: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Metro-220-2.../dp/B003BZCOKK

N

I've got one of those DataVacs too, they are excellent.

kalee20 18th Mar 2019 1:57 pm

Personally I prefer suck to blow. Paintbrushes plus vacuum cleaner.

This will remove the majority of the dust, without spreading it everywhere in the vicinity! After that, if necessary, the compressed air comes out. Great for cleaning air-spaced tuning capacitors, but watch the pressure!

As to canned air, I have never used one, so can't comment. Less than the cost of a dinner out, though!

Restoration73 18th Mar 2019 5:51 pm

Don't forget to use suitable personal protection e.g. goggles, dust mask etc.

Dust may contain chemical, radiological or bacteriological particles which in their mildest form could be an irritant, or have even more serious consequences.

Guest 18th Mar 2019 6:09 pm

Quote:

Dust may contain chemical, radiological or bacteriological particles which in their mildest form could be an irritant, or have even more serious consequences.
The very same dust we live in day to day, a bit OTT for a simple cleaning operation without extra chemicals.

Tractorfan 18th Mar 2019 6:18 pm

Hi.
Just a thought about using a compressor for blowing out muck: is there the risk of crank case oil vapour being emitted in the air? I don't think 'domestic' garage compressors have an oil separator. Or do they have piston rings that don't require lubrication?
Cheers, Pete.

Radio Wrangler 18th Mar 2019 7:00 pm

The piston rings are lubricated. Oil and water separators are normal for outputs used for paint spraying. Otherwise finishes are spoiled. Outputs used for air tools (drills, grinders saws) are sometimes provided with an oil injector. You have to take care to keep flexible hoses apart for clean and oily air.

David

ms660 18th Mar 2019 9:31 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by merlinmaxwell (Post 1129976)
Quote:

The very same dust we live in day to day, a bit OTT for a simple cleaning operation without extra chemicals.

He kids not about dust, I speak from personal experience, no mask...I ended up in a very bad way within half an hour or so after exposure, sometimes it's not the dust per se but what's on it.

Lawrence.

vidjoman 18th Mar 2019 10:09 pm

Perhaps the answer is to use the lowest pressure to remove/loosen the dust and a vacuum system to suck up the debris.

John M0GLN 19th Mar 2019 8:05 am

There should be no problems with old valve radios, but could using paint brushes and dry air on any sensitive semi-conductor devices cause problems with static electricity?

John