UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Clubs, Groups and Societies (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Harwell Rally 2019: Sunday 10th Feb. (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=153815)

G6Tanuki 7th Feb 2019 7:50 pm

Harwell Rally 2019: Sunday 10th Feb.

Posting this purely for enlightenment: I am not a member of HARS and have no related financial/business interests.

The 22nd Harwell ARS annual Radio and Electronics Rally takes place on Sunday 10th February 2019, 10:00 until 15:00.

https://www.g3pia.net/radio-electronics-rally/

In the past it's been worth a vist - I've acquired a number of 'interesting' bits of gear built using obscure late-50s/early-60s transistors and stuff which was clearly made using evening/weekend-job parts sourced from UKAEA or SRC stores...

MrBungle 8th Feb 2019 5:04 pm

Re: Harwell Rally 2019: Sunday 10th Feb.

I shall be there - fancy a Sunday drive out and a sneaky sausage and egg mcmuffin on the way :)

Glad to hear of good things in the past. I haven't been to this one before so was a bit on the fence to start with. Hoping to stock up on parts mostly and any interesting bits of useful test gear.

paulsherwin 8th Feb 2019 5:47 pm

It's within walking distance of Didcot Parkway station for anybody without a car.

Sinewave 9th Feb 2019 11:18 pm

I may make an appearance.

MrBungle 10th Feb 2019 3:09 pm

Just got home. Didn't buy a thing!

Nearly ended up with another Tek 475A but resisted and that was it.

Sean Williams 10th Feb 2019 3:38 pm

Nice rally - came back with a HP Pulse Generator - not sure why, but the condition is very good, and it has the hard to find mains lead :)

A few variable capacitors and a couple of nice looking big ferrite rings

Sinewave 10th Feb 2019 4:44 pm

I had an enjoyable day.

I also bought a pulse generator, a large modular Advance unit. Also two Avo's, an 8 Mk 4 and Jeremy kindly gave me an older model 7 he purchased as a lot of 2.

Also I bought a very nice ex Royal Signals frequency meter of which the proceeds will go to the Dulwich museum.

G4YVM David 10th Feb 2019 5:11 pm

I had a good day too, with three other members of Andover club. Nice to chat to some very decent folk. Afraid I only came away with a pack of heat shrink and a packet of liquorice sweets!

I did see the Roberts R300 radio which looked sort of half decent but on opening it was a sad sight to my eyes. Badly corroded and very dirty. A nice project for the next bloke.

MrBungle 10th Feb 2019 5:58 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean Williams (Post 1119211)
Nice rally - came back with a HP Pulse Generator - not sure why, but the condition is very good, and it has the hard to find mains lead :)

A few variable capacitors and a couple of nice looking big ferrite rings

I saw you hobbing off with that looking rather pleased ;D

I spent about 5 minutes staring at that and asking myself if I need a pulse generator and decided no.

Sean Williams 10th Feb 2019 7:27 pm

Ah, my problem is, I recognise very few members here :)

Its still in the car - Cheffing duties when I got back has precluded shack time, but may wander out and have a play shortly - I have no reason to think it will not work though :)

MrBungle 10th Feb 2019 7:58 pm

I know precisely no one in the flesh apart from Pamphonic so similar situation. Correlation of goods at hamfests is it. Perhaps there should be a “vintage radio forum” corner somewhere :)

I am now regretting not picking up that 475A as mine has just given out typically!

Sean Williams 10th Feb 2019 8:17 pm

Well, that's boring - it works perfectly. Never my usual experience when buying test equipment :)

MrBungle 10th Feb 2019 8:22 pm

Leave it on a couple of hours first. I bought a tek 2235 from a rally and it exploded violently after an hour :(