UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps) (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Wanted - PVR. (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=168483)

Mike Phelan 29th Jun 2020 3:19 pm

Wanted - PVR.

Hi folks,

We've had a Humax PVR 9150T for several years now, and it works fine but a bit limited on the number of programmes it can record.

We need a PVR with a bit more functionality: it needs to have SCART in / out and keep its memory when switched off.

Anyone got anything like that?

BTW, our TV is a 1980's B&O.

duncanlowe 29th Jun 2020 5:44 pm

Re: Wanted - PVR.

When you say limited, do you mean how many recordings it can store on the disc? It might be possible to upgrade the HDD inside it.

KeithsTV 29th Jun 2020 6:16 pm

Mike, is it a SATA drive? If it is I've got a surplus 250Gb drive you can have which should fit and increase the storage capability.

Keith

paulsherwin 29th Jun 2020 7:38 pm

The Humax 1800T/2000T has a SCART interface as well as the now-ubiquitous HDMI (it also has phonos for audio). It supports the Freeview HD muxes. I think it's still available though it's getting on a bit now, having been introduced in 2014. I have one and there have been no disasters so far. You can upgrade it with any 2.5" SATA HD, and also use an additional HD via the USB interface.

Mike Phelan 30th Jun 2020 8:45 am

Hi Duncan,

My wording was probably a bit too vague ???

The actual disc capacity isn't a problem, it was the number of simultaneous recordings; ie if we want to record four channels at, say, 9 pm, we can only record two.

The location of the unit is in such a place where access is very limited so I don't reallt want to do very much to it other than just replace it. having anything attached to it isn't really possible.

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncanlowe (Post 1264722)
When you say limited, do you mean how many recordings it can store on the disc? It might be possible to upgrade the HDD inside it.

Mike Phelan 30th Jun 2020 8:46 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeithsTV (Post 1264737)
Mike, is it a SATA drive? If it is I've got a surplus 250Gb drive you can have which should fit and increase the storage capability.

Keith

Thanks, Keith, but AFAIK it isn't a SATA drive.

Mike Phelan 30th Jun 2020 8:56 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulsherwin (Post 1264756)
The Humax 1800T/2000T has a SCART interface as well as the now-ubiquitous HDMI (it also has phonos for audio). It supports the Freeview HD muxes. I think it's still available though it's getting on a bit now, having been introduced in 2014. I have one and there have been no disasters so far. You can upgrade it with any 2.5" SATA HD, and also use an additional HD via the USB interface.

Hi Paul,

The 1800T seemed OK regarding the size, however looking at it further, watching or recording two channels simultaneously cannot be done, so it's giving me less than my current 9150T.

paulsherwin 30th Jun 2020 10:40 am

No, it contains 2 tuners, which is standard for a Freeview PVR. This means you can record or watch channels from 2 muxes at the same time. For example, say BBC1 and BBC2 are on mux A, ITV is on mux B, and Dave is on mux C. You can record BBC1 and ITV at the same time because you have access to two muxes. You can additionally watch or record BBC2 at the same time because it is also on mux A. However, you can't watch or record Dave at the same time because it is on a third mux.

Mike Phelan 30th Jun 2020 3:01 pm

Gotcha, Paul, I understand.
So, it would need another tuner to do what I need, if there were such a thing.
Looks like I'll have to stick with the 9150T.

paulsherwin 30th Jun 2020 3:06 pm

I don't know of any Freeview PVRs with more than 2 tuners, but they may exist.

Another solution is just to use more than one PVR!

Nickthedentist 30th Jun 2020 3:16 pm

Yes, I know people who have two identical PVRs on top of one another for that very reason.

Now that there's more and more available to stream, I'm doing less and less recording as time goes on.

Mike Phelan 30th Jun 2020 3:37 pm

Paul, I think I'll just stick with what I have as it's not a desperate need as we don't intend to be couch potatoes.

Nick, I'm not au fait with this streaming thing but I suspect I would need a newish TV and / or some sort of monthly cost? Or a wok on the wall?

paulsherwin 30th Jun 2020 3:49 pm

1 Attachment(s)
You just need a streaming device and an internet connection, though most only provide an HDMI interface so would need an HDMI to composite converter to drive a 40 year old telly. The T1800 PVR has some limited built in streaming facilities.

Aub 30th Jun 2020 11:13 pm

I try to record stuff, rather than stream, if it's got adverts, so I can fast forward.

Cheers
Aub

red16v 1st Jul 2020 9:13 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aub (Post 1265209)
I try to record stuff, rather than stream, if it's got adverts, so I can fast forward.

Cheers
Aub

Please donít do that, they pay my pension!

Mike Phelan 2nd Jul 2020 8:46 am

Mods, I think you can close this thread as my question has been adequately covered - we'll just stick with the present Humax while it still works.