UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Components and Circuits (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Need component identification please (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=157242)

Scimitar 12th Jun 2019 1:26 pm

Need component identification please

2 Attachment(s)
I have just stuffed my bike radio and looking on the control board for clues. What would you say this component was? I know what I think it is, but before I do anything else, I wanted a second opinion. Meter reads open circuit, no initial response on connecting the test leads. Voltage either side differs.

Martin G7MRV 12th Jun 2019 1:28 pm

Re: Need component identification please

Crystal or ceramic resonator

Scimitar 12th Jun 2019 1:29 pm

Not what I thought it was then! Thanks.

Martin G7MRV 12th Jun 2019 1:37 pm

Bet you thought it was a fuse?

I've seen crystals and fuses in exactly the same size and shape packages at this size! The give away is that it's right up by a big IC, presumably a custom microcontroller. You'll most likely find that it connects to two of that chip's pins.

Scimitar 12th Jun 2019 2:54 pm

I hoped it might be a fuse, but SMD fuses seem to be always square section rather than tubular.

I am stuck now, I don't know if it is the radio or the control head at fault. Secondhand they are £200 each so not sure what to do about it. The equipment is made by Becker and it is a Professional 2000 CD/Radio with separate controls. Very similar to BMW cars E36 onwards.

Martin G7MRV 12th Jun 2019 2:58 pm

I think square section fuses are more common than the round ones, and likewise round crystals more common than the square ones! But then crystals and resonators come in all manner of rectangles, cylinders, etc

I once had to repair a transceiver with a round crystal, a round fuse, and several MELF power resistors all on the same sub-PCB!

Mooly 12th Jun 2019 3:02 pm

Have you stuck a scope on it to see if anything plausible is on there?

I agree with Martin that the location suggests a crystal of some kind although tbh, I've also never seen one quite like that. Too much contact surface area that could radiate HF noise. Could it be some kind of backup device (although again, never seen one like that)?

Radio Wrangler 12th Jun 2019 5:28 pm

I agree. Location suggests a crystal or ceramic resonator for clocking a chipful of logic. I too have never seen one in that package. There are often two chip capacitors associated with them.

Becker make good quality stuff (and I design stuff in competition with them)

David

Trigon. 12th Jun 2019 5:53 pm

1 Attachment(s)
It's a Murata CSAC series ceramic resonator (date coded 'G' = July 2013 / July 2017).

Attachment 184944

Cheers

Mooly 12th Jun 2019 6:49 pm

Good detective work, I can't say I've ever come across that outline before :thumbsup:

Scimitar 12th Jun 2019 7:10 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trigon. (Post 1152098)
It's a Murata CSAC series ceramic resonator (date coded 'G' = July 2013 / July 2017).

Attachment 184944

Cheers

The controller is original to the bike and is a 2004 reg, so your date may be a tiny bit out. :D

Scimitar 12th Jun 2019 7:11 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler (Post 1152095)
I agree. Location suggests a crystal or ceramic resonator for clocking a chipful of logic. I too have never seen one in that package. There are often two chip capacitors associated with them.

Becker make good quality stuff (and I design stuff in competition with them)

David

Yes there were two chip capacitors behind it. Sort of gives the game away once you calm down enough to think it through!

Trigon. 12th Jun 2019 7:15 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scimitar (Post 1152123)

The controller is original to the bike and is a 2004 reg, so your date may be a tiny bit out. :D

Apparently then the four year date cycle goes back further than it did in the document I found. Must be July 2001 !

Cheers