UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Decent wire strippers (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=138928)

MrBungle 12th Aug 2017 12:06 pm

Decent wire strippers

Does anyone know if such a thing exists. I've tried the gun style ones, the T shaped ones and they're all complete rubbish. They either destroy the insulation, nick the wire or pull the wire out of the insulation and nothing in between.

I've got to the point that I am actually rolling around the end of the insulation with a scalpel part way through and then using finger nails to do the rest. This doesn't scale well to hundreds of wires however though.

Any suggestions welcome.

Jon_G4MDC 12th Aug 2017 12:11 pm

Re: Decent wire strippers

These were better than I expected them to be.

https://www.elfa.se/en/wire-stripper...=25&simi=97.69

Have you tried that type?

Terry_VK5TM 12th Aug 2017 12:29 pm

I use this style without any problems:-

http://www.altronics.com.au/p/t1527-...wire-stripper/

There is a version for thicker wire to 3.2mm, Part no T1526

Terry

MrBungle 12th Aug 2017 12:34 pm

Thanks both. I haven't tried either of those. Will go and evaluate!

Biggles 12th Aug 2017 12:37 pm

I have used Hellerman H31/5's for at least the last twenty years at work and home and they are brilliant. They look like a pair of shears with graded notches along the jaws. There are two size ranges though. The smaller size is more suited to electronics work. I think I may have bought them from RS. They have stood the test of time mechanically and are quick and large enough not to cause fatigue if stripping a lot of insulation. I have tried most of the other gadgets for this task during my career but these have come out tops, for me at least.
Alan.

Julesomega 12th Aug 2017 12:41 pm

At work I tried every sort of professional stripper but chose the "Ideal Industries" simple stripper (small size) which I now use exclusively at home. This pattern has been copied extensively, as in the Elfa pattern above, or "Klein" from Screwfix.

Ideal Industries still make them: http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/cable-strippers/0243112/

MrBungle 12th Aug 2017 1:05 pm

Thanks for the input. I was just literally looking at that one on RS!

Alf 12th Aug 2017 1:42 pm

1 Attachment(s)
I still use these, got them from college years ago. ;D

JayBee66 12th Aug 2017 2:02 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Irwin vise-grip.

Solid. Well made. Should outlast me.

Never had any problems with it.

Jeffreyabb 12th Aug 2017 3:05 pm

I agree with JayBee
After using the V notch pliers for years, I got one of these automatic strippers and it works great from domestic wiring to some pretty small stuff. Even has a stop so that you can get a repeatable stripping length.
Jeff

Guest 12th Aug 2017 4:14 pm

I prefer side cutters, I can judge the size by feel. Every* time I use a pair of dedicated strippers they either don't strip or take the outer strands of wire off.
A universal tool when you get used to it is much more useful than a dedicated one.

*it seems like it anyway!

karesz* 12th Aug 2017 4:14 pm

MrB.
We had at work both striper, the T152x similar product from some another producer to use and even the "RS-type" _I have preferred an T1526/27 similar (it was for AWG and metric diameters on workbench and MIL qualified too)_than an T125x similar automatic one too. I can only tell for you that all tree versions are over much years absolutly OK and onto the T125x is an (self made or original) stopper easy to apply too. Yet at home I have all tree versions too, in all case the "RS-type" mostly for mains lines/car cables and nowadays I like as best striper the automatic one, but it is a little subjective thing...
Regards, Karl

bobskie 12th Aug 2017 5:23 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alf (Post 967312)
I still use these, got them from college years ago. ;D

I have one of these! It's quite good from what I remember but I don't use it much. I have a CK automatic wire stripper which I got recently and it's fairly good though sometimes doesn't play ball. Before I was using a cheap one I don't know what the type is though.

Cameron

mole42uk 12th Aug 2017 6:01 pm

1 Attachment(s)
I've been using ABECO Mk1FD since I got them at work in 1977. Not cheap, but I haven't nicked a wire and I haven't worn them out!

neil29 12th Aug 2017 6:21 pm

I've got a pair not too different from the ones terry mentioned which my dad brought home when he finished working at Plessey years ago and they still work well enough.

Cheers
Neil.

PsychMan 12th Aug 2017 7:42 pm

The type Jaybee mentioned are the best I have used. I inherited a decent pair from my father (industrial electrician), and they will strip anything.

The only downside I found is SOME types of wires with thin insulation, like the twisted pairs in cat6 cable, it can damage the insulation slightly at the side it holds the wire, no big deal though.

MrBungle 12th Aug 2017 8:34 pm

I've literally just slung a pair of those out of the window this morning which prompted this thread. I think I'm either looking at shears or just using side cutters and fine motor skills at the moment.

Guest 12th Aug 2017 8:54 pm

Quote:

or just using side cutters and fine motor skills at the moment
It is a squeeze, release a bit and pull action to get you going, even works on PTFE covered wire.

kellys_eye 12th Aug 2017 9:14 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Never used anything other than side cutters or, for stripping 'lots' of wires, the pair shown below.

Like me they are simple but reliable.

Ed_Dinning 12th Aug 2017 9:14 pm

Hi gents, I agree with Alf. The BIB strippers work very well and are simple. They do take a little learning to get used to though!

Ed