UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Correct Fastener ID (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=147076)

poppydog 1st Jun 2018 7:39 pm

Correct Fastener ID

1 Attachment(s)
Can anybody please tell me the correct terminology for one of these? I need to find some as mine are rotten.

Right-hand thread machine screw with a left-hand thread wood screw. These are used to mount my speaker out of my Ekco radio.

Regards
Poppydog

emeritus 1st Jun 2018 8:35 pm

Re: Correct Fastener ID

Not something I have come across. The closest is some types of decking screw that have a portion of left-hand thread adjacent the head, but the other end is ordinary have right hand woodscew thead.
You may find that the original screws will clean up nicely with a circular wire brush on a bench grinder or an electric drill such as a Dremel.

Cobaltblue 1st Jun 2018 8:40 pm

Something like these :)

https://www.tubesandmore.com/product...unting-studnut

Cheers Mike T

Radio Wrangler 1st Jun 2018 9:13 pm

Wilmslow audio supplied them when I built speakers.

David

dseymo1 1st Jun 2018 9:16 pm

I must be missing something!
Unless you intend regularly removing and replacing the speaker, what advantage do they have over straight-through machine screws?

barrymagrec 1st Jun 2018 9:38 pm

Something like this may be adaptable :

https://www.kjfaudio.com/product/hex...r-wood-type-e/

Silicon 2nd Jun 2018 12:14 pm

If you can't find replacements, try leaving the rusty screws in phosphoric acid for an hour.

It will remove/loosen/convert the rust. You may need to use an old toothbrush or scourer to remove some deposits. The results can be impressive.

Some people use citric, oxalic and acetic acid.

ColinTheAmpMan1 3rd Jun 2018 8:37 pm

Citric acid is quite safe (lemon juice), as is acetic acid (vinegar).
Oxalic acid is very good at removing rust stains. But be careful with oxalic acid, it is poisonous. It is present in rhubarb leaves and, to some extent, rhubarb stems, too. It is the reason why rhubarb shouldn't be cooked in aluminium saucepans; it dissolves the aluminium, but it does leave the pan looking beautifully shiny!
Colin.

Chris55000 4th Jun 2018 7:15 pm

Hi!

Quote:

Unless you intend regularly removing and replacing the speaker, what advantage do they have over straight-through machine screws?
Speed and ease of insertion!

The larger shoulder with the LH screw thread enables the screws to be driven in anticlockwise with a power tool until the head is flush with, or slightly sunk into, the surface of the baffle-board, they then have the advantage of staying in place whilst the LS drive unit is secured to the rear of the baffle with nuts and washers, something a conventional countersunk machine-screw doesn't have!

Unfortunately I haven't been able to identify a name for them either - self-retaining wood bolts perhaps?

Chris Williams

poppydog 4th Jun 2018 9:24 pm

Thanks for all the replies and the links, unfortunately I can't seem to find the sizes I want. On mine the wood screw thread on a couple them has rotted and they have lost their "grip" so I have ended up having to carefully remove the speaker cloth to get them out. For now I have wound some very thin wire around the remaining woodscrew thread, put a small dollop of epoxy on them and wound them in as best I can, they seem to be holding. Not a class repair :-] but what else can I do? As said in a previous thread, this isn't the greatest example of an Ekco radio.

Surprised nobody on here knows the correct terminology for them though??

Regards
Poppydog

AC/HL 5th Jun 2018 9:36 am

They must have had a name once, but it would probably have been more cabinet maker trade oriented, so not so well known. Maybe as bland as "blind or single sided speaker mounting post" or some-such, or even just a pattern number.

TonyDuell 5th Jun 2018 12:45 pm

RS used to do them about 30 years ago (not any more though) and called them 'Speaker Screws' (including the quotes) in the catalogue. So no proper name there either.

Bobdger 5th Jun 2018 4:00 pm

All parts still have them Amp screws - speaker mounting screw (12) with wood and machine thread (lock nuts included)
Part number 2253409
Bob

dseymo1 5th Jun 2018 6:25 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris55000 (Post 1049118)
Hi!

Quote:

Speed and ease of insertion!

<snip>

Chris Williams

I appreciate the advantages for production, but what I meant (and should have said) is why not replace them with ordinary machine screws? Authenticity, or something not quite so obvious?

1100 man 5th Jun 2018 11:38 pm

Hi Poppydog,
I'm sure I've got a few of those in my miscellaneous screws box. I seem to remember they came from a record player I stripped down some 35 years ago!! You are welcome to them if I still have them. Unfortunately, I won't be near said screw box for another month if you can wait that long?

Cheers
Nick

poppydog 6th Jun 2018 8:51 am

Hello Nick, I ended up re-using the old ones (see post 10). Thanks for the offer though:).
regards poppydog