UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Television and Video (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Widescreen black & white TV (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=166903)

mark pirate 17th May 2020 8:01 pm

Widescreen black & white TV

1 Attachment(s)
This set appears to have been produced for the French market in 2000, the screen size is 16.5cm I never knew such a set was ever made!
Has anyone else ever come across a widescreen mono set?
Cheers
Mark

ntscuser 17th May 2020 8:53 pm

Re: Widescreen black & white TV

Is it a widescreen CRT or has it simply been masked-off top & bottom to appear wide?

high_vacuum_house 17th May 2020 9:05 pm

It’s definitely a widescreen CRT. You can see the edge of the glass bulb around the edges of the screen. Not quite sure of its purpose as is a very small screen size. Possibly for CCTV use?

Christopher Capener

Sideband 17th May 2020 9:14 pm

Where are the channel-change buttons?

Richard_FM 17th May 2020 11:38 pm

That's a strange design, especially as even 4:3 monochrome sets apart from those 5 inch ones were getting hard to find by then.

paulsherwin 17th May 2020 11:54 pm

Keenox are a French brand.

It's clearly a monitor rather than a fully functional TV. Presumably it's something to do with CCTV, though it's not clear what the volume buttons are for. A number of European nations got into 16:9 aspect ratios before the UK - I remember electrical shops in Spain being full of them in the 90s. Lots of continental broadcasters played with the PAL widescreen extensions at that time, despite the compatibility problems with the 4:3 installed base.

TIMTAPE 18th May 2020 7:36 am

A friend had a widescreen format CRT TV (colour of course). Fairly small. Maybe it was produced at the end just as CRT was being phased out to Plasma and LCD. It was the only one I ever saw. From memory it was a Telefunken or a similar European brand but probably made in China.

Sideband 18th May 2020 7:44 am

I remember Philips produced a 16" widescreen CRT set (colour). That's the smallest I've seen.

Welsh Anorak 18th May 2020 9:14 am

Sony did a small widescreen colour as well, but even then it was fairly rare. That little set looks odd. If we didn't know better, it looks like someone's stretched the image! I see it has a TV/AV switch. Maybe it has tuning buttons on the top or side?

Nickthedentist 18th May 2020 9:22 am

1 Attachment(s)
True...

Richard_FM 18th May 2020 10:01 am

1 Attachment(s)
Keenox also sold those 5 inch sets identical to the one I have.

jhalphen 18th May 2020 10:53 am

2 Attachment(s)
Hi to all,

I've got one of these Keenox widescreen B&W TVs. Gift from a friend circa 2000.
The receiver has an French L norm tuner + A/V inputs.

Found another similar model from another brand, see photo + tech specs below,

Best Regards
jhalphen
Paris/France

Maarten 18th May 2020 1:23 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sideband (Post 1248784)
I remember Philips produced a 16" widescreen CRT set (colour). That's the smallest I've seen.

Possibly Sony? Never seen a Philips in any case.

Graham G3ZVT 18th May 2020 1:38 pm

2 Attachment(s)
Two other images from the Web.
Attachment 206138 Attachment 206139

Dave Moll 18th May 2020 2:18 pm

That first image certainly looks like the aspect ratio has been "doctored". The black bars top and bottom also imply a widescreen image displayed in "letterbox" format on a 4:3 screen.

jhalphen 18th May 2020 3:37 pm

2 Attachment(s)
Hi to all,

2 pictures (Internet stock photos) of the Sony 16 inch 16:9 Trinitron CRT TV.
Looked kind of strange from above with a distinctly triangular shape, wide to narrow the further back you went.

Was briefly sold in France so it's a Euro B/G/I + L norm PAL/SECAM TV.
Not very popular & disappeared quite fast.

Model number on the photos if someone wants to go "hunting"

Best Regards
jhalphen

John123 18th May 2020 5:24 pm

I remember the Sony as I have its bigger brother, the KV-20WS1U. There's a good thread on the 16" model here. Turns out there were two versions..

mark pirate 19th May 2020 8:11 pm

It does appear that Keenox was a brand used on those generic Chinese TV/radios that appeared in the early 2000's.
I wonder why the UK never got the little widescreen sets?

As for the 16" widescreen Sony, they were pretty rare, I had a work colleague who used one as his main set!
My example was obtained from a boot sale several years ago, I remember the vendor told me it cost a whopping £300 when new.
:beer:
Mark

Brigham 21st May 2020 9:49 am

Can we confirm that the little KEENOX set is NOT widescreen, but a photographic distortion?
This would account for the UK not getting the widescreen version!