UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Computers (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   PDF transfer from old computer. (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=170813)

Tom williams 7th Sep 2020 12:14 pm

PDF transfer from old computer.

2 Attachment(s)
Hello there,

I have been trying to transfer some files from an old windows 98 laptop to a windows 10 desktop, it has been quite difficult because laptop has a USB connection but won't recognise any of my USB drives,it only recognises my USB mouse.

I'll try using a free dial-up internet provider but that hasn't worked either, there is also a floppy disc drive but I don't have any other computers with a floppy drive.

I will attach pictures below of the laptop in question as well as information about it in Windows.

Tom

paulsherwin 7th Sep 2020 12:22 pm

Re: PDF transfer from old computer.

USB mass storage support was only added in W98SE.

The easiest solution would be to buy an IDE to USB interface cable and use it to connect the laptop HD to a newer computer. You can buy such things for a few quid on eBay.

McMurdo 7th Sep 2020 12:32 pm

if it has an ethernet port could you use a crossover cable, or add it to a home network if your router has more than one port?

Station X 7th Sep 2020 12:42 pm

Email them to yourself?

Tom williams 7th Sep 2020 12:53 pm

3 Attachment(s)
Just to answer a few questions for you:

No the computer does not have an ethernet port.

I am unable to remove the hard drive from the computer.

Would I be able to move the files using a USB to 9-pin serial cable?

Tom

(below I have provided a photo of the ports on the back of the computer but can also provide the side ones if needed, I have also tried burning them to a DVD and that hasn't worked either)

cmjones01 7th Sep 2020 1:05 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom williams (Post 1286937)
Would I be able to move the files using a USB to 9-pin serial cable?

Yes, quite possibly. The old Windows 98 machine will have HyperTerminal installed, almost certainly, and that can transfer files over the serial port. I think it uses XMODEM but I can't remember what the menus look like any more. I think it may just be File -> send or something like that.

HyperTerminal is also available for Windows 10, as are many other serial communication programs (my favourite is TeraTerm) which should be able to receive the file and save it.

Chris

G0HZU_JMR 7th Sep 2020 1:41 pm

I still use an old Win98SE laptop to control my PCB milling machine. I found that the USB port 'does' support USB memory sticks but only the older ones with fairly limited memory size.

I think the biggest memstick I use with it is 512Mb. I also use a 256Mb and a 64Mb and a 16Mb with it. I may have had to install a driver for the 512Mb memstick but I can't remember now. I use the USB memstik to transfer PCB design files to and from the old Win98SE laptop.

paulsherwin 7th Sep 2020 1:42 pm

If the worst comes to the worst, put the files on one or more floppies and post them to me. I don't have a computer with an FD in everyday use, but I should be able to lash something up.

As I said earlier, limited USB mass storage support arrived with W98SE. If the laptop has the earlier W98 it won't be able to use pendrives of any size.

OldTechFan96 7th Sep 2020 1:48 pm

You could install the Win98 USB storage driver and transfer your files via a USB stick. I used this driver with a '98 Toshiba and it worked well.

I copied the .exe onto a floppy disk and ran in from there.

cheerfulcharlie 7th Sep 2020 1:55 pm

This may help?

https://www.philscomputerlab.com/win...ge-driver.html

G0HZU_JMR 7th Sep 2020 2:01 pm

Quote:

If the laptop has the earlier W98 it won't be able to use pendrives of any size.
The screenshot in post #1 does show Windows 98 Second Edition if that helps.

paulsherwin 7th Sep 2020 2:07 pm

You're right Jeremy, I didn't look closely. In that case it should be OK with pendrives of 2GB or smaller.

Tom williams 7th Sep 2020 2:16 pm

Hello,

I've just gone on to eBay and ordered one of these: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/163959544565 (apologies if I'm not allowed to post links) as soon as it arrives I will start transferring the files, should be here by Wednesday/ Thursday.

paulsherwin 7th Sep 2020 2:29 pm

It might be easier if you just bought a small memory stick, like one of these: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/64MB-USB-...e/254599349951

The cable that you have ordered is just a physical interface. You still need to sort out the software required to transfer files. This isn't particularly difficult, but it sounds as if you don't have a lot of expertise in this area.

Phil__G 7th Sep 2020 3:04 pm

I've just done this very thing, recovering nostalgic data from a very old laptop. I zipped up everything I needed so there was just one file to transfer, then I used Zmodem in Terraterm to send the zip over a serial cable to a 'modern' laptop. Took a while, even at 115200, but worked great. It subsequently cost me a week of my life reminiscing over old projects :)

Slothie 7th Sep 2020 3:23 pm

You could try using Kermit with your serial cable http://www.kermitproject.org/index.html
I have many happy memories of deploying software from a VAX to VAX back in the day by using kermit over modems... Its still available, still free and appears to work on Windows 95+

RogerEvans 7th Sep 2020 3:27 pm

A few months ago I installed Win98SE on a previously WinXP laptop just for programming GAL chips. My notes from the install said that I needed to install the files nusb33.exe and nusb36.exe in order to get USB pen drive support. It recognises 2GB pen drives and possibly 4GB, I am not absolutely sure on the latter. I found both the files just by Googling for the file names.

Regards,

Roger

AC/HL 7th Sep 2020 3:30 pm

It's easy to forget that Data is Data. What we usually see are interface standards, but they all do the same thing in reality, you just have to get them talking.

emeritus 7th Sep 2020 4:15 pm

Do you have a digital camera? Before USB memory sticks became available at a reasonable price I used to transfer files between work and my Win 98 2nd edition PC using the camera, which looks just like another drive to the computers. The camera came with a CD containing the necessary drivers for Win 98. I now have a couple of 1GBit CF memory cards for my digital camera, and use them for transferring files.

I had to install memory-specific drivers to get USB memory sticks to work with Win 98. Is the driver at #9 a generic one that should work with most USB memory sticks? The two different ones I installed, do not work with my other other sub-GBit drives.

duncanlowe 7th Sep 2020 6:08 pm

Another option. Write the data to a floppy, and use a USB floppy drive on your newer machine. I can't see why any version of newer windows wouldn't recognise a USB floppy drive.